PDA

View Full Version : Are You Down With GPP? By Maki Riddington - April 19th 2005

Joe Black
04-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Many weight trainers nowadays are getting so caught up with the idea of being bigger and stronger, they neglect everything else - agility, speed, aerobic endurance, flexibility and coordination. Get down with GPP and cover all bases!

You can find it here: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=205

Discuss and Enjoy

Daniel

IRN-BRU
04-19-2005, 03:31 PM
"According to Dr Vershonsky, GPP can prevent boredom..." - So a doctor says pushing cars and sledge hammer work can (which means it might or it might not) prevent boredom. Really now? What a surprise.

Can I have a refund please? :)

Nicely complicated article to sound technical and have good use of buzzwords and acronyms. You could have just said "If you're bored with cardio, try these exercises then you won't be such a sissy!". Unless there's more to it than that?

Isaac Wilkins
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes, well-applied GPP training is very different from "normal" cardio.

It improves general athleticism, does more for recovery than cardio, and usually creates a better balance in whole-body conditioning.

TheMachine
04-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Excellent article! :thumbup:
In the past several months since I started GPP with the sled, med. ball and farmers implements my squat and deadlift have really started to improve. I've gained alot of mass in my back and abs and I feel like there's more spring in my step.

Maki Riddington
04-20-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it.:)

Chrispy
04-23-2005, 01:50 PM
so i just read the article

i was wondering how many excercises you do in a circuit and what kind of excercises. i'm training for cross country.

getfit
04-23-2005, 03:15 PM
well done maki excellent article :)

Maki Riddington
04-23-2005, 03:43 PM
so i just read the article

i was wondering how many excercises you do in a circuit and what kind of excercises. i'm training for cross country.

What specifically are you trying to improve?

Chrispy
04-24-2005, 01:29 PM
my endurance throughout the race and just general strength all over. i have a nice kick at the end if i need to beat somebody, but after about the second mile i start getting passed.

cwm
04-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Would you guys sugest maybe adding a 4th day of GPP excercise for me. Since i am doing the 3day a week wbb1 split.

Canadian Crippler
04-24-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm training for hypertrophy, and I get very tired half way through my workouts. I also am trying to increase my full body endurance for wrestling. My current routine has Push on Monday, Legs on Wednesday, and Pull on Friday. How should I incorporate GPP into this?

AKraut
04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
I like the article but it doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. When is a good time to do this stuff? Off-days? As warmup?

I mean sure, obviously if you lift weights and do jumping jacks and pull sleds or play sports all day every day you will be a lot more 'physically prepared', but busy people want to know what's going to be most effective in the limited timeframe they have to train.

Maki Riddington
04-25-2005, 03:56 PM
my endurance throughout the race and just general strength all over. i have a nice kick at the end if i need to beat somebody, but after about the second mile i start getting passed.

I think that your looking at performing SPP not GPP. If it's something specific you're looking at improving then you need to look at some specific areas and design your conditioning program accordingly.

For example, my bridging is horrible on the ground when I'm sparring in Judo. So are my hips, and rotational movements. Instead of picking strength movements to bring these areas up, I'd include movements that would allow me to perform these movements more efficiently under fatigue. This means I'd pick some exercises and perform them in a circut fashion.

Maki Riddington
04-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Would you guys sugest maybe adding a 4th day of GPP excercise for me. Since i am doing the 3day a week wbb1 split.

If you feel that you need it, go for it! It sure beats getting on the bike or doing the stairclimber. I mean, what's more manly than pushing a car, dragging a sled and performing plate tosses.

Release that frusteration and anger man!:)

I generally start up my GPP in the summer months. The weather is great and I can get a great tan while conditioning myself.

getfit
04-25-2005, 04:02 PM
maki just wanted to get your attention!
what do you think of woodchopping?

Maki Riddington
04-25-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm training for hypertrophy, and I get very tired half way through my workouts. I also am trying to increase my full body endurance for wrestling. My current routine has Push on Monday, Legs on Wednesday, and Pull on Friday. How should I incorporate GPP into this?

Well, that depends on a number of things. When is your wrestling practice and which day is your hardest workout on?

