PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Dose for Nutrient Partitioning

Vido
04-18-2005, 02:08 PM
There's been a few discussions of late relating to the efficacy of vinegar as a glucose disposal agent. However, I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever put forth any type of protocol for how to use it.

I'm assuming you only want to use it for protein + carb meals?

How many tbsp are we looking at per a certain amount of carbs?

Built
04-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi Vido -

I'm in Ottawa on this crappy internet TV thing and I don't feel like doing that much navigating, but if you go to rugged, there's an article that discusses it. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you the link when I'm back at a REAL computer.

The suggestion they use is vinegar with lemon juice, I think he said a shot glass full with carb meals.

PowerManDL
04-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I just dump about a tbsp in with the same amount of lemon juice. Doesn't have to be that specific, as far as I know.

SalahG
04-18-2005, 03:14 PM
How effective is this?

Vido
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Built - no idea what "rugged" is.

Powerman - Using vinegar and lemon juice basically serves the same purpose as using ALA, correct? And with ALA there is a specific dosing although I can't remember what it is as I haven't used the supplement in a long time.

SalahG - I don't think anyone really knows, but vinegar (and lemon juice for that matter) is cheap, so if it does anything at all it makes sense to me to do it.

Maki Riddington
04-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Vido,

www.ruggedmag.com

With ALA you need quite a bit to see the same results one would see with RLA. I've used upwards of 5 grams a day of ALA. I noticed I was a lot tighter and got better pumps. I also use lemon juice but have not noticed anything.

Vido
04-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, I found it on that site and it says 1tbsp vinegar + 1 tbsp lemon juice. I obviously don't understand the mechanism in which they work because I don't see how it isn't dependent on the size of the meal.

In any event, ruggedmag says the same thing as me: it's cheap, so do it.

As for ALA or r-ALA, I really don't think it's worth the money.

PowerManDL
04-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Something about the citric and acetic acids in the two works to upregulate insulin sensitivity. Same mechanism as what ALA (supposedly) does, IIRC. Yeah, it's gonna be dose-dependent...but, from what I'm remembering (not sure where, probably on Avant) 1 tbsp each is more than enough unless you're eating a God-awful amount of carbs in a meal.

Also, if you're using this trick....go over to Cutting Edge Muscle (Nandi's board) and read up on his posts about chronic acidosis. Needless to say you might find a large advantage to supplementing with baking soda or another acid buffer if you're going to use this on a regular basis.

Shao-LiN
04-19-2005, 07:08 AM
There's been a few discussions of late relating to the efficacy of vinegar as a glucose disposal agent. However, I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever put forth any type of protocol for how to use it.

I'm assuming you only want to use it for protein + carb meals?

How many tbsp are we looking at per a certain amount of carbs?

I believe Lyle described some pseudo protocol on how to use it during carb loads in UD2.

Manveet
04-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I believe Lyle described some pseudo protocol on how to use it during carb loads in UD2.

It was basically like a shot with every carb meal, and each carb meal containing something like 100-150g carbs

"Compounds which increase insulin sensitivity output could conceivably help as well. Recent research has implicated vinegar in helping with glycogen storage. Taking a "shot" of it with each carb meal is an extremely cheap (albeit not very tasty) approach for the natural lifter to try."

eric1214
05-20-2005, 11:06 PM
do you have to take the lemon juice with the vinegar in order for it to work?
or can i just have a salad with vinegar+olive oil before my carb meal?

thanks