PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?...about calories

Kylethechaotic
04-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Is it true that you have to have alot of calories along with the right amount of protien to gain muscle?...also is it true that sugar deteriorirates muscles, because the other day at work i had like 150 grams of sugar in a meal i had, i felt bad about it, i prolly lost some muscle...haha, i hope not, you guys think you could lose muscle from that, or it happens over a long period of time.

neartaigh
04-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Yes. For each gram of sugar you eat, you will lose EXACTLY that amount of muscle.

Also, your penis will shrink.

Dude, of course you need to eat to put on muscle, and protien is the basis of muscle growth. Sugars in excess will make you fat.

Go into the articles section on this site (or any bb site for that matter) and do some basic reading about sports nutrition, K?

Kylethechaotic
04-03-2005, 09:15 AM
i SENSE the sarcasm above...i know about protien, but what about calories, do i have to have them to make my muscles grow?..

Spartan936
04-03-2005, 09:27 AM
To build muscle you need excess calories, enough protein, and some sort of physical stimulus (working out). That's it. It helps to know what's best to eat for you, and how you should plan a lifting routine.

lol @ neartaigh

neartaigh
04-03-2005, 10:27 AM
i SENSE the sarcasm above...i know about protien, but what about calories, do i have to have them to make my muscles grow?..

Kyle, I`m gonna say it again. Read some basic materials about sports nutrition.

Food is calories. In the simplest terms, calories come from 3 macronutrients: Fats, Protiens, and Carbohydrates.

So, uh...yeah, you need calories to gain muscle. You need calories to live, basically.

If your question is how many calories, and from what sources, well that all depends on your goals.

You need to read some basic sports nutrition information before you even know what questions to ask, comprende?

the one
04-03-2005, 11:22 AM
i think hes trying to fiure all that out. and excess sugar wont make you fat, excess kcals will.

waynis
04-03-2005, 12:11 PM
If you don't have enough calories while weight training you won't see good results. That's why on bulk some eat whatever they want and aren't too concerned about calories because they strictly want to gain muscle. At the same time too much calories can make you fat.

wrestlemaniac
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Woah, why the hell have all these newbies been asking if sugar has a negitive effect on muscles lately? Has there been a new infomertial out?

Sugar is not bad for your muscles. It can be bad for your waistline though.

Built
04-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm wondering about that.

Did Mercola post up something weird again?

Slim Schaedle
04-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Food is calories. In the simplest terms, calories come from 3 macronutrients: Fats, Protiens, and Carbohydrates.

And alcohol (7 kCal/gram) :windup:

KiwiBuilder
04-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Well, piling them on your kitchen table and staring at them sure isn't going to help :)

jack_of_all
04-03-2005, 03:53 PM
i thought alcohol is the same as carbs/protein... ive never done the math looking at nutrition facts though. ive never heard of sugar f'ing up your muscles either, but im not on the up and up with infomercials/muscle mags...

IRN-BRU
04-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Eating 150g of sugar wont make you lose any muscle. You will burn it for energy, some will turn into fat. Don't worry about it unless you do it so often you get fatter than you'd like.

You don't need "alot" of cals and the right amount of protein. You need the right amount of cals, and "alot" of protein.

Assuming you're a beginner in your early teens, and not just a muscle bound meat-head, don't worry too much about the details/gossip/hype. Just lift weights and eat lots of healthy, protein-rich food while you research all the basic articles over the next few weeks and months, there are lots on this very website in the articles sections. You will get muscles.

You cant just ask "I wanna tryz brain transplantz can someone xplain removal plz? Thanks. I'll come bak to findz out how to get my new one back oki.". Oh boy.

the one
04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
alcohol=7kcals/gram

pfc3rex
04-04-2005, 01:22 AM
And alcohol (7 kCal/gram) :windup:

lol

Surferboy
04-04-2005, 01:38 AM
alcohol=7kcals/gram

I just recently gave up booze and I found I didnt have enough energy for even quarter the workout i was used to(just maintenance). I realized on friday what was happening, so over the weekend i gorged myself :nod: big time. today I had a back and leg workout and i was able to push myself like i was 18 again :thumbup:

While you do not need energy to contract muscles(think rigormortis)you need energy to relax and build muscle. virtually every step of protien synthesis requires energy.

IZich
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I just recently gave up booze and I found I didnt have enough energy for even quarter the workout i was used to(just maintenance). I realized on friday what was happening, so over the weekend i gorged myself :nod: big time. today I had a back and leg workout and i was able to push myself like i was 18 again :thumbup:

While you do not need energy to contract muscles(think rigormortis)you need energy to relax and build muscle. virtually every step of protien synthesis requires energy.
hmm.. not sure what you're saying. So you binge drank on the weekend and you could lift like the hulk?

Punk In Drublic
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Yea that made no sense.

Ever hear of the 48-hour syndrome?

JTyrell710
04-04-2005, 06:03 PM
whats the 48 hour syndrome?

Shao-LiN
04-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Food contains calories. So yes, you need to have calories in order to make your muscles grow.