Maki Riddington
04-25-2005, 04:06 PM
maki just wanted to get your attention!
what do you think of woodchopping?

Yes, that is another great movement. Just like hitting a tire with a sledge hammer, the weight of the axe can be changed to make things easier or to increase the level of difficulty.

Canadian Crippler
04-25-2005, 04:11 PM
I would say legs is the hardest workout (Wednesday). Push is also pretty intense (Monday), as is pull (Friday) but not as bad. Wrestling is on weekends.

Maki Riddington
04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
I like the article but it doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.

Tell me. What would people write about if each article covered every single aspect of a topic?:) This article was written to increase awareness about a topic that is often overlooked when it comes to the area of conditioning.

When is a good time to do this stuff?

On your off days. You're gonna be way too tired if you do it after your workout.

I mean sure, obviously if you lift weights and do jumping jacks and pull sleds or play sports all day every day you will be a lot more 'physically prepared', but busy people want to know what's going to be most effective in the limited timeframe they have to train

This is dependant on your current level of conditioning. If it sucks like mine used to, then start out by performing a circut for 10-15 minutes.

Pick some basic exercises I listed that hit your whole body. Perform each exercise for 30-60 seconds for 1-4 sets, and go from there.

Maki Riddington
04-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I would say legs is the hardest workout (Wednesday). Push is also pretty intense (Monday), as is pull (Friday) but not as bad. Wrestling is on weekends.

Are you in season? If so, I wouldn't be focusing on increasing your conditioning right now. That's better left to the off season.

getfit
04-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, that is another great movement. Just like hitting a tire with a sledge hammer, the weight of the axe can be changed to make things easier or to increase the level of difficulty.
thank you, i think mcgill university actually have a team i was thinking of trying it out this summer+ all that great fresh air and wilderness :)

heathj
04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a fun summer workout routine!

thanks!

TheMachine
04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
On your off days. You're gonna be way too tired if you do it after your workout.

The Westside boys do their GPP several hours after they do their main workout. I've been doing this on Mondays and I have found it to be very effective. By all means, do GPP on your off days if that fits into your schedule.

wrestlemaniac
04-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Good stuff, I've been doing GPP (although I didn't call it that) for a while. I'm trying to get to do it everyday in the mornings but usually end up just doing it on my days off (which is great since I work 4 days on 3 days off in a row)

Edit : One more quick thing, I've been trying to include burpees but am not sure how to do them. Can you maybe recommend a good link (or just explain them if thats easier)?

Maki Riddington
04-26-2005, 08:15 AM
The Westside boys do their GPP several hours after they do their main workout.

True, but they also are more efficient at recovering due to their supplement use. However, like you said, if you can handle it, great!

AKraut
04-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks Maki, I didn't mean to sound combatitve. I'm definitely going to start GPP, I'm always looking for excuses not to run :p

Maki Riddington
04-26-2005, 03:17 PM
No worries. I didn't take it as a negative comment. Even if it were, I'd welcome it.:)

Maki Riddington
04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Edit : One more quick thing, I've been trying to include burpees but am not sure how to do them. Can you maybe recommend a good link (or just explain them if thats easier)?

Try taking a look at this article.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=193

faus
04-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Tell me. What would people write about if each article covered every single aspect of a topic?:) This article was written to increase awareness about a topic that is often overlooked when it comes to the area of conditioning.

I had the same reaction to the article as AKraut. At the risk of sounding critical, you can't have a subsection titled "How to Do It" and not explain "how to do it" without leaving at least one person (or in this case, two people) scratching his head wondering what part of the article he missed.
Other than that, it was a good subject for an article, and in my case, rather timely since my position is very similar to what you described, and I was in the process of adjusting my routine to focus on overall physical fitness.

Anthony
04-28-2005, 12:47 PM
1. Pick a few exercises from the list. What exercises you use doesn't matter very much, although a good choice is to center your routine around sled pulling.

2. Outline a routine ... something like 3 sets of each exercise you picked. Keep it simple until you try it.

3. Do it. Pretty basic stuff.

GPP can be anything. Shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, jumping jacks, etc. Unless you're an offseason professional football player, don't worry about designing a perfect routine ... pick something and try it out. Adjust as needed.

