PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gainer - Store bought or homemade?

trfe
04-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey fellas,

I'm getting about 3000 cals now, looking to bulk, and figure if i can get another 500-1000 cals into me it would be perfect. I am eating every 2 hours or so, and I realize that I still have a lot of work to do on my bulk diet, as in selection of high cal foods, I am very used to eating clean. I figure a weight gainer drink could only help.

I've read about homemade high cal/ high protein drinks people make, but how do people feel about store-bought weight gainers? Any suggestions on a specific one?

Thanks

blazini
04-09-2005, 02:24 AM
First off, you shouldn't be eating every 2 hours if you are trying to bulk. The whole point is to slow down your metabolism (by increase the time intervals in-between meals) and basically consume more calories than you burn.

Home-made versus Weight Gainer products -- Well, that's just a matter of preference really. I'd prefer a supplement, for numerous reasons. First, it's easy to make and easy to clean. Second, if you have a journal and track your caloric intake, it's a whole lot easier. Third, the ratios of protein, carbohydrates, and fat are in proper proportions (for the most part).

I'm a fan of Cytosports Cytogainer, then N-Large II.

AdmiralDan
04-09-2005, 06:34 AM
First off, you shouldn't be eating every 2 hours if you are trying to bulk. The whole point is to slow down your metabolism (by increase the time intervals in-between meals) and basically consume more calories than you burn.

Home-made versus Weight Gainer products -- Well, that's just a matter of preference really. I'd prefer a supplement, for numerous reasons. First, it's easy to make and easy to clean. Second, if you have a journal and track your caloric intake, it's a whole lot easier. Third, the ratios of protein, carbohydrates, and fat are in proper proportions (for the most part).

I'm a fan of Cytosports Cytogainer, then N-Large II.

wouldn't eating more often allow you to eat more than if you just sat down and ate a few times a day?

also, how is it hard to monitor calories with a homemade weight gainer? you can measure everything you put in there and from those measurements calculate calories. it seems like making it at home would be easier and cheaper. you could vary the shake depending on what you need. (ie add more fat, reduce carbs, etc.)

eddie500
04-09-2005, 10:23 AM
whats this homemade weight gainer, what kind of ingredients go in there?

Jabberwocky
04-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Whey, whole milk, natural peanut butter, oats, olive oil, cottage cheese, basically whatever you can stomach.

blazini
04-09-2005, 01:47 PM
wouldn't eating more often allow you to eat more than if you just sat down and ate a few times a day?

also, how is it hard to monitor calories with a homemade weight gainer? you can measure everything you put in there and from those measurements calculate calories. it seems like making it at home would be easier and cheaper. you could vary the shake depending on what you need. (ie add more fat, reduce carbs, etc.)

Nope, you'd have fewer but larger meals. The meals should be spaced out every 3 1/2 to 4 hours apart while on a bulk, at the same time not long enough to instigate a catabolic state within the body.

Calculating calories is more efficient when using a weight-gainer supplement. 1 Serving equals X, than you add your milks caloric addition. With a home-made weight gainer, the size of a banana, a bigger heap of peanut butter, a few extra berries, etc. can off-set your calculations.

Making it at home isn't nessarily cheaper.

AdmiralDan
04-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Nope, you'd have fewer but larger meals. The meals should be spaced out every 3 1/2 to 4 hours apart while on a bulk, at the same time not long enough to instigate a catabolic state within the body.

Calculating calories is more efficient when using a weight-gainer supplement. 1 Serving equals X, than you add your milks caloric addition. With a home-made weight gainer, the size of a banana, a bigger heap of peanut butter, a few extra berries, etc. can off-set your calculations.

Making it at home isn't nessarily cheaper.

last i remember, the idea that eating more often increases your metabolism was wrong. its been a while since i read up on it, but i thought they disproved it. anyway, how is it so hard to measure out the ingredients you put into your shake. that is why they make meausting instrumetns, so that you can measure things. as far as price, you can get all the materials needed to make your own weight gainer pretty cheap, peanut butter, protein powder, milk, oats, fruit. unless you get some super cheap weight gainer, i don't know how that would be cheaper than buying the other things in bulk and mixing them together

Collegekid
04-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Eating more often gives your muscles a constant flow of nutrients, allowing them to grow more efficiently. Eating often is good.

spanky33
04-09-2005, 03:16 PM
eating often also allows you to absorb more of what you eat

Optimum08
04-09-2005, 03:39 PM
eating=good