04-08-2005, 01:45 AM
why is eating after 8 not good?i still dont get it

IZich
04-08-2005, 01:51 AM
who said its bad?

Fat guy
04-08-2005, 01:54 AM
who said its bad?

they say anything u eat after 8pm will go as fat,i read it here once...

Haaji Dont Surf
04-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Not everyone wakes up at the same time and goes to bed at the same time... My 8pm could be your 12am... And on top of that who say's you are not going to do something that will burn fat after 8pm? If I eat at 9:30pm then go jog three miles, I am more than sure it'll go bye-bye.

Fat guy
04-08-2005, 01:57 AM
ok i see

thanks alot

Haaji Dont Surf
04-08-2005, 01:57 AM
ok i see

thanks alot
Well, wait for a few more replies. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
That was just my SWAG.

IZich
04-08-2005, 02:14 AM
FIRST of all, read the WBB articles on Nutrient timing.
basically, your body rebuilds muscles the most while you're sleeping; therefore, it is important to replenish your nutrients right before you go to bed, making sure that you will have enough protein and other stuff in your system to "make it all the way til waking."

Fatdude, i challenge you to find that post where it says that past 8pm, whatever you eat will turn to fat.

blazini
04-08-2005, 02:28 AM
IZich, you need to relax.

The question I think you ment to ask was if it is fine to have a meal prior to your bed-time. If that is the question, than yes it is fine -- to an extent. For many reasons, you should try to avoid high in carb foods, such as pasta. Tuna, protein shake, cottage cheese, they are fine high in protein, low in carb foods.

Good luck.

Fat guy
04-08-2005, 02:32 AM
thanks dude,

TheGimp
04-08-2005, 02:59 AM
IZich, you need to relax.

The question I think you ment to ask was if it is fine to have a meal prior to your bed-time. If that is the question, than yes it is fine -- to an extent. For many reasons, you should try to avoid high in carb foods, such as pasta. Tuna, protein shake, cottage cheese, they are fine high in protein, low in carb foods.

Good luck.

Many reasons? Please list some. There is nothing wrong with carbs before bed.

blazini
04-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Late night carbohydrates interfere with the release of growth hormones and sanctions fat storage while one sleeps. Your insulin sensitivity also changes as a day progresses, that's why you should have your carbohydrates early in the day. If you need more reasoning, google it. ;)

_-_v_-_
04-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Not true.

This had been discussed ad nauseum.

Punk In Drublic
04-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I wish I knew what ad nauseum ment.

_-_v_-_
04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
It means, basically: "to the point of inducing nausea."

Similarly, "ad infinitum" means "to infinity."

ryuage
04-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I wish I knew what ad nauseum ment.

thats what a dictionary is for ever heard of a dictionary? a dictionary is
A reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, usually including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology.

Holto
04-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Ryuage for mod...(seriously)

Built
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
The carbs at bedtime thing really seems to vary a lot from person to person.

If I train at night, which is most of the time, I eat carbs after I train. So I'll have plenty of carbs in me at bedtime, and I'm cutting right now.

However, if I've trained earlier in the day, I get a few carb-laden meals into me post workout, but I'm back to protein and fat for the rest of the day.

That's just me though. But I'm cutting, and it's working.

I'm a big fan of not fixing non-broken things - if it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, change it.

Vido
04-08-2005, 12:08 PM
A reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, usually including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology.

lol

Vido
04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Late night carbohydrates interfere with the release of growth hormones and sanctions fat storage while one sleeps. Your insulin sensitivity also changes as a day progresses, that's why you should have your carbohydrates early in the day. If you need more reasoning, google it. ;)

:rolleyes:

Vido
04-08-2005, 12:10 PM
And to answer the original post...you should be eating all day, which includes a pre-bedtime meal.

spencerjrus
04-08-2005, 12:11 PM

can i have your babies?

blazini
04-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Not true.

Before you jump the gun and say "Not true.", it's always better to give some back-bone such as a scientific source for your posting.

_-_v_-_
04-08-2005, 05:06 PM
I posted quickly because I was in a hurry.

While I admit that there may in theory be circadian fluctuations in carbohydrate sensitivity, I have yet to see a single shred of evidence supporting the argument that such transitory metabolic variations have even the slightest practical impact. Any difference in The laws of thermodynamics still hold.

Here's a good thread:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?showtopic=15052

Here's a well-researched piece:

http://www.thebullmagazine.com/magmain.php?issueID=14&pageID=139

Also, go here:

www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums

Lyle knows what he's talking about.

blazini
04-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I posted quickly because I was in a hurry.

While I admit that there may in theory be circadian fluctuations in carbohydrate sensitivity, I have yet to see a single shred of evidence supporting the argument that such transitory metabolic variations have even the slightest practical impact. Any difference in The laws of thermodynamics still hold.

Here's a good thread:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?showtopic=15052

Here's a well-researched piece:

http://www.thebullmagazine.com/magmain.php?issueID=14&pageID=139

Also, go here:

www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums

Lyle knows what he's talking about.

