PDA

View Full Version : Over head squat problems.

JBrehm
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't usually do olympic lifts, but after finding a routine I'm preparing for online that incorperates olympic lifts I decided to try a few with light weight.

So, to get ready for lifts like the C&J I decided to try OHS's. Well I tried it with 25lb DBs and when I went down my lower back curved outwards and my arms moved forward (from lack of flexibility in my shoulders I'm guessing) causing the DBs to fall to the floor. Does anyone know whats wrong?

PowerManDL
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
You're doing them with dumbells.

JBrehm
04-05-2005, 04:38 PM
lol. thanks... but does it really matter that it's done with dumbells or a barbell? I tried with an empty barbell (I have a plain barbell I use for pull ups) also and the same thing happened, well.. my arms didn't fall forward, but my body forced them to move forward as I squated. Is this movement one that needs to be taught personally? And if so, what about all the other olympic lifts?

MixmasterNash
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Yes, it sounds like shoulder inflexibility.

JBrehm
04-05-2005, 05:18 PM
ok, how do I fix it? What stretches can I do? Also, what's wrong with my lower back curving outwards when my butt reaches my heals?

Maki Riddington
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
I can't say much since I have only what you are saying to go on, but I'd look at releasing your chest, lats and hip flexors. There could be more, but those are just a few of the main muscles that tend to be tight in the majority of people.

JBrehm
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
... so how can I increase flexibility in my shoulders, the main exercise I have problems with is the snatch, I haven't though tried the C&J so I don't know if shoulder inflexibility would have a role to play there.

TheMachine
04-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Ok, no body will want to admit it but Oly lifts are outside our realm of expertise. I suggest you go to the Midwest Maddogs Forum and address your question to Glenn Pendlay, he'll give you a good answer. He competed in the Olympics and now recruits for the US Oly Weightlifting Team. I don't know him personally but judging by his posts he is always eager to help out an Oly lifting enthusiast.

Bruise Brubaker
04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Basically, your whole body has to be flexible...
Overhead squat is probably the hardest exercise that ever existed.

AKraut
04-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I having been doing oly lifts long, but my only tip would be to make sure the barbell is above your ears and not in the position it would be say after a regular overhead press. When I do push presses sometimes it almost feels like the bar is going to rip my arms backwards...

conrad900
04-24-2005, 11:29 AM
The overhead squat, as someone mentioned, is for many, the hardest lift on the planet. I call it Yoga on a Stick, since the flexibility involved makes the lift like a weighted asana. Dumbbell over heads require EVEN MORE flexibility, so start with a really light training bar (like a 15 pound training barbell, if you can find one) or simply a broomstick of long dowel. Depth, for many, takes time. I've seen untrained folks drop right into a deep overhead, while my competitive powerlifting butt took about 3 months of steady training to be able to seriously break parallel. Now I have ass-to-floor squats and can play with variations (db's, kettlebells, narrow grip, etc.).

The trick? Mell Siff taught me this one. Go to the depth most comfortable (might not be very low... don't worry). Hold, and then just try an inch lower. Or half an inch. Anything to just get the hips a bit lower. Days and weeks of that and the hips will get deeper and deeper.