PDA

View Full Version : Importance of diluting PWO Gatorade...

Collegekid
04-07-2005, 06:14 PM
So I was planning on ordering dextrose (and still am) but I saw some Gatorade powder at the store the other day so I bought a container.

The problem is that it says you need to mix 8 oz of water with each serving (15g sugar in each serving). I need 3-4 servings for PWO, which would mean I'd need 24-30 oz of water to mix it with.

But my shaker only holds like 20 oz, and especially after I put in the whey and the Gatorade powder it's not going to hold enough water to fully dilute the stuff.

How important is it to fully dilute is? The can says "for optimum performace, do not vary mixing measurements."

Shao-LiN
04-07-2005, 06:26 PM
seriously......?

Anthony
04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
The point is calories not dilution. Do whatever you want, because I gaurantee in 5 years you won't be saying, "Damn, I should have mixed my gatorade with 20oz instead of 18oz!!!!"

Collegekid
04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
point well taken.

the doc
04-07-2005, 06:47 PM
actually the dilution is important. If the mix is to concentrated, a great deal of energy will be expended by the digestive system against the osmotic pressure of the solution. You will actually be dehydrating yourself for a short period of time

gatorade has a lot of salts in it. That is the real benefit and the what makes it useful for strenuous exercise where a great deal of sweating has occured. The calories are not as important. therefore try and mix it close 30 oz as possible (within a few ounces)

Can you just mix it in two batches? Mix your gatorade creatine then mix your whey

Anthony
04-07-2005, 07:03 PM
doc, how concentrated would it have to be for that to occur? I am very skeptical that 4oz of water is going to make a difference in this situation ... especially since he's using gatorade in replacement of dextrose for pwo, not necessarily to rehydrate.

Collegekid
04-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Yeah i'm not using it to re-hydrate....what if I mixed it with a little less than the 30 oz required, but then drank a little extra water separately?

Also, is dilution as important with regular dextrose? I'm planning on getting some of that anyway.

SpecialK
04-07-2005, 08:10 PM
1. Mix 2 servings gatorade in cup with 16 oz water + 1/2 of your whey
2. drink
3. Mix 2 more servings gatorade in cup with 16 oz water + the othe half of your whey
4. drink

Isaac Wilkins
04-07-2005, 08:13 PM
A 6% glucose solution is about optimal for absorption speed and making it worth your time to drink, which is about what Gatorade has.

Why do you think Gatorade is patented and better than its competitors? Because the University of Florida spent a lot of money doing studies on maximal absorption rates.

Collegekid
04-07-2005, 08:25 PM
SpecialK, I'd do that but it's kinda inconvenient because I pour the whey and Gatorade powder in a shaker at home, then take it with me to the gym and mix it right after I workout. I guess I could just use two shakers and put half in each, but that's kinda a pain in the ass to bring two shakers.

Isaac Wilkins
04-07-2005, 08:34 PM
In the grand scheme of things it's not going to matter for a weightlifter. You'll have plenty of time to absorb it, and if you lose a few extra calories because of active transport along the way it won't be a huge issue.

It matters more for distance athletes who consume it during their competition.

the doc
04-08-2005, 05:36 AM
i think borris has summed it up nicely. Where this concentration issue becomes very important is for an athlete who has significantly perspired (and therefore needs eletrolyte replenishment)

a few oz wont make much of a difference for most people; however, if you are doing the farmers walk with 150 lb in both hands and its 90 degrees out - now it is becoming significant

the doc
04-08-2005, 05:37 AM
also its not just the 6% glucose but also the ionic strength of the solution that is very important for optimal absorbtion

Collegekid
04-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Is dilution as important if I were using just regular dextrose or malto?

Vapour Trails
04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Is dilution as important if I were using just regular dextrose or malto?

Yes, you don't want the solution to be too concentrated.

Collegekid
04-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, you don't want the solution to be too concentrated.

Ok...what's the right ratio of water to use with dext/malto?

Shao-LiN
04-08-2005, 10:36 PM
holy crap...obsessive compulsive. Pop enough water in to make you comfortable enough to drink it and go at it.