PDA

View Full Version : How safe is splenda

vvv
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
http://www.google.ca/search?q=splenda+harmful&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

:confused:

Built
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
It's safe.

vvv
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
any long/short term side effects?

Built
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
For me? Not yet.

Fat loss, maybe?

vvv
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
well then thx
:D

Geeper
04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
WOW, I never read any of that stuff before...... now I'm scared!

Geeper
04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Holy crap, I'm reading more and more and consuming chlorine ect. worries me.

More reading to do... but it's definetly something I'm going to start thinking about (and researching) .... thanks for bringing this up!

WOW, reading the FDA aproval of it, I'm eating WAY more than the recommened daily maximums............. WOW, a certain small percent acutally never leaves the body in the FDA approval paper...........

WOW, I NEVER would have guessed..... have to go think..... my head hurts

Asylum
04-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Reading about all those problems that could happen has cause me to have some bowel distress. Gotta run change my drawers.....

manowar669
04-11-2005, 04:11 PM
How safe is refined sugar?

ReelBigFish
04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't see what the big thing with Chlorine is. You eat salt don't you? salt is act. called Sodium Chloride.

_-_v_-_
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Guess what?

Splenda, aspartame, and saccharine are among the most extensively studied compounds on the planet. Not once have they been demonstrated to be of even the slightest danger.

Hint: if something reeks of fearmongering, ignore it. Case in point: www.aspartamekills.com

You'd be far better off worrying about PCBs, mercury, and the like.

spencerjrus
04-11-2005, 04:49 PM
aspartame, Not once have they been demonstrated to be of even the slightest danger.

Ya thats simply not true, try again please.

_-_v_-_
04-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Show me one study that demonstrates the purported deleterious effects of aspartame in a normal (read: non-phenylketonuric) population.

I submit that one likely will not find such a study; and, if perchance one does, for every such study one will also find hundred studies demonstrating precisely the opposite. The preponderance of evidence suggests that aspartame is eminently safe.

waynis
04-11-2005, 08:48 PM
It's safe.

I wouldn't go that far except say that it's FDA approved but many FDA approved products have been taken off the market cause of bad effects.

Basically there's no evidence that it's bad or that they let us see. WE will just have to wait a couple years..

meanwhile.. use xylitol.. the stuff is natural and great! Does not affect insulin.

gino
04-12-2005, 06:53 AM
It's safe.

Why? Because I said so.

pusher
04-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Stevia!!!!

malkore
04-12-2005, 10:57 AM
considering I only use a sweetner in my morning coffer, I think I'll use sugar, and count the carbs, and not worry about giving myself cancer or intestinal problems.

Vapour Trails
04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Some people just like to spread fear.

The FDA doesn't want people dying, that means fewer tax payers.

Built
04-12-2005, 11:23 AM
And that's why cigarettes are still legal?

waynis
04-12-2005, 11:34 AM
The FDA doesn't want people dying, that means fewer tax payers.

your right.. they just wanna make us sick enough so that we still are alive so we go to the doctor all the time :)

IZich
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't see what the big thing with Chlorine is. You eat salt don't you? salt is act. called Sodium Chloride.
so did you not take chem in high school or.. what..?
I mean just because chlorine is in salt, doesnt mean that its not toxic by itself. Thats like saying there's no reason why drugs have the molecular formula specifically tailored to be safe and beneficial to one's body; if not, then just through a whole bunch of carbons and unbonded hydrogens into a pill and see what it does! not.
why dont you go chug a gallon of chlorine and see what it does to you? i mean, even in incredibly diluted amounts (like the amt they put to clean swimming pools), if you try sticking your arm into one of those buckets, it'll rip off all of your hair as well as give you a tanline like no other (trust me, i've done this before on a dare). Try drinking the same stuff, except more concentrated.
of COURSE its dangerous to consume chlorine.

Sorry to get up all on your case, but i'm a chemical engineering major and am a stickler on this kind of thing.

vvv
04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Sorry to get up all on your case, but i'm a chemical engineering major and am a stickler on this kind of thing.

wow at 18 already an chemical engg? how'd u pull that off?...must be smart!

Isaac Wilkins
04-12-2005, 12:45 PM
wow at 18 already an chemical engg? how'd u pull that off?...must be smart!

Chemical engineering MAJOR. He could be an 18 year-old freshman or sophomore, which is normal.

ElPietro
04-12-2005, 12:50 PM
The sugar industry is huge. I wonder how many millions of dollars they spend trying to discredit sugar substitutes?

IZich
04-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Chemical engineering MAJOR. He could be an 18 year-old freshman or sophomore, which is normal.
yep :)
not to say its an easy field to get into, though.

ReelBigFish
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
so did you not take chem in high school or.. what..?
I mean just because chlorine is in salt, doesnt mean that its not toxic by itself. Thats like saying there's no reason why drugs have the molecular formula specifically tailored to be safe and beneficial to one's body; if not, then just through a whole bunch of carbons and unbonded hydrogens into a pill and see what it does! not.
why dont you go chug a gallon of chlorine and see what it does to you? i mean, even in incredibly diluted amounts (like the amt they put to clean swimming pools), if you try sticking your arm into one of those buckets, it'll rip off all of your hair as well as give you a tanline like no other (trust me, i've done this before on a dare). Try drinking the same stuff, except more concentrated.
of COURSE its dangerous to consume chlorine.

no thats cool bro. actually probably true, i didn't think to as how much really may be in there. I've worked around a lot of pools and know that chlorine is some nasty stuff. and no i never took chem. I'm act. a Senior in H.S. but all i took was BIO and A&P. I dont like any science but Astronomy. :)

galileo
04-13-2005, 09:51 AM
yep :)
not to say its an easy field to get into, though.

Pretty simple major to sign up for, however.

vvv
04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63176

IceRgrrl
04-15-2005, 07:29 AM
If you're drinking from a public water supply, you're probably getting a lot more daily chlorine from treated water than from the couple of teaspoons of Splenda that you may consume.

On the one hand, yes, the sugar industry is taking a hit from the low carb diets and sugar substitutes and they are fighting to keep their profits. Instilling fear---founded, unfounded, or exaggerated--in people is a great motivator (just ask the politicians of any stripe). On the other, neither the sugar nor the substitute manufacturers care all that much about your well-being, only your wallet.

So it's not a bad idea to think about what your consuming and do some research on your own, but it's usually more useful to look at more objective info from sources that have no financial stake in the recommendation.

I like Splenda...it tastes better than the other sweeteners and since it's really just an altered form of a naturally occuring sweetener, it's probably less harmful.

IZich
04-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Pretty simple major to sign up for, however.
UCLA engineering? you sure its easy to get into that? i had to work pretty damn hard in high school get where i am.. and believe me, its no walk in the park getting into the 3rd public engineering program in the nation.