PDA

View Full Version : Eating whole foods vs. sleeping

Canadian Crippler
04-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Right now I have 2000 cals from weight gainer in my diet of 5800 cals. I am trying to get all my other cals from whole foods like milk, nuts, wheats, oils, etc. However I have found that I am up until 2:00AM-3:00AM every night just eating and eating and eating. I'm so full that it takes me so long to get it all down.

So my question is, should I just take in more shakes and scratch out some of the whole food in order to reduce eating time and probably get 1-2+ hours more sleep? I would still be getting the same amount of cals and my macros would be the same... just more shakes and less whole foods.

Ironman15
04-11-2005, 12:39 AM
If I were you I would go with more shakes. Sleep is extremely important, atleast it is to me.

pfc3rex
04-11-2005, 01:20 AM
i like sleep, it is important.

IZich
04-11-2005, 01:33 AM
agreed. btw, a diet of 5800 is pretty hefty. what are your stats and goals? (not to give you more advice, but mere curiosity.)

smalls
04-11-2005, 01:41 AM
1-2 hours of sleep is way more important than whole food provided the macros etc are the same. I am also getting in 5800 cals and some days 5800 cals of them are in shake form, I'm making more progress then ever before. Liquid is the shiznizle.

wrestlemaniac
04-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Have you considered eating a little dirtier? I'd imagine at nearly 6000 cals you would HAVE to a little...

Vido
04-11-2005, 02:43 AM
As long as you're still getting the calories, sleep is much more important.

gino
04-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Figure out how to get the 3800 calories from whole foods, AND keep your sleep the same. It's not that hard. Adding a couple tablespoons of olive oil here and there and peanut butter will quickly pack the calories in your diet. I don't think you should rule anything out right now - eat more, eat smarter, and you won't need to sacrifice anything.

Holto
04-11-2005, 08:57 AM
eat smarter

:)

Canadian Crippler
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
agreed. btw, a diet of 5800 is pretty hefty. what are your stats and goals? (not to give you more advice, but mere curiosity.)
16 years old, 5'9" @ 180lbs

Looking to get up to 195 and I'll see how I look at that point.

Figure out how to get the 3800 calories from whole foods, AND keep your sleep the same. It's not that hard. Adding a couple tablespoons of olive oil here and there and peanut butter will quickly pack the calories in your diet. I don't think you should rule anything out right now - eat more, eat smarter, and you won't need to sacrifice anything.Well, on weekends I'm usually out wrestling for about 4 hours, where eating anything calorie dense an hour and a half before that will make me bloat for training. Then getting back from the subway is about one more hour and a half. So every weekend I have 6-7 hours where the only thing I eat or drink is gatorade and there's nothing I can really do about that (with the exception of sometimes picking up a protein bar in the subway). On weekdays I'm usually fine, at one point I was getting all 5800 from whole foods, no shakes. I was really just referring to weekends here where I come home at 7:00 PM needing 4000 more calories in 6 hours.

Canadian Crippler
04-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Have you considered eating a little dirtier? I'd imagine at nearly 6000 cals you would HAVE to a little...Sometimes I will take in half or a whole pizza in order to get some cals down.

gino
04-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Well, on weekends I'm usually out wrestling for about 4 hours, where eating anything calorie dense an hour and a half before that will make me bloat for training. Then getting back from the subway is about one more hour and a half. So every weekend I have 6-7 hours where the only thing I eat or drink is gatorade and there's nothing I can really do about that (with the exception of sometimes picking up a protein bar in the subway). On weekdays I'm usually fine, at one point I was getting all 5800 from whole foods, no shakes. I was really just referring to weekends here where I come home at 7:00 PM needing 4000 more calories in 6 hours.

First off, if this is only an issue 2 days a week...it's not an issue at all.

Regardless though there's still enough time on those weekend days to get in enough calories. Get up earlier and have a huge breakfast - pancakes, sausage, etc... Bring something with you on the weekend, so as soon as you're done training, you can stuff your face - no need to wait until you get home...pack a couple PBJs and a jug of apple juice or something.

Get creative, and just figure it out. Like I said though, not a big deal if it's only 1 or 2 days a week...

IZich
04-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Bring something with you on the weekend, so as soon as you're done training, you can stuff your face - no need to wait until you get home...pack a couple PBJs and a jug of apple juice or something.

great idea.

Canadian Crippler
04-12-2005, 01:39 PM
First off, if this is only an issue 2 days a week...it's not an issue at all.

Regardless though there's still enough time on those weekend days to get in enough calories. Get up earlier and have a huge breakfast - pancakes, sausage, etc... Bring something with you on the weekend, so as soon as you're done training, you can stuff your face - no need to wait until you get home...pack a couple PBJs and a jug of apple juice or something.

Get creative, and just figure it out. Like I said though, not a big deal if it's only 1 or 2 days a week...Good ideas. Thanks for the tips!

wrestlemaniac
04-15-2005, 04:49 PM
16 years old, 5'9" @ 180lbs

Looking to get up to 195 and I'll see how I look at that point.

Well, on weekends I'm usually out wrestling for about 4 hours, where eating anything calorie dense an hour and a half before that will make me bloat for training. Then getting back from the subway is about one more hour and a half. So every weekend I have 6-7 hours where the only thing I eat or drink is gatorade and there's nothing I can really do about that (with the exception of sometimes picking up a protein bar in the subway). On weekdays I'm usually fine, at one point I was getting all 5800 from whole foods, no shakes. I was really just referring to weekends here where I come home at 7:00 PM needing 4000 more calories in 6 hours.

wow, couldn't you have a shake during your training? 4 hours of straight cardio without food. I'd pack something to eat at some point, theres gotta be something that wouldn't make you bloated.