PDA

View Full Version : Summer lifting with a friend

Hazerboy
04-17-2005, 04:14 PM
so I plan on doing a lot of lifting over the summer for strength and power, and I'm looking for a partner. One of my friends from school says he'll lift for with me, but he's worried that it will affect his performance in soccor (long distance running). I was thinking that as long as we're lifting for strength it wouldn't hurt his endurance running, though it would probably help with sprints and any other explosive movements. Am I right?

BigDanStud
04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I think you are right. I am 6'4, and when I was 180 and didnt lift I could only touch and grab the rim. Now I am 250 and I can dunk like no other. I am also alot faster at sprints, and I ran a mile a couple a months ago, only after training real lightly a couple weeks before, and I ran a 5:45. So weight training will only help his performance in my opinion. Oh yea, its taken me three years to get this big so he has nothing to worry about when it comes to putting on size.

Big Dan

spencerjrus
04-17-2005, 05:36 PM
so I plan on doing a lot of lifting over the summer for strength and power, and I'm looking for a partner. One of my friends from school says he'll lift for with me, but he's worried that it will affect his performance in soccor (long distance running). I was thinking that as long as we're lifting for strength it wouldn't hurt his endurance running, though it would probably help with sprints and any other explosive movements. Am I right?

Lifting for strength will only make him a better player. Gaining significant amounts of mass could hinder his endurance though, as being light is def an advantage in those situations.

Isaac Wilkins
04-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Indeed, lifting for strength shouldn't hurt his endurance, particularly over such a short period of time. He just needs to make sure that he at least trains his endurance for maintenence. In other words, if he just lifted and didn't run all summer, then yes, he'd lose endurance. It doesn't take all that much work to maintain condition, though.

pfc3rex
04-18-2005, 05:12 AM
Lifting for strength will only make him a better player. Gaining significant amounts of mass could hinder his endurance though, as being light is def an advantage in those situations.

:withstupi