PDA

View Full Version : Regular Eating

ILL_Mitch
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I want to gain like maybe 10 pounds over the next couple months;

so if I eat regularly (not too much not too little) and still work really hard in the gym, will I still be able to make these gains; like without eating like a horse?

(I'd still be eating decently of course)

Thanks

EJFan
04-04-2005, 12:51 PM
gotta have a caloric surplus to gain... not just work hard. personally, i'm still trying to nail down how many calories i need to bulk.

crazedwombat
04-04-2005, 01:03 PM
add calories and to gain more weight than 1-2 lbs of muscle anything more than that will be fat. EJFan your body weight * 13 is a good estimate

EJFan
04-04-2005, 01:55 PM
EJFan your body weight * 13 is a good estimate

thanks... it's not the math that's hangin' me up... i keep adding cal's and haven't gained yet. lol. i phyiscally can't eat any more but i'm workin' on it.

JiggaHertz
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
thanks... it's not the math that's hangin' me up... i keep adding cal's and haven't gained yet. lol. i phyiscally can't eat any more but i'm workin' on it.

How many cals have you added compared to what you normally eat?

EJFan
04-04-2005, 08:38 PM
How many cals have you added compared to what you normally eat?

i've been inching my way up and am now around 2500-2600/day. at ~165 this is still in maintenance range for me... haven't gained or lost an ounce in weeks and BF% is still the same as well (which is good). the weights & reps are going up but my weight is stagnant.

sorry for the momentary hijack, mitch.

Shao-LiN
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
EJFan your body weight * 13 is a good estimate

A good estimate for cutting/borderline maintenance. Of course, everyone is different, but 14-16 is the general recommendation for maintenance estimates.

pfc3rex
04-05-2005, 01:05 AM
what do you mean by 14-16? is that what you suppose to multiply your bodyweight by to get how many calories you need for bulking?

EJFan
04-05-2005, 10:37 AM
what do you mean by 14-16? is that what you suppose to multiply your bodyweight by to get how many calories you need for bulking?

yeah... the GENERAL formula is BWx12 to cut, BWx15 for maintenance and BWx17 to bulk. there are a lot of other, more complex, formulas available but these give fair guidelines. EVERY BODY is different, so you can't go just by the simple formula... it's just a starting point. there also a good formula in the "nutrition and diet" section of the WBB articles.

Chizniz16
04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I dont know about those numbers, your better off using a BMR calculator, just search for it on google and type in what it asks(age, height, weight) and it will tell you the amount of calories you need to consume in one day to mantain your weight(maintenance). Then add 500 to that if bulking, if cutting subtract 500.

Canadian Crippler
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Mitch I'll make this simple for you since I know how lazy you are :D.

Recording down what you eat on www.fitday.com . Start at 2750 calories. Right now you want 10lbs in 8 weeks, so you need a little over a pound each week. After the first week, see if you have gained any weight @ 2750. If not, up to 3000. See if you gain. If not, up to 3250. Repeat until you gain weight.

Aim for 1-1.5xBodyweight in grams of protein protein, 30-35% of calories from fat and the rest from carbs.

Shao-LiN
04-05-2005, 11:34 PM
I dont know about those numbers, your better off using a BMR calculator, just search for it on google and type in what it asks(age, height, weight) and it will tell you the amount of calories you need to consume in one day to mantain your weight(maintenance). Then add 500 to that if bulking, if cutting subtract 500.

Those calculators are estimates also. The point is to find a starting point, and adjust as necessary to get the desired results.

danlifter
04-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Your not going to gain muscle without a calorie surplus and protein