Adam
04-28-2005, 04:24 PM
:withstupi

I was like you guys and spent many weeks before trying to design the perfect GPP routine. I ended up just getting frustrated and just going outside one day and did 20mins of GPP movements. It worked great, no science was really involved. My main goal was just to get the heart rate and breathing up, and get some fresh blood flow to the muscles I just worked earlier in the day.
My point: Take 3-4 excercises, do a couple sets of each, call it a day. Then, re-evalute if it was too much/not enough, and adjust in the future days.

APE.
04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Cool article; I'm a big believer in "Conditioning" an doing like minded things...here are a few options I use..your gonna laugh @ some; but I swear they work:

1) Playground Ladder; you know the kind you climb an swing from bar to bar crosswise...typically they are 8-12 feet wide..I go accorss swinging from bar to bar but also using the side bars varying grips (the side bars are thicker) an hanging a cpl baseballs w/ small chains chained around the bar here n' there to grasp.Best to go early while children are in school.I go for aslong as I can w/o letting my feet touch the ground. This ones also my favorite.

2) I don't know what it's called but it's a childrens toy for like $7. @ Wal-mart. Sorry I don't have a cam to take a pic to show exactly what it is; but is usually found near the jump ropes.Large ball one end an loop on the other side.You take the large loop an place it around one ankle an simotaneously jump an swing towards your other leg while skipping w/ the other.

3) "Weighted Baton Twirling" minus the tassles. Taken either a body bar; they range in weights from 5;lbs to 22lbs I belive. My niece is in baton twirling in school...one weekend while here she was practicing & I got to thinking; so for most an hour long session i twirled a 15lb bar of rebarb I had laying around. All the tosses an twirls, over an under head; passing from one hand to another..it's quite a challenge...also it's make your forearms burn like hellfire once done.

4) This is a time when you want that same playground (as mentioned in example 1) full of children; get a very long piece of rope an mark a place on the ground; an ask if any of the kids wanna play tug-o-war...if there's enough kids..it'll be quite a challenge an fun. Come on kids you say; but when you got 10/13 kids pulling on the other end...it's quite a challenge an can be quite fun.

5) Kippers (or "Pop Ups" as some call them) and Burpees mixed; back and forth; see how many you can do in a timed amount.

Hope ya'll can find these useful; an hopefully change things up as ya'll pursue conditioning.

wrestlemaniac
04-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Try taking a look at this article.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=193

Great! Awesome, thanks. And right on this website, that shows me up real good lol.

:withstupi

I was like you guys and spent many weeks before trying to design the perfect GPP routine. I ended up just getting frustrated and just going outside one day and did 20mins of GPP movements. It worked great, no science was really involved. My main goal was just to get the heart rate and breathing up, and get some fresh blood flow to the muscles I just worked earlier in the day.
My point: Take 3-4 excercises, do a couple sets of each, call it a day. Then, re-evalute if it was too much/not enough, and adjust in the future days.

Exactly, it's Gpp as in GENERAL, not SPECIFIC. You're just getting yourself in shape. People can feel free to fine tune as they go along all they like I suppose.

Edit : Ape, sounds like you just like to go to the playgrounds a play. LoL, I'm just teasing. Seriously though, is #1 the Monkey Bars? I wasn't totally sure by the way you described it.

APE.
04-29-2005, 03:49 AM
. Ape, sounds like you just like to go to the playgrounds a play. LoL, I'm just teasing. Seriously though, is #1 the Monkey Bars? I wasn't totally sure by the way you described it.

Yes really I am, I should post in the "Are you a kid @ Heart" thread in gen chat.
No what I meant was more like the pic I've attached. W/ various stuff tied onto it to use diff grips.(The pic is borrowed from blueimp.com) They got some seriuosly cool playground ladders I'd like to get my hands onto.

Hatred
05-04-2005, 08:41 PM
SO basically get up off your ass and do something strenuous on Mondays?

Throw a 45 on the lawn mower and do it as fast as you can?
tape a paintbrush onto a dumbell and paint the fence?

Maki Riddington
05-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I suppose.

vkefi
05-04-2005, 11:39 PM
45 on the lawn mower lmao.

Nice article Maki.

ThomasG
08-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Bump. I like GPP articles.