PDA

View Full Version : To much Sodium?

YungLifter
04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
every now and then i go out and get sandwich(blimpie/subway) im stuck between to sandwichs 1)Bufflo Chicken sub or Grilled chicken sub their both good but the bufflo chick sub has 2100mg of sodium and the grilled chicken has 880mg of sodium do u think i should stick to the grilled chicken instead? its 1000+ less mg dont know if thats alot or not or if it will effect me

Built
04-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Do a google search on sodium. Sodium is anabolic.

YungLifter
04-06-2005, 02:21 PM
i just googled itand found out its accually a benefitial compund for muscle growth that body builders try to cut it out and that sodium is accually good im guessing as long as you dont go over board b/c to much of a good thing sometimes isnt good so how much is too much? i just skimmed through article

Bruise Brubaker
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
As long as you have enough potassium and that you don't suffer blood pressure problems, it should be allright.

mickyjune26
07-17-2005, 01:25 PM
quick bump - How much is too much sodium, and what happens if you get too much?

I drink plenty of water and eat a banana/day, so I should be getting enough potassium to work with the sodium.

thx

Built
07-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Quit worrying.

:)

TOBART
07-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I was just worrying about this myself just minutes ago. I was feeling extra skinny this afternoon so I just finished eating 2 chicken bacon swiss sandwiches from Arby's. Looked up the nutritional info online and two of them have a total of 1140 cals, 54 g of protein and 3360 mg of sodium. Should I still not worry?

Now a 1 hour break and I'll pound another 1000 liquid calories into me. ahhhh

Built
07-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Not worry about what? The sodium, or the trans fats?

TOBART
07-17-2005, 03:11 PM
The sodium. Yeah the transfat worries me, that why I try to limit my fast food intake to once a week or less.

Built
07-17-2005, 03:13 PM
No worries on the sodium unless you have high blood pressure or some other health condition that precludes its consumption.

Shao-LiN
07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Stop obsessing over it. How much is too much? If you're diet is made up mostly of junk food, I'd guess that you're probably going overboard. If you're eating relatively clean, then stop worrying about it.

mickyjune26
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/thriftyliving/tl-salt.html

This much is too much:
Health experts recommend 1,100 - 3,300 mg of sodium per day for healthy adults. Most people eat 2,300 to 6,900 mg per day. This is too much sodium. Some people are salt/sodium sensitive. African Americans, Hispanics, and obese individuals are especially sensitive to salt.

This is why it is too much:
The body needs sodium to hold water in the blood vessels. Sodium also regulates water balance in all parts of the body. If too much water is held in the body, the amount of blood increases. If it increases too much, problems will arise. Sodium causes your body to retain more water in order to maintain an equilibrium in sodium density.

The increase in blood makes the heart work harder. The result can be high blood pressure. Other conditions, such as diabetes, can cause high blood pressure. The most common cause is eating too much salt/sodium. When high blood pressure is not controlled, it can lead to a heart attack, stroke or kidney disease.

So you may check your blood pressure and see if it is continually too high. Your sodium consumption levels may be the cause of the high pressure.

To lower blood pressure, blunt the effects of salt, and reduce the risk of kidney stones and bone loss, adults should consume 4.7 grams of potassium per day.
http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/Articles/sodium040304.htm

Built
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Health experts also recommend that healthy adults obtain no more than 15% of their calories from protein.

We're not normal people. We're athletes.

BG5150
07-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Health experts also recommend that healthy adults obtain no more than 15% of their calories from protein.

We're not normal people. We're athletes.

:withstupi You da man, Built! (so to speak)

Built
07-17-2005, 10:18 PM
:kiss: