PDA

View Full Version : Getting Stronger by Kelly Baggett - April 19th 2005

Joe Black
04-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Its as the title suggests! Kelly runs through basic guidelines and provides a routine that will put you on the right path to getting stronger!!

You can find it here: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=208

Discuss and Enjoy

Daniel

fixationdarknes
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Great article. I have a question though. I really like 20-rep Squats. Do you think I could try the routine Kelly recommended for newbies but for Squats do 1 set of 20 reps instead of 2-3 sets of 2 reps? Or would that sort of defeat the purpose of this low-volume routine?

fixationdarknes
04-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Help, anyone?

Isaac Wilkins
04-30-2005, 06:24 AM
That would be exactly the opposite of what this routine called for.

2 reps != 20 reps.

fixationdarknes
05-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Alright, and btw, when the routine in that article says "Bench Press" and "Incline Press," does that mean to use a BB or DB?

Anthony
05-01-2005, 07:18 PM
I'll assume the article referred to barbell, but I don't think it will make any measureable difference.

fixationdarknes
05-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Also, the article suggested a set/rep scheme of 2-3 sets of 2 reps for all the exercises in the routine. But I got kind of confused because I've never heard of doing abs for sets of 2 reps. Would the concentric/eccentric phases have to be REALLY slow for it to work? Or am I just uneducated and have never heard of doing low-rep ab work?

CarlP
05-03-2005, 07:11 PM
You could add weight if you do some sort of weighted crunches.

fixationdarknes
05-04-2005, 04:37 PM
You could add weight if you do some sort of weighted crunches.

I know, but what I was saying was that I've never heard of doing 2-rep ab sets. It's just new to me I guess.

Maki Riddington
05-04-2005, 05:16 PM
It's a different concept that most people don't follow. That however does not mean it is not effective. It may take some time getting used to.

CarlP
05-04-2005, 07:21 PM
It may be easier mentally, thinking "I only have to do 2, only 2"

fixationdarknes
05-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys. And yes, Carl, "doing 2" is a lot easier mentally than "doing 20" or something crazy like that.

fixationdarknes
05-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't understand how the step-type loading approach mentioned in the article is effective. It says that for two consecutive workout sessions, you should increase the weight by 5 lbs., and on the third session, you should decrease the weight by 5 lbs. and the next two following sessions you should build back up again 5 lbs. at a time.

So, you'd really only be increasing 5 lbs. every 2 weeks? That seems a little slow. Or is that about right?

Hellrazor
05-07-2005, 09:05 AM
It sounds similar to HST training where you`re kind of tricking your muscles into thinking the weight you`re lifting is as heavy as the fortnight before but in actual fact it isnt. You may have lost a little strength but your muscles have stayed the same size so therefore in theory you are getting bigger all the time as you are constantly overloading ( but obviously along the lines of strength instead of hypertrophy due to the rep range ) I`ll have a read of the article anyway.

LOL at that poor explanation I really need to start reading again :)

Hellrazor
05-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Ignore me I am an idiot.

I was looking for something like this to increase strength for MMA as i train most nights either wrestling, boxing or BJJ so can really only squeeze 2 sessions in MAX !!

Looks perfect for me. I`ll give it a shot and I`ll try and keep a journal if anyones interested.

Maki Riddington
05-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Great HR.

Fixation,

Low rep training revolves around manipulating the nervous system. To do this a wave loading scheme is often used to offset any burnout that might ocurr. Progressive overloading doesn't always mean that you must move forward in ever workout. Look at it from a weekly or monthly perspective.

fixationdarknes
05-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Alright thanks.

Hellrazor
05-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks Maki, nice to see you still on here :)

I`m going to try to start this tomorrow although I`m still sore from my first back workout in like a year and a half LOL

Anyway I`m guessing DOMS will be pretty minimal or slightly less painful than say a med / high volume 10 - 12 rep range. routine.

I`ve only done low rep sets a few times in the past as always focused on size rather than strength although I remember doing a low volume routine once that kicked ass consisting of 1 set of 2 -4 reps followed by 2 sets of 8- 10 reps ( Pretty sure I got it off here too :) on all of the compound lifts and it worked a treat.

What do you think Maki ? Best way to train to minimise fiber damage / doms but maximise strength so I can still punch / kick / slam my friends without being in agony the next day ? lol

I understand the importance of rest periods but I am so weak at the minute, the only thing keeping me relatively stronger than a small kitten is the ju-jitsu / wrestling which of course is a kind of resistance training in itself, anyway I`m rambling a bit, thanks for the help buddy !

fixationdarknes
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey Hellrazor, I'd like to start this routine tomorrow too but the problem is that I still don't really know how to do Cleans or Snatches. I've asked my PE Coach for some help and he showed me how to do it, but after trying it and practicing I still couldn't do it right. I guess it takes a while to learn how to do it?

fixationdarknes
05-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay, so I'm starting this routine on Monday...

**Session A:
-Deadlift
-Bench press
-Clean or Snatch
-Ab movement
**Session B:
-Squat
-Incline Press
-Weighted Chin
-Ab movement

And all exercises will be done in 2-3 sets of 2 reps.

Alternate between session A & B.

But, if I'm doing 2-rep sets for my ab movements, would I need a really difficult exercises to do for the abs? Or would I just do crunches holding lots of weight on myself? And perhaps slow down the negative a lot to make it even harder? Btw, I don't have a decline bench so I can't do that.

Anthony
05-12-2005, 07:42 PM
If you want a difficult ab exercise, look into janda situps ...

JTyrell710
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Hellrazor- i just want to say that after watching a few UFC dvd's tonight. I think mma is the coolest thing in the world, hands-down. I'm definatley thinking about starting some type of fighting training, any suggestions? BJJ?

Vita
10-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Okay, so I'm starting this routine on Monday...

**Session A:
-Deadlift
-Bench press
-Clean or Snatch
-Ab movement
**Session B:
-Squat
-Incline Press
-Weighted Chin
-Ab movement

And all exercises will be done in 2-3 sets of 2 reps.

Alternate between session A & B.

But, if I'm doing 2-rep sets for my ab movements, would I need a really difficult exercises to do for the abs? Or would I just do crunches holding lots of weight on myself? And perhaps slow down the negative a lot to make it even harder? