PDA

View Full Version : fish oil caps, bang for buck

Bohizzle
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
did a search and saw one post that sort of addressed what i was looking into but not enough.

ok, well i went to this health store in a plaza around here, and i asked if they carried any cod liver oil and the lady asked me astonishedly "why would you want cod liver oil?!" and i said because i heard fish oil was a good source of fatty acids and that cod liver oil was the only one that i've heard of. she then proceeded to tell me that cod liver oil is terrible compared to other fish oils ie mackerel, salmon, mixed fish oils etc. Now, my question is, what is the best bang for ur buck fish oil? i realize that cod liver oil is not as good as the others, but it is also significantly cheaper, now is there a certain oil that reaches a happy median? thanks for any help.

Andrew

Big Bas
04-07-2005, 09:46 PM
find the one with the highest dha and epa levels...

Bohizzle
04-07-2005, 09:58 PM
aren't those also usually the most expensive ones? i'm trying to find a specific one that fits both price and high dha and epa levels. thanks for the reply.

Andrew

javyn
04-07-2005, 10:50 PM
the salmon oil from walmart is probably my favorite supplement of all time. i even like it better than the expensive barleans highest lignan flaxseed oil. get ready for some killer fish breath in the mornings though. and if your cat doesn't drink out of the toilet already, he will start to!

rexall salmon oil

1000mg tabs

serving 2 softgels
salmon oil 2000 mg
epa 160 mg
dha 240 mg

i dont know how these epa/dha levels compare with the more expensive stuff, but these make me feel great!

Built
04-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I buy whatever's on sale. (10g a day habit).

javyn
04-08-2005, 12:18 AM
10g a day?! ouch. i was taking 4g a day fish oil, and 1 tablespoon of flax oil, then i cut my finger chopping onions....blood damn near squirted across the room and it took 3 days for the cut to stop bleeding and close. since then i've cut back quite a bit. don't need my blood to be that thin!

blazini
04-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Avoid the softgels, and go for the liquid form.

If you are worried about the bang for the buck, simple buy flax seed oil.

AKraut
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
and if your cat doesn't drink out of the toilet already, he will start to!

:zipit: LOL

javyn
04-08-2005, 09:51 AM
ugh, i've never seen liquid salmon oil, and if i did i'd avoid that nasty stuff like the plauge. i think the caps are just fine, i alternate fish oil caps with barleans flaxseed oil anyway. but even the caps do me better than the liquid flaxseed. it must be the animal dha or whatever in it.

Bohizzle
04-08-2005, 10:26 AM
ok thanks for the input guys. what's the main difference between flax and fish oil? do fish oils have higher epa/dha?

Andrew

Built
04-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Fish oil is more bioavailable, as I understand it.

My body does NOT like flax oil, but fish oil is da' BOMB.

Big Bas
04-08-2005, 11:51 AM
i got my fish oil caps from www.1fast400.com

It was 100 caps for $3.25, plus shipping... the base shipping is $5.00, and ive gotten 5 bottles at a time for the base fee. that come out to $4.25 per 100 pills

Supplement facts:
Calories 10

Fish oil 1000mg

EPA 180mg
DHA 120mg

Pretty good bang for the buck

Oftentimes, i hear people say that fish oil caps give bad breath, or smelly burps, but i take about 10-12 a day, at 2 pill intervals, and I have never so much as tasted a thing. The bottle does smell bad tho

Vido
04-08-2005, 12:03 PM
10g a day?! ouch. i was taking 4g a day fish oil, and 1 tablespoon of flax oil, then i cut my finger chopping onions....blood damn near squirted across the room and it took 3 days for the cut to stop bleeding and close. since then i've cut back quite a bit. don't need my blood to be that thin!

I know fish oil can thin your blood, but I highly doubt 4g would do it.

Bohizzle
04-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Fish oil is more bioavailable, as I understand it.

My body does NOT like flax oil, but fish oil is da' BOMB.

thanks, and thanks to everyone else that replied as well.

Andrew

trfe
04-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Everyone is so crazy about fish oil...I've been taking it for years and it is just another pill to me. Why the excitement over this stuff, i don't get it.

I'm not trying to flame at all, just confused.
Maybe I'm just real laid-back but what is the big deal? It's not like it's protein or creatine where you see gains from it...

"My body does NOT like flax oil, but fish oil is da' BOMB."
"the salmon oil from walmart is probably my favorite supplement of all time."

Vido
04-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I agree trfe. It's beneficial to include in your diet, but it's nothing out of this world.

Built
04-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I guess it depends what you're taking it for.

For me, it's for the metabolic boost, immune function, and anti-inflammatory properties.

But I'm old. Every little bit helps.

And I take a lot of the stuff. I don't see the point in taking 2g a day.

javyn
04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah 4g of fish oil a day is nothing, but add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil, ends up being quite a bit. it takes 5-10 capsules of flaxseed oil to equal one tablespoon of the oil. just to give you an idea.

since flaxseed oil is from a plant, it has no epa or dha. only animal sources have that. but, a tablespoon of flaxseed oil has LOTS of omega 3, just the plant form of it.

i have taken salmon oil caps for about 6 months now, so maybe the difference is more noticeable to me since i haven't been on it as long. but to me, it is out of this world! not so much as muscle gains, but i noticed positive changes in my energy levels, stomache, and even mental outlook.

Vido
04-09-2005, 04:07 PM
I can't believe you notice anything from taking these various oils. IF I happen to have flax oil in my fridge (which is rare because I'm a student on a budget) I'll be taking in the neighbourhood of 10 tbsp/day. I can't say there's any significant difference to anything when I do this.

Built
04-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Doesn't matter if you believe it or not. I started taking it because I read research I understood and believed.

Anecdotally, I haven't had a cold or a flu in years, my metabolic rate is higher than it was in my twenties, and my bowel and joint inflammation have settled down.

Might be an old-person thing, son. To me, it's cheap insurance.

:)

javyn
04-09-2005, 06:44 PM
believe what you want, taking the oils to me is the difference between night and day. my hair grows thicker and more shiny, water beads off my skin in the shower, the eczema is completely gone from my hands and arms, my bowel function is actually normal for once in my life (ie, i'm not crapping immediately after eating, sometimes i even had to go BEFORE i was done with my meal!). all in all omega 3 oils are the best supplements i've ever taken. if i had to give everything up and only keep one supplement it would be the salmon oil. i'd even keep it over the multivitamins, zinc, and yes, even whey powder.

Vido
04-09-2005, 07:09 PM
You two both missed my point and it was really only directed at javyn. What I meant was that I can't believe you would notice results from taking such a minimal amount. I just don't agree that 1 tbsp of oil is anything significant at all.

To me, that's like taking 0.5g creatine/day and saying you blew up in size.

Built
04-09-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree - 2g is nothing. So is .5g creatine.

But on a person my size, 2g of creatine is meaningful and noticeable, and so is 10g of fish oil.

javyn
04-09-2005, 09:30 PM
the oils did nothing for my size, i stated that earlier. i'm talking about a difference in general health. if you dont want to believe that i feel better after taking omega 3 oils Vido, fine, dont know what to tell you except "ok, whatever?"

and 4g a day of fish oil is the recommended dosage per day for an adult. a tablespoon of flaxseed oil is well over 10g. 1 tablespoon of salt is a little over 18 grams. of course oil is more compact than salt, so my guess would be 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil = 15 grams = 15 capsules.

Vido
04-09-2005, 10:26 PM
the oils did nothing for my size, i stated that earlier. i'm talking about a difference in general health. if you dont want to believe that i feel better after taking omega 3 oils Vido, fine, dont know what to tell you except "ok, whatever?"

and 4g a day of fish oil is the recommended dosage per day for an adult. a tablespoon of flaxseed oil is well over 10g. 1 tablespoon of salt is a little over 18 grams. of course oil is more compact than salt, so my guess would be 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil = 15 grams = 15 capsules.

I wasn't talking about size, I was just using the creatine analogy to get my point across on the AMOUNT of oil you're using.

The "recommended" number of eggs you should consume in a week is 2 if I'm not mistaken. Point being, recommended dosages mean nothing and it's surprising to ME that such a small amount of oil would do anything. If you notice it working, then that's great. I said I've taken 10+ tbsp/day and not "noticed" anything...who the heck knows if it was actually doing something for me.

Double D
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
I have taken 6g of fish oil caps per day and never noticed a difference.

javyn
04-09-2005, 11:21 PM
well they are a huge help as far as lessening the symptoms of crohn's/inflammatory bowel disease

dissipate
04-10-2005, 01:03 AM
believe what you want, taking the oils to me is the difference between night and day. my hair grows thicker and more shiny, water beads off my skin in the shower, the eczema is completely gone from my hands and arms,
darn the fish oil didn't get rid of my eczema :/

javyn
04-10-2005, 12:32 PM
if you want a great natural cure for eczema dissipate, try rooibos tea. it is an herbal tea, so there is naturally no caffeine. 50% more antioxidants than green tea, cures ezcema (women in south africa apply it directly to their skin, but you can just drink it), curse colic in babies (and many other stomach probs, aids in digestion), and last but not least, regulates sleep! 2 cups of hot rooibos tea works better for me than any melatonin or pharmecutical junk you can put into your body. not only that, but you wake up refreshed instead of groggy. just make sure you don't have to function or drive or anything right after you drink it hot...it definately puts you under and influence. but it is completely safe and non-addictive.

http://www.africantea.com/Rooibos-Health/rooibos-health.html

Celestial Seasonings is currently expanding their rooibos tea line, and they are all good, but i have to say....the loose leaf tea is MUCH more potent. Here is where I order mine.

www.uptontea.com