Do you really think this supports anything?

Links to forums which are based on opinion and meal frequencies, and an article based on an experiment that didn't have any scientific backing (which I might add, didn't include several important factors). That's like believing the support percentile before the Bush elections :), when we know their bias just to support their campaign.

_-_v_-_
04-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Would you like me to break out the Pubmed?

This evening, I will. Put it this way: show me studies that DO support the proposition that dietary practices based upon transient fluctuations in carbohydrate sensitivity will effect statistically significant differences in body composition.

Vido
04-08-2005, 09:01 PM
While I admit that there may in theory be circadian fluctuations in carbohydrate sensitivity, I have yet to see a single shred of evidence supporting the argument that such transitory metabolic variations have even the slightest practical impact.

Put it this way: show me studies that DO support the proposition that dietary practices based upon transient fluctuations in carbohydrate sensitivity will effect statistically significant differences in body composition.

:withstupi :withstupi

There could very well be differences, but they're negligible at best. And btw, the onus is always on the person trying to prove the absurd claim, not the one disagreeing with it.

Jabberwocky
04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Dude, where can I get a dickshunary?

_-_v_-_
04-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Vito:

I agree. Until it is proved that such practices will make an appreciable difference, I think it far better to focus instead on other, more important things: adequate energy balance; sufficient rest and recovery; etc...

blazini
04-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Would you like me to break out the Pubmed?

This evening, I will. Put it this way: show me studies that DO support the proposition that dietary practices based upon transient fluctuations in carbohydrate sensitivity will effect statistically significant differences in body composition.

Lmao, I think you are trying too hard. Just take a deep breathe! You could have saved yourself a lot of typing, rather than trying to sound intellectual.

By the way, this is my field of study. If you want to prove me wrong, than do it correctly.

I don't feel like showing you the facts, as it is 4:00 AM in the morning. If you want to quote me and utter I'm bantering and I don't know what I'm talking about, than prove it. Finish what you started.

Not true.

smalls
04-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Wait a minute, this is your field of study? And yet you can't back up your points? In what way is this your field of study, if this is truly your forte you should be able to discount this argument off the top of your head.

blazini
04-09-2005, 02:29 AM

Biotechnology.

dissipate
04-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Ryuage for mod...(seriously)
ryuage for english language teacher

_-_v_-_
04-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Blaz:

I resent the implication that my writing is affected, that I am somehow thumbing through a thesaurus as I post. I am not trying to impress; I could care less about this. Believe it or not, this is how I actually write. It's not a front; for better or worse, it's me.

As for my point: You have tendered the proposition that the timing of CHO intake can have significant effects upon body composition. As you have taken the affirmative position in this discussion, you have the burden of proof. Note that I am not disputing your expertise or impugning your intelligence; I merely have yet to encounter, in my own experience, any studies which have indicitated that such dietary practices will have any measurable impact, assuming adequate energy balance, etc... That is to say, if you take two large sample populations, one consuming carbohydrates according to your guidelines, the other consuming carbohydrates at equal intervals throughout the day, and both subjected to otherwise identical diets and training regimens, how much of a difference would you observe, and how long would it take you to observe it?

I believe the answers are: not much; and a very long time.

neartaigh
04-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Just a quick commment...

- v - : I <3 big vocabularies. I use big words all the time. Anyone who blithers accusations about sounding affected is just pissed off because they didn`t do well on the verbal section of the GRE.

blazini: "I don`t feel like it" would probably be an insufficient answer on an exam in your "field of study". Credentials and credibility are earned by proof rather than bravado.

SUBSTANCE of this thread:
I`m with Built (yet again) on this topic. I work out at night, and usually don`t get home until after 8pm. You better believe I eat after 8. And if you wanna call me fat, we`re taking this fight out to the school yard. 3pm, flag pole. Your ass is grass. ;)

_-_v_-_
04-09-2005, 08:44 AM
- v - : I <3 big vocabularies. I use big words all the time. Anyone who blithers accusations about sounding affected is just pissed off because they didn`t do well on the verbal section of the GRE.

Thanks for the support, man. I know I can tend toward superfluous verbosity (and, yes, I know that statement was self-referential in the extreme), and at times I do certainly try to restrain myself. But I'm not ashamed to write as I naturally write, and to speak as I naturally speak -- even if it doesn't exactly get me many girls :)

neartaigh
04-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the support, man. I know I can tend toward superfluous verbosity (and, yes, I know that statement was self-referential in the extreme), and at times I do certainly try to restrain myself. But I'm not ashamed to write as I naturally write, and to speak as I naturally speak -- even if it doesn't exactly get me many girls :)

FYI, I`m a girl. ;)

_-_v_-_
04-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Excuse me for a moment. I need to find a crowbar.

*attempts to pry foot from its customary lodging deep within my mouth*

Isaac Wilkins
04-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Excuse me for a moment. I need to find a crowbar.

*attempts to pry foot from its customary lodging deep within my mouth*

Hell, as often as you have to do that... We might have found the root of your overtraining.

:eek:

;)

neartaigh
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
That`s alright, -v-, being smart, verbose, and strong often gets men confused about my gender.

If it wasn`t for my great rack, I might get confused myself sometimes. :)

(way to derail this thread, huh?)

_-_v_-_
04-09-2005, 09:26 AM
That`s alright, -v-, being smart, verbose, and strong often gets men confused about my gender.

If it wasn`t for my great rack, I might get confused myself sometimes. :)

(way to derail this thread, huh?)

*stops to rubberneck at the resulting trainwreck*

(And btw: I squat. I squat a lot :) )

neartaigh
04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
I squat, btw. I squat a lot .

How YOU doin'?

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.

Hmm...slithy toves....bandersnatch....Sometimes, I have to wonder whether the man wasn`t talking about Alice`s wonderland....

*watches thread train steam full force off cliff*

Vido
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
By the way, this is my field of study. If you want to prove me wrong, than do it correctly.

I don't feel like showing you the facts, as it is 4:00 AM in the morning. If you want to quote me and utter I'm bantering and I don't know what I'm talking about, than prove it. Finish what you started.

If this is your field of study, then why do you seemingly have so little knowledge on the subject matter?

Without getting into any detail at all (because well, this ISN'T my field of study), GH levels in anyone past puberty don't really matter, as long as they are within the "normal" range. For someone lifting weights, food is going to be a much more anabolic agent than the slight increase you may get from not eating before bed.

Furthermore, the only conceivable situation in which the slight difference might be important is if you were a competitive bodybuilder; however, if this was the case, you would be taking exogenous GH anyway, thus making the argument moot once again.

Relentless
04-09-2005, 07:48 PM
This thread has entirely too much off topic BS and is veering into dogmatic name calling and other associated BS.

Keep it nice and keep it real, people. I have PMed a few of you with more specific suggestions about how you can be nicer posters on the boards and perhaps a titch more useful and less snarky.

blazini
04-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Lol, credentials and credibility, huh? Thatís always a nice manner to contradict yourself. You are supporting mere opinion, not attestation.

I gave you guys the essentials, you can take it, or you can try to be the smart-ass about it. Akin to my original message, if you need more reasoning, Google it! Instead of putting yourself at variance with me, take some responsibility and research for yourself -- instead of post whoring.

blazini
04-10-2005, 02:11 AM
If this is your field of study, then why do you seemingly have so little knowledge on the subject matter?

Without getting into any detail at all (because well, this ISN'T my field of study), GH levels in anyone past puberty don't really matter, as long as they are within the "normal" range. For someone lifting weights, food is going to be a much more anabolic agent than the slight increase you may get from not eating before bed.

Furthermore, the only conceivable situation in which the slight difference might be important is if you were a competitive bodybuilder; however, if this was the case, you would be taking exogenous GH anyway, thus making the argument moot once again.

:withstupi <--- Seriously.

_-_v_-_
04-10-2005, 06:43 AM
You can't merely defer what is your inherent burden as the affirmative position.

It is because I am interested in your point of view; it is precisely because I respect your capacity for explication and discussion; that I have asked you to support your claims with evidence, and not merely pass along this burden to others. If I did not consider your claims interesting or worthwhile, I would have never asked you to substantiate them; I would merely have ignored them. If the evidence which you claim to have exists, and is valid, then I will gladly consider it, discuss it, and, if I feel it persuasive, revise my views accordingly.

Understand that I am not intending to cast aspersions here; I believe you when you say you have researched the topic and are experienced in it. I merely would like to see the evidence you have collected.

Vido
04-10-2005, 04:13 PM
if this is truly your forte you should be able to discount this argument off the top of your head.

He seems much more content to skirt the issue. Fine by me, but clearly nothing was proved.

_-_v_-_
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
It's unfortunate. I'm always up for a stimulating discussion.

Vido
04-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Me too, and I'm always willing to learn something. My views, however, are not going to be changed by a baseless opinion.

The problem is that I'm not even sure he knows what we are debating. Everyone agrees that eating before bed does have some type of effect on GH release. We just happen to believe this effect is not significant enough to worry about. I would love to see some evidence to the contrary, but I highly doubt blazini (or anyone for that matter) could provide us with it.

shansen008
04-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Just a quick commment...

blazini: "I don`t feel like it" would probably be an insufficient answer on an exam in your "field of study". Credentials and credibility are earned by proof rather than bravado.

SUBSTANCE of this thread:
I`m with Built (yet again) on this topic. I work out at night, and usually don`t get home until after 8pm. You better believe I eat after 8. And if you wanna call me fat, we`re taking this fight out to the school yard. 3pm, flag pole. Your ass is grass. ;)

ditto

shansen008
04-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Wait sorry, i have tivo hooked into my grey matter.....did i see the word "rack" without the word "power" in front of it somewhere in here.

=)