PDA

View Full Version : Question about Gatorade powder......

Collegekid
04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been drinking gatorade w/whey for my PWO shake, but it's getting kinda expensive and inconvenient so I'm thinking about ordering the powder instead.

I was just wondering, how many carbs are in one pouch of the powder? Is it easy to measure out a specific amount?

shansen008
04-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Dont even bother if its for your PWO shake, just buy some bulk dextrose, its super cheap and that way you dont have to worry about different flavors.

Vido
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
If you're going to buy it, buy a large tub of it. I'm sure individual pouches of powder are far more costly.

shansen008, why would different flavours be a problem? :confused:

Collegekid
04-03-2005, 03:36 PM
If I go with maltodextrin or dextrose, should I just get one (if so, which one) or should I get both and mix them? Also, what's a good site to order from?

EDIT: Ok, I found maltodextrin and dextrose at this website, but under the description for malto it says this: "Carbo Gain is a 100% pure complex carbohydrate supplement derived from maltodextrin, an easily digestible blend of complex carbohydrates from corn starch." I thought malto was supposed to be a simple sugar, not a complex carb...?

Then, under the nutrition facts it says TOTAL CARBS: 47g, SUGAR: 2g

????

Sidior
04-03-2005, 06:26 PM
do u have any bulk barns/barrels around? you can get dextrose cheaper there than anywhere else

Built
04-03-2005, 06:50 PM
I do half malto and half dextrose.

Malto is a complex carb in that it's two dextrose molecules bonded together. So, not VERY complex, but not simple like dextrose.

Level quarter cup has about 40g carb. (I weighed mine on my food scale at home)

Collegekid
04-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Level quarter cup has about 40g carb. (I weighed mine on my food scale at home)

Is that 1/4 cup of malto or dextrose? (or a 1/4 cup of the 50/50 mix?)

shansen008
04-03-2005, 10:46 PM
If you're going to buy it, buy a large tub of it. I'm sure individual pouches of powder are far more costly.

shansen008, why would different flavours be a problem? :confused:

From how i understood his post, hes either drinking gatorade and then a PWO shake...or mixing his PWO shake with gatoarde. Thats just plain nasty heh.

Introducing Vanilla Lime gatorshake!!!!!!

or how about CHocolate Riptide Rush!!

I just think it would be simpler to buy bulk dex for PWO.

Collegekid
04-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Actually, Berry or Fruit Punch Gatorade isn't that bad with either chocolate or vanilla whey.

But regardless, I'm leaning towards buying dex and malto. So a 50/50 mix is what most people do...or just dex?

Shao-LiN
04-04-2005, 01:03 AM
If I go with maltodextrin or dextrose, should I just get one (if so, which one) or should I get both and mix them? Also, what's a good site to order from?

????

Get one, or get both, it doesn't matter much.

Built
04-04-2005, 02:10 AM
The carb count of malto is about the same as dextrose. Quarter cup of either is about 40g carb.

If you need to eat like you live in a lab, do what the rest of us anal-retentive freaks do and buy a food scale.

:p

pfc3rex
04-04-2005, 02:32 AM
alright im still getting into the swing of things here, what all should i use in my pwo shake? i definitely know you need dextrose, and your creatine what else would you suggest?

JiggaHertz
04-04-2005, 04:05 PM
From how i understood his post, hes either drinking gatorade and then a PWO shake...or mixing his PWO shake with gatoarde. Thats just plain nasty heh.

Introducing Vanilla Lime gatorshake!!!!!!

or how about CHocolate Riptide Rush!!

Haha, it may sounds disgusting, but fruit punch gatoraide and strawberry whey is pretty good. Tastes like some of the bottled shakes I've tried.

Also, in regards to the OP. If you're still thinking about buying gatorade powder, it's actually better for post work out than the liquid stuff - this is discussed in the pre, during and post workout sticky.

Collegekid
04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah I know it's better, I was just wondering if its easy to measure out a specific amount or if it just comes in a standard size and u have to estimate.

Built
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Orange, with vanilla protein tastes like a creamsicle.

Vido
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Orange, with vanilla protein tastes like a creamsicle.

Orange with chocolate protein's tasty too.

getfit
04-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Orange with chocolate protein's tasty too.
that made me think of these chocolates i had once with orange filling oh yum!

shansen008
04-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Heh you guys are wacky. =)

JiggaHertz
04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah I know it's better, I was just wondering if its easy to measure out a specific amount or if it just comes in a standard size and u have to estimate.

If you get the 2 gallon (i think it is) container, it comes with a measuring scoop and ratios for a glass, quart, half gallon, gallon. I think it's something like 1 serving = 1 scoop = 8oz, so it's pretty easy to figure out how much you're drinking.