PDA

View Full Version : Question About Dextrose.

Snoopy17
04-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I've searched it, but im still not to clear on a few things. Isn't it just sugar? What exactly does it do? And do you just put sugar in your Protien Shake? If not where do you get it and how do you use it.

Optimum08
04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
yes it is sugar...glucose to be exact...
it preferentially replenishes muscle glycogen, unlike sucrose which preferentially refills liver glycogen...
see above^ table sugar does not have the same benefits as dextrose...
u can get it online and u put a certain amount, depending on how many carbs u want, in your PWO shake...

Built
04-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Optimum's ALMOST right.

Half right, really.

Sucrose is basically a fructose bonded to a dextrose molecule.

Fructose is taken up preferentially by the liver. Dextrose is taken up preferentially by the muscles.

But yes, dextrose is the one you want. :)

I get mine at Superstore, in the winemaking supplies.

If you don't like super-sweet things, try maltodextrin, or half malto, half dextrose.
(Malto's just two dextrose molecules, and they split in the body very easily to form dextrose).

pfc3rex
04-13-2005, 01:52 AM
i'll definitely need some then, my cals aren't where they should be.

IZich
04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Optimum's ALMOST right.

Half right, really.

Sucrose is basically a fructose bonded to a dextrose molecule.

Fructose is taken up preferentially by the liver. Dextrose is taken up preferentially by the muscles.

But yes, dextrose is the one you want. :)

I get mine at Superstore, in the winemaking supplies.

If you don't like super-sweet things, try maltodextrin, or half malto, half dextrose.
(Malto's just two dextrose molecules, and they split in the body very easily to form dextrose).
Built, what degrees do you have? Just curious. Or do you just read a lot of science/nutritional articles and journals?

ryuage
04-13-2005, 05:15 PM
doesnt take a genious to know that.

Built
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
doesnt take a genious to know that.

Doesn't take one to spell "genius" either (thank you, Spell-Check!)

My degrees are in Mathematics (Statistics, BSc), and Operations Research (MScB).

This stuff’s my hobby, but I’d actually like to go back to school to learn more.

Optimum08
04-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Built...i hate u for correcting me...cuz i am almighty...haha totally joking...so fructose is what i was thinking of when i said sucrose....thank you for the enlightenment :thumbup:

Built
04-13-2005, 06:41 PM
You knew what you meant. I did, too.

:)

crazedwombat
04-14-2005, 06:24 AM
sometimes it takes a true ninja to admit you were wrong...

well now I know i need me some dex

Vapour Trails
04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
If I read, "Fructose is taken up preferentially by the liver" one more time I'm gonna puke.

That one line must have been repeated about 10,000 times in the last month. I don't think there is one person on earth who doesn't know that already.

Knowledge is one thing, blindly repeated what someone wrote somewhere else isn't.

Built
04-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Well, take Gravol or something 'cause I doubt it's the last time you'll have seen it.

Actually, I thought it made a refreshing change from creatine questions...

;)

ryuage
04-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Doesn't take one to spell "genius" either (thank you, Spell-Check!)

My degrees are in Mathematics (Statistics, BSc), and Operations Research (MScB).

This stuff’s my hobby, but I’d actually like to go back to school to learn more.

guess you didnt get it. thank you come again.

Built
04-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Honey, I'm so dyslexic, I'm amazed I even NOTICED.

;)

danlifter
05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
It is better then sugar, think of it as a bodybuilding sugar. Its digested so fast in the blood stream that i raises your insulin to uptake nutrients. Take it in your PW shake.