PDA

View Full Version : omg chalk is AMAZING!

GMCtrk
04-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Holy craapppp never AGAIN will I use straps to deadlift....I bought some chinese magnesium carbonate and holy crap, my grip was amazing..... :bow: :bow:

Canadian Crippler
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM
OMG LIEK YEH TOTALY!!!!!111!~

Honestly though, I really need to look into chalk. There's like 3 or 4 exercises I do that I lose grip on. Glad it worked well for you!

GMCtrk
04-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Definitely pick up chalk, its really cheap, and it so much better than using straps, you don't have to waste your turn wrapping straps. I could have easily held 500 tonight

Optimum08
04-02-2005, 11:38 PM
hmmm i def needa to hit up some chalk cuz i lose my grip on my cleans a good amount of time....where did u get yours GMC?

GMCtrk
04-03-2005, 12:21 AM
hmmm i def needa to hit up some chalk cuz i lose my grip on my cleans a good amount of time....where did u get yours GMC?

sports authority....it comes in like a 2" x 2" block. Cost about $1.50 I think. well worth it

Sidior
04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I find chalk to be awesome for sure, but on heavy lifts like deads do you really think it can replace straps?

GMCtrk
04-03-2005, 12:29 AM
I find chalk to be awesome for sure, but on heavy lifts like deads do you really think it can replace straps?

YES! I was amazed. It almost felt like my grip on my dead was better WITHOUT the straps!

Last time i deaded 405 with straps, tongiht i do 415 with chalk, and grip never came into play. I even held the weight a good 10 seconds at the top.

Only thing i dont like about it was the mess i made

shansen008
04-03-2005, 02:04 PM
A lot of gyms, including mine dont allow chalk, otherwise id use it too. =/

idzeroone
04-03-2005, 02:23 PM
A lot of gyms, including mine dont allow chalk, otherwise id use it too. =/

try a chalk ball by metolius. it's used by rockclimbers and is excellent. i got mine from rei. the chalk is inside a sock and doesn't make a mess. you won't make a mess and your gym probably wouldn't say anything about its use

Bruise Brubaker
04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I put some powdered chalk in a sock and put that in a little metalic box. Perfect to avoid a mess. Just press it a couple of times in your hands and you have chalked hands.

Chalk is like the pope, except that chalk will never die.

Max-Mex
04-03-2005, 03:34 PM
YES! I was amazed. It almost felt like my grip on my dead was better WITHOUT the straps!

Last time i deaded 405 with straps, tongiht i do 415 with chalk, and grip never came into play. I even held the weight a good 10 seconds at the top.

Only thing i dont like about it was the mess i made

Ecco ball. Works wonders...leaves no mess. You can find it at REI.com.

pfc3rex
04-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks for all the great advice on chalk, I'm going to get some soon, I hope it becomes a necessity!

GMCtrk
04-04-2005, 01:33 AM
what kind of sock is best to put the chalk in? Do you want to use a thick tube sock or a real thin sock?

slapshot111
04-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Haha... ummmm... too soon?

_8_Ball
04-04-2005, 03:46 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lame...

rookiebldr
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I just keep mine in a ziplock bag and clean up with a towel afterwards. I only use it on a few exercises too so it's not like I leave it around on all the equipment.

thanky0ujesus
04-08-2005, 02:15 PM
how long will an eco ball last? better off just buying plain old chalk and putting it in a sock of some sort?

Max-Mex
04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
uhm...honestly, i dont know. :D I never kept track. Try both and see which you like better. You'll get fewer complaints from gyms with an ecco ball than with any regular chalk (no mess with an ecco ball).

xDanielTreffryx
04-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Chalk is like the pope, except that chalk will never die.[/QUOTE]

Unholy
04-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Pope = chalk ?

:birthday:

GMCtrk
04-16-2005, 09:41 PM
god, I just DL again tonight and my grip is a NON ISSUE with chalk. 405 goes up smoothly with no loss of grip at all, and i have small hands and relatively weak grip. so you bigger guys should have no problem holding weight with chalk. why even use straps?

Den Fisher
04-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Why would some gyms not allow chalk? The only place the chalk makes a mess is on yourself. It's funny after I deadlift and then I scratch my back and stuff not knowing. Then when I walk past the mirror I see I have chalk all over my shirt, pants, back, EVERYWHERE. But I never noticed if the chalk actually worked on not, since the grid on the barbell is so thick that my hand is imprinted into when I'm done.. and does anyone else tear up their hands everytime they deadlift?

Organichu
04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
and does anyone else tear up their hands everytime they deadlift?

Yes; even on fairly light working sets (60% of max) I get huge, jelly bean sized callouses at the base of my three middle fingers (pointer, middle, ring).

AKraut
04-19-2005, 09:54 PM
I've been using straps as a crunch deadlifting for almost 2 years. I'm just scared at how much my dead will drop when I finally get rid of them. I failed on 485 last friday and the limiting factor was definitely muh grip, and that's WITH straps.

GMCtrk
04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
I've been using straps as a crunch deadlifting for almost 2 years. I'm just scared at how much my dead will drop when I finally get rid of them. I failed on 485 last friday and the limiting factor was definitely muh grip, and that's WITH straps.

your obviously not using straps correctly, becuase your wrists will rip off first before you lose grip of the bar with straps. Remember, if you have your hands over the bar, start wrapping from the underside. If your hands are under the bar, then wrap starting from the topside.

AKraut
04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
your obviously not using straps correctly, becuase your wrists will rip off first before you lose grip of the bar with straps. Remember, if you have your hands over the bar, start wrapping from the underside. If your hands are under the bar, then wrap starting from the topside.

Hmm.. I've always used mixed grip and just wrapped the straps the same way my hands were going. I guess that makes a lot more sense, a huge powerlifter showed me right when I got them and I never thought of changing it. Thanks.

twm
05-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Chalk is like the pope, except that chalk will never die.Hahaha, 1 month later the dripping irony makes me piss my pants