PDA

View Full Version : carb question

bigmalone
04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
hello fellow lifters,

i have been reading through this forum learning lots on nutrition. however i still have some questions.

first of all, how do we know what has good carbs and not so good carbs. i know glucose is good for ya is canned corn full of this or not?
also how can we find out if what we are eating has good carbs or not. i use oatmeal around workout time, but was thinking corn wouldnt be bad for the rest of the day with my tuna.

thanks for all replysss

EJFan
04-14-2005, 09:52 PM
good carbs are carbs that aren't processed... they digest slower and don't cause an insulin spike. read the ingredients list on what you're buying... even many "wheat breads" have processed flour in 'em... you want anything that has only whole wheat flour in the ingredients. best rule of thumb is don't eat anything white (rice, potatoes, bread, etc.).

ReelBigFish
04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Good carbs are ones that come in their natural state or close to it. Rice, oats, potatoes, beans. I would not choose corn over oats or really choose it at all since it contains very little fiber or protein compared to oats or even beans. Beans are a great carb source and i would take those over corn anyday.

Built
04-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Glucose/dextrose is good for you immediately post workout BECAUSE it stimulates an insulin spike, which will basically shuttle everything you've eaten with it (whey, creatine, dextrose...) into your cells and stimulate an anabolic response.

That's the only time you want this strong insulin response, though. At all other times, you want a slow release, hence the slower carb choices BB tend to make (oats, brown rice, yams...).

Make sense?

AzBboy
04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Try a search on google regarding the Glycemic Index (GI) it will tell you all the carb sources that are good and the carb sources that are bad. Ideally, the Glycemic Index is a index which rates the speeds at which carbs are digested. This is super important because if you eat carbs that digest slowly (low GI) you get a steady stream of sugars and your bloodsugar levels stay at safe levels, and you stay feeling full for longer periods of time. However, eating foods high in the GI, cause you to have high bloodsugar levels, which will allow you to store fat easier, and will cause you to actually be hungrier.

bigmalone
04-15-2005, 03:41 PM
thank you

bigmalone
04-15-2005, 04:41 PM
so what im understanding is that oatmeal is not really a good pre or post workout carb source, but corn flakes (wich has a high gi rate) would be a good pre, post workout carb. i cant beleive i didnt know about this stuff before....

i think ill start eating a couple slices of white bread and cornflakes as a pre post workout carb from here on out.

Jabberwocky
04-15-2005, 05:05 PM
If you really want corn I'd do frozen over canned.

Built
04-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Oatmeal isn't bad, actually. You just might do better getting in you at least an hour before you train.