PDA

View Full Version : Why do I get the shakes while on a reduced calorie diet?

Behemoth
04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
It seems everytime I do a cut I have days thats I just get so shakey and ackward and cant even think straight that my diet will fail.

For instance. I eat breakfast at 7:30. Breakfast consisted of 2 cups wheaties, 1 cup milk, 1.5 scoops whey and 2 large glasses of water. I know that's not the most ideal breakfast in the world but I'm not sure that's the problem. By 9:30 I started to feel rickedy and by 10:00 I just felt weak and disoriented with the shakes in my hands.

I know that breakfast lacked any quality fats but I wouldn't really suggest that as the culprit because this will happen even with a better rounded breakfast. Is this a bloodsugar issue? And does anybody else experience anything like while dieting?

YungLifter
04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
well im not dieting but all i eat for breakfast is serving of Total Protein cereal(1.1oz) and cup of skim milk and that doesnt happen to me

ozzyman
04-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I would suggest eating again before ten..... I know i might be borderline diabetic as sometimes my blood sugar can fluctuate a bit.... when on a low calorie diet i make sure to keep food intake steady and predictable....

Isaac Wilkins
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
One of the potential side effects of low blood sugar is shaking.

As the others have said, space your meals out evenly and this will be less of an issue. Of course, if your caloric intake is low enough, it can happen regardless.

Built
04-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I'd have the shakes pretty bad if I ate this for breakfast, too.

My cutting breakfast is protein and fat. Any carbs in the AM and I'm chewing my arm off by 10 AM.

Not sure quite why, but I am insulin resistant, so I'm sure it's part of it.

I eat my starchy carb meals near my lifting. Just makes me too hungry otherwise.

Behemoth
04-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I'd have the shakes pretty bad if I ate this for breakfast, too.

My cutting breakfast is protein and fat. Any carbs in the AM and I'm chewing my arm off by 10 AM.

Not sure quite why, but I am insulin resistant, so I'm sure it's part of it.

I eat my starchy carb meals near my lifting. Just makes me too hungry otherwise.

I'll try moving things around to something more like this. Thanks for the imput.

Maki Riddington
04-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm in the same boat as you except it occurs during a workout. I know it's due to low blood sugar levels.

Built
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm finding it quite comfortable.

I usually eat 5-6 hard boiled egg whites (I keep one yolk) with a pat of butter for M1 (of 6).

These are a couple of typical days, if it helps at all:

Basically, it's structured around the protein - 1.2-1.6g per pound, roughly, fats for satiety and as a caloric ballast, carbs added in around lifting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baseline supps:

Calcium citrate: 750 mg daily
Glucosamine, 1000mg daily
MSM, 1000 mg daily
Fish oil 10g daily
Selenium 200 micrograms daily
Cod liver oil
Vitamin D3 1000 IU daily
vit E 400 IU
Multi B-50
Gram vit C
Caffeine tablets as required, and before all workouts

Maint cals for me: 2300 daily

Trying to maintain 10-15% calorie reduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(4 days a week, lifting days)

Sample lifting menu:

M1: 5 hard boiled egg whites with one yolk, tiny pat of butter, salt
M2: cup cottage cheese, half an apple, level tablespoon natty PB
M3: romaine, homemade dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices), half avocado, 4 oz chicken breast
M4: 4oz chicken breast, broccoli, small pat of butter.

Afternoon snack: protein waffle (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1019564&postcount=4), possibly some fruit or jam depending on my remaining calories available.

1-2 hours later: train (no cardio)

M5: whey shake, one scoop (24g protein) no dextrose, just creatine
followed by protein waffle (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1019564&postcount=4), might have dab of jam if I have the calories to spare

M6: steak, broccoli, multigrain pasta, tiny pat of butter

source grams cals %total
Total: 2034
Fat: 74 663 33%
Sat: 19 167 8%
Poly: 9 85 4%
Mono: 30 266 13%
Carbs: 141 500 25%
Fiber: 16 0 0%
Protein: 212 850 42%

(2-3 days a week: AM empty cardio: 20 mins fast walking outside)

Sample non-lifting menu:

M1: 5 hard boiled egg whites with one yolk, tiny pat of butter, salt
M2: cup cottage cheese, quarter of an apple, level tablespoon natty PB, 2 walnuts
M3: romaine, homemade dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices), half avocado, 4 oz chicken breast
M4: 4oz chicken breast, other half avocado, broccoli, small pat of butter.
M5: steak, broccoli, pat of butter
M6: cup cottage cheese, quarter of an apple, level tablespoon natty PB, 2 walnuts

Total: 1756
Fat: 96 865 50%
Sat: 23 206 12%
Poly: 20 180 10%
Mono: 38 339 20%
Carbs: 53 163 9%
Fiber: 12 0 0%
Protein: 177 708 41%

Sin
04-11-2005, 07:47 PM
I like the Protein Waffle Recipe, Buit, but i'm shocked at how u managed to total at only 1756 cals on ur non-lifting menu eating all that stuff (5 eggs, steak!!?). I'm just eating lots of fruits and like a can of tuna and i dont konw why but my cals just amazingly add up.

What happens when i reduce the amount of FAT i intake by too much?

shansen008
04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Basically, it's structured around the protein - 1.2-1.6g per pound, roughly, fats for satiety and as a caloric ballast, carbs added in around lifting.

Thats what im planning to do now, time to cut and get rid of the belly. This method also works extremely well for me.l Im not insulin resistant at all though, dont know what that has to do with it. I get the shakes if i dont eat enough....period. I need about 3900 calories to maintain weight, so sometimes im a little too overzealous when it comes to cuting calories.....ill get headaches about midday...BAD, and start shaking like a leaf. Eating sugar at that point makes me dizzy unless i eat it with a protein or fat.

Built
04-14-2005, 12:51 AM
I like the Protein Waffle Recipe, Buit, but i'm shocked at how u managed to total at only 1756 cals on ur non-lifting menu eating all that stuff (5 eggs, steak!!?). I'm just eating lots of fruits and like a can of tuna and i dont konw why but my cals just amazingly add up.

What happens when i reduce the amount of FAT i intake by too much?

As I understand it, with the carbs low, if the fats go to low you put your body into a protein oxidative state.

And remember, I eat only one yolk with those five eggs.

:)

dissipate
04-14-2005, 10:02 AM

hmm this is interesting.. i should try not eating carbs in the morning too and see if i get less hungry. my breakfast is usually 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup lowfat milk, ~70g chicken breast, 1 cup tea