PDA

View Full Version : should I squat?

Luigijawbreaker
04-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Will doing squats in a powerlifting way slow down my kicking ability?pleasd give me your advise

jack_of_all
04-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Will doing squats in a powerlifting way slow down my kicking ability?pleasd give me your advise

it is very unlikely to slow down your muscles by building strength, it is possible for it not to speed them up, but often times it does just that. you can also do speed work for your legs, like box squats/cleans/etc.

i would reccomend for max strength through the whole range of motion that you, and anyone, do full squats and at least some other type of assistance and some type of speed work, not that im an expert, but this should make you stronger, and probably faster.

Luigijawbreaker
04-10-2005, 03:50 AM
it is very unlikely to slow down your muscles by building strength, it is possible for it not to speed them up, but often times it does just that. you can also do speed work for your legs, like box squats/cleans/etc.

i would reccomend for max strength through the whole range of motion that you, and anyone, do full squats and at least some other type of assistance and some type of speed work, not that im an expert, but this should make you stronger, and probably faster.
Thank you jack,you are right,you know something,I know from experience that training legs in a bodybuilding style will definetly slow down my kicking ability. I'm not a professional fighter,but I have been in a few street fights. I decided a long time ago to not train my legs at all and to not squat,in fear that it might slow down my quickness in my legs. But I've noticed that deadlifts,which I train in a powerlifting way,don't slow me down at all,the same thing with the bench,if anything ,I've been told am very quick with my punches,and I have benched 455lbs raw at 185lbs. The bottom line is that if I wanna know for sure ,I'm gonna have to try it out,and I have the feeling that I'll be a very good squatter. Thank you for your advise. I have decided that I want to compete...I just don't know who to talk to,where to go...I'm clueless,I'm new to competitive powerlifting. BTW,I'm all natural,28 years old,5'7''Italian male,and I'm currently weighting 178 lbs and my strengh is a little bit down because I recently got the flu. :ninja: :micro:

body
04-10-2005, 10:05 AM
squating will not slow your legs down.

He is a some info to help you believe its not

Ben jonhston and linford christie - squated around 600-700 pounds if i read there stats correctly. I would not say either them are slow.

Lots of top UFC pride guys do squats, cleans etc.

So get squating. you sound like a powerful guy. If anything if you leg speed does not go oup. It will still be powerful so hurt the person you are kicking more.

pfc3rex
04-11-2005, 12:37 AM
:withstupi