PDA

View Full Version : ckd for my mom's bf

Jane
12-01-2001, 10:47 PM
My mom's "meat and potatoes" boyfriend wants to try "the high protein thing" he heard about and his son used with really decent results. I'm suggesting he look into ckd if he is going to go that route. He is a big guy--a lot of muscle, but too much fat too. He is going to go to the gym three times a week and swim while I lift. I'm trying to get him to get into lifting but he says he "doesnt need anymore muscle." oyoyoy.

Basically, I'm printing cack's article on ckd--the science and the application. Do you guys think this is a good thing for him to try? How should he figure out how many calories to consume? Is cardio three times a week enough, or could he get away with lifting those three times instead?

PowerManDL
12-01-2001, 10:53 PM
Jane, I'd also check out http://www.solid.net/lowcarb/lylemcd and read everything Lyle McDonald has written.

That's where Cack-ass originally got all his info on it.

As for the diet in general, I'm no fan of ketogenic diets in any form, except in rare cases for short-term dieting.

Anyone who says "they don't need more muscle" while wanting to lose weight doesn't know what he/she is talking about. For calculating calorie intake, check out http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_146mass.html for a neat way of calculating energy expenditure.

Three times a week for cardio is more than enough if lifting. If not lifting, I don't see the point. He'll lose some fat, but a helluva lot more muscle in the process.

Jane
12-01-2001, 11:08 PM
thanks for the info :thumbup:

all good stuff

now the thing is, I know he won't go to that gym more than 3 times a week. So should it be 3 times of lifting and no cardio then?

PowerManDL
12-01-2001, 11:11 PM
Combine both. But it needs to be emphasized that, for fat loss, the lifting is more important for now.

Cardio can and should be introduced later, but lifting should take precedence.

Yes, it is possible to lose fat by diet alone. But I think for the average person, indeed the non-bodybuilding athlete as well, a base of cardiovascular fitness is important.

beercan
12-02-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
That's where Cack-ass originally got all his info on it.

Yea, Lyle is awesome....

Beefy Boy
12-02-2001, 04:01 PM
A ''CKD'' is not the only answer.A diet that is clean and healthy,weight training and cardio will bring results over time as well.

the doc
12-02-2001, 07:39 PM
:nod: