PDA

View Full Version : Whats MSG and whats bad about it?

YungLifter
04-05-2005, 06:03 PM
i heard theirs alot of msg in chinese foood and that thats bad for you when i go to chinese spot i usually get white rice,boiled/steamed shrimp,and tariachi chicken dont know how to spell tariachi lol does this have alot msg?

Collegekid
04-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Google

Shao-LiN
04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Teriyaki

EJFan
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
MSG is monosodiumglutamate... it's kind of like salt (though i don't know EXACTLY what it is).

a lot of people think they're allergic to it but that's mostly mental. the numbers of actual allergies are far lower than those CLAIMING to be allergic. most chinese restaurants, in fact, don't bother using MSG these days... but you can ask any restaurant to prepare your food w/o it when you order. if nothing else, it assures that your food was freshly made.

those who ARE allergic to it will generally get headaches unless the allergy is severe.

Built
04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
I get itchy skin down the front of my throat and upper chest if I eat something with a TON of MSG (like those instant noodle thingies, which suck anyway), but that's pretty much it. If there's just a little, I'm fine.

I don't think MSG is that big of a deal.

My .02

malkore
04-06-2005, 09:26 AM
MSG is like salt on steroids. In addition, many people are sensitive to MSG, and will get headaches, increased heart rate, rashes, flushed coloration of skin, etc.

UTFG - Use The F!@&ing Google

YungLifter
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
oooooooooo ok well none of that happens to me so i guess i should be ok

Vapour Trails
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM
MSG is monosodiumglutamate... it's kind of like salt (though i don't know EXACTLY what it is).

The name pretty much describes it, glutamate with a sodium atom bound to it.

manowar669
04-06-2005, 02:15 PM
a lot of people think they're allergic to it but that's mostly mental. the numbers of actual allergies are far lower than those CLAIMING to be allergic.

Kind of like the huge numbers of people out there who think or claim that they are lactose intolerant. MOST people (like 98%) have no problem with MSG (or lactose), it tastes great, enjoy it. In fact, go to the grocery store and buy some (sold under the brand name "Accent", and a few others I think). Try it in soups/chili, on steak, just about anything with chicken, tastes awesome!