PDA

View Full Version : Im soooo confused

blinktx
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Ive been researching alot about what to eat before and after my workout b/c Im trying to get my diet in order and I want to get the most out of my workouts. Every website, every article and the sticky on this page has given me nothing. Can anyone tell me what to eat and drink before and what to eat and drink after a workout? Right now I dont eat anything before my workout and after my workout I drink a muscle milk protein shake and my dinner which is usually high in protein, carbs(I eat alot of rice: Is that bad?) and vegetables. Someone please help!

Isaac Wilkins
04-14-2005, 04:39 PM
We have a sticky about this very thing at the top of this forum.

blinktx
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I read it and I dont understand anything anyone said.

civrob
04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Ive been researching alot about what to eat before and after my workout b/c Im trying to get my diet in order and I want to get the most out of my workouts. Every website, every article and the sticky on this page has given me nothing. Can anyone tell me what to eat and drink before and what to eat and drink after a workout? Right now I dont eat anything before my workout and after my workout I drink a muscle milk protein shake and my dinner which is usually high in protein, carbs(I eat alot of rice: Is that bad?) and vegetables. Someone please help!

Right depends what you want to do! My guess is you want to gain size and muscle.

From what I have gathered this is how I would go about it. I found it all really complicated so in my simple mind.

Try to consume protein in grams what equal to your weight in pounds. Say you weight 150lbs like me I eat roughly 150grams of protein. I get this mainly from protein shakes but also from diet.

However protein in not the only factor you need to considure its total amount of calories you need to eat enough calories to put on weight. If you are training hard and you suplus on calories this should turn into muscle. To promote this you eat six times a day try to even calories out. Main point I want to make about the need to eat more is that your body is doing something new i.e. lifting weights so it needs the extra energy... So you are unlikely to gain muscle at you old food maintenence level you need more.

It is recomended to do calorie counts but I dont like doing this I just try and eat alot more than what I used to. I will worry about calorie counting when I decide to cut (i.e. gained enough size and want to reduce body fat%) To find where you will get all your calories from try the sticky what a body builder eats. I cannot say how many calories you will need to consume because I cant even work out my own. If you dont eat enough your gains will be limited. As to the question as whether to have protein shake before or after gym there is a debate about that but I personality have it after the gym as motablism will be higher. I leave 1 1/2 hours eating before the gym. I think that way im less bloated when at the gym.
The food I ate 1 hour ago will have been converted to energy I might be wrong on that coz different foods digest at different speeds but I deffinatly feel less bloated.

That is just my opinion it could be totally wrong as it depends what you want to do.... If you want to lose weight and gain muscle mass I would not do what I do But if you want to pack on size maybe I have at least pointed you in a right direction?? People on here can and probably help more just keep reading and training :-D

heathj
04-14-2005, 05:39 PM
take a small amount of protein/carb before workout 20g/40g...then a larger amount afterwards 40g p/70g carb...preferrably a high gi carb (dextrose, maltodextrin).

Personally during my routine right now I don't take anything on 2 out of 4 days before my workout and have plenty of energy.

blinktx
04-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I ate some rice and eggs before my workout yesterday and I had one of the best workouts ever.

Built
04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Excellent.