PDA

View Full Version : something i've never felt before...

corraomonster
04-13-2005, 08:50 PM
yesterday i went through the most intense bench workout i ever had...

Normally i warm up 135x 7 and then go to 175 and struggle to get it 4 times and then go down

But yesterday i was pumped and real into it and i did 135x7 as a warm up

Then i did

145x8
155x8
165x5
175x4
165x5

and then went back to 135, which i tried for 10, but i was beat, so on my 9th and 10th, my shoulder seems to dislocate.. its never happened before... but i was ZAPPED of energy and completely beat.. are these my rotary cuffs? or what.

Gutz981
04-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Hmmmm a shoulder problem again...did it hurt? or did you hear or feel a pop or loud crack? If you didnt then i wouldnt worry about it...but if you did or this problem persists I would see a doc.

shansen008
04-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Thats 6 sets of bench at fairly heavy weight relative to what your 1rm probably is. I know that when i fatigue out my shoulder, the joint becomes a little less stable. I always attributed it to the muscles and connective tissues getting stretched out from the lifting, combined with the muscle getting weaker set after set. I notice it when i get to my final chest exercise...dips. You didnt dislocate your shoulder, you would know if you did that without a doubt. What you are feeling is it "giving" a bit fromt he stress. Either drop the weight down, or do less sets. I would do less sets. If you say you can get 175 for 4, then drop it down to 160 and get your 6-8 for a couple sets. As far as your warmup goes, drop it down to 115 or 95. All its for is to get the muscles engorged with blood. 135 for 7 seems more like a working set for you than a warmup set.

I usually push between 10-15 reps on a warmup set then take a good 3-4 minutes before i start my working sets. This is a matter of personal preference, but if youre only gettin 7 reps out of your warmup, then youre using too much weight IMO.

corraomonster
04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
no i do 7 reps on purpose on warmup.. i could do 15.. but i probably should go lighter.. and it doens't hurt

Sensei
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
no i do 7 reps on purpose on warmup.. i could do 15.. but i probably should go lighter.. and it doens't hurt

If you can do 15 w. 135, you should be able to comfortably handle more reps w. 175. You are really doing a lot of pyramiding up - you might consider doing less reps in your warm-up. Just a thought.

btw, do you eat breakfast? Most teens I know that have trouble gaining muscle do not eat near enough often enough to support recovery and growth. Make sure that you are eating a big breakfast w. protein in it.

PowerManDL
04-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Why are you doing that many sets and reps? If you're wanting to get bigger or stronger that's not gonna do it.

Sidior
04-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Why are you doing that many sets and reps? If you're wanting to get bigger or stronger that's not gonna do it.

he can still get stronger and bigger doing that many sets/reps as long as he gives himself enough time to heal

KingJustin
04-15-2005, 05:20 PM
he can still get stronger and bigger doing that many sets/reps as long as he gives himself enough time to heal

I'm not speaking for him, but I believe Powerman means that it won't be optimal for size or strength. I would agree.

PowerManDL
04-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah, pretty much.

Whether it works or not is irrelevant. Anything you do in the gym "works".

corraomonster
04-15-2005, 09:35 PM

have you tried doing what i've done? there aren't many freshman who bench 70 pounds OVER their weight. im doing what works for me

Sensei
04-15-2005, 10:53 PM
have you tried doing what i've done? there aren't many freshman who bench 70 pounds OVER their weight. im doing what works for me

I thought you wanted advice w. this thread, but nevermind you are right. What you are doing is perfect. You are tremendously strong. I don't know anyone as strong as you.... :clap: :bang:

corraomonster
04-15-2005, 11:19 PM
I thought you wanted advice w. this thread, but nevermind you are right. What you are doing is perfect. You are tremendously strong. I don't know anyone as strong as you.... :clap: :bang:

.... i never said that. i said that what i do works for me.

Sensei
04-15-2005, 11:24 PM
i was beat, so on my 9th and 10th, my shoulder seems to dislocate.. its never happened before... but i was ZAPPED of energy and completely beat.. are these my rotary cuffs? or what.

I guess I just thought you wanted some advice here... my bad.