PDA

View Full Version : bulking supplements question... read please!

Jay-X
04-03-2005, 06:18 AM
hi everybody, i'm 5'9 (175 cm) tall (i mean, short:)) and i weigh 63kgs (that is like 140-143lbs, or something like that). i want to get up to AT LEAST 70kgs (155lbs) before june.
i found out that there's a new store next to my house, sport nutrition, with lots of stuff made for bulking.

i particularly liked these bars, that provide:

18g of proteins
27g of carbs
5g of fats

1. is this good enough?
2. how many should i eat each day?
3. i don't want to spend too much, so do you suggest that i should take more on workout days or on rest days?
4. do you think it's best to eat them right after the workout (i workout at night, so i'd eat them before going to bed), after meals, at school, or when?! or maybe it doesn't really matter when i take them?

add other infos, if you like to, since i'm not very knowledgeable about the matter
thanks to everybody!

getfit
04-03-2005, 06:22 AM
i would concentrate more on your diet(food)

protein bars tend to be quite pricey, if money is the issue for you just spend it on food !

read the sticky on what a bodybuilder eats!

pruneman
04-03-2005, 07:12 AM
I'll bet they're expensive...think how many jars of peanut butter you could buy for the same price!! :p

getfit
04-03-2005, 07:15 AM
I'll bet they're expensive...think how many jars of peanut butter you could buy for the same price!! :p
:withstupi ;)

Built
04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Nothing is more anabolic than food.

Jay-X
04-03-2005, 01:26 PM

actually they cost less than 3$, so that's not too much of a problem

AdmiralDan
04-03-2005, 01:38 PM
the bars may cost 3 bucks but they are one serving. a jar of peanut butter is 14 servings and i get them for 2 bucks a piece. the point that they are trying to make is that protein bars are a very expensive way to get calories. you would be better off buying real foods. you will get more out of those real foods than you would get out of protein bars.

i eat protein bars, and from experience, there are better ways to get calories and nutrients. the only reason i eat them is because i get them pretty much for free by using meal credits that would normally go to waste in a convenience store. i would much rather get and eat real food, but that isn't an option.

no regrets
04-03-2005, 02:33 PM
$3 can get you a bunch of eggs

CarlP
04-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Or a gallon of milk.

Collegekid
04-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Plus, don't be fooled by the marketing....there's nothing magic about "protein bars" that are going to make you get bigger and stronger...they're just food like anything else, and typically they've got a lot of crap along with the protein.

There's really no reason to eat protein bars unless you absolutely can't get your hands on real food for one reason or another.

The carbs in protein bars are either going to be sugar or sugar alcohol, neither of which will do anything to give you muscle mass.