PDA

View Full Version : Need pointers

WBBIRL
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Heres the deal....

Im 18 years old and i weigh 300lbs which is entirely to much. Through some trips to the doctors office and some online findings ive found my lean body mass at this point to be around 240lbs (something id like to get down to). I dont want to lose weight to fast as i dont want my skin to hang or sag any... i already have stretch marks and dont want skin flaps hanging or anything. So ive planned to make it my goal to get to 240 lbs around the age of 19... which is 7 months from now. I figure 60lbs in 7 months is more then enough time to spread it over.

But i would like to know what kind of foods to all out avoid, and what exercises are best for burning fat. My main fat storages are my gut and a little on my arms and legs but not alot. I also seem to have big boobies and they stick out further then my gut does... some people say its because i build my chest up when i lift and that makes my normal "fat breasts" stick out further... any exercises to tighten up this area???

I plan on doing around 500 pushups and 500 situps each week as well as starting out running 3 miles a week and then working up to 1000 pushups and 1000 situps and 5 miles each week.

ElPietro
04-11-2005, 02:44 PM
What is the purpose of all the situps and pushups? Unless your goal is to be able to do 1,000 pushups and situps, there are probably 1,000 better ways to tackle your problem.

Best thing you can do diet-wise, is start cutting out as much simple sugars (carbs) as you can. So sugar added to food/drink, pop, those fruit drinks, candy, etc.

WBBIRL
04-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Well they are just two exercises that im already pretty decent at and i figure they burn a good deal of calories.... plus itll burn away my gut and the pushups cant hurt.

Sidior
04-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Well they are just two exercises that im already pretty decent at and i figure they burn a good deal of calories.... plus itll burn away my gut and the pushups cant hurt.

there are better ways to burn extra calories, plus you cant spot reduce fat...so doing 10 zillion situps wont make yoru gut dissapear if your bf% is still really high. Go with lots of carido and make sure to monitor diet closely.

Chizniz16
04-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Keep track of your diet and food you eat on www.Fitday.com
foods to avoid... any fast food, make your own so you know exactly what it contains, trust me its worth knowing.

Collegekid
04-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Doing sit-ups simply builds the muslce in your abs, but it doesn't specifically remove the fat that you have there.

As someone above mentioned, you can't pick parts on your body that you want to remove fat from and target them with crunches, etc, you have to lose the fat in general.

Pushups and situps aren't very effective calorie-burners compared to cardio/aeroboic exercise.

At your size you should probably get some professional advice on how to lose weight, but some generally good advice would be to clean up your diet by eating less high-GI carbs, less saturated fat and then simply do some aerobic exercise. Go for brisk walks, and then gradually run part of the way and walk the rest, then run a little farther and walk a little less, then eventually run the whole way.

It basically comes down to calories-in vs. calories-out. Eat less and burn more calories and you'll lose weight.

WBBIRL
04-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Well at my weight i was in very good shape.... during football camp we would run 1 mile before pratice 1 mile in the middle and 1 mile at the end... and we had 3 practices a day.
Durning the middle one we didnt run extra though. I can still probably run a mile fairly easily but it would take like 10 min or so which i think is bad.

Ill start running and bikeing at the gym a little and see how that goes... oh and a question

The treadmill at the gym says that you have to run like 2-3 min at 4.5 mph to burn just 10 calories.... how can that be???

Will.S
04-12-2005, 03:17 PM
My man, I would advise you follow a basic cutting cycle (there have been loads of post on this topic, but here's my take on it)

Do cardio before breakfast. Get up at half 5, and do a run or something, twice a week.

Train - Do it 3 times a week, at least. Concentrate on training properly. The more muscle you build, the higher your metabolic rate, and consequently the more fat you will burn. Get a training plan, and, most crucially, don't neglect the big three - squats, deadlifts and benchpress.

Eat - If you do not eat properly, you will not loose the fat. Eating clean is perhaps the most important thing you can do. Create a calorie plan, using fitday.com and stick to it. 2500 cals per day spread over six meals will get your metabolic rate up, and get burning that fat. Try and lower your carbohydrate intake

Finally, I burn 75 cals on my treadmill in 5 min, doing 11kph with a 6% incline, so 4.5 mph on flat.. 10 cals sounds a little low, but not too far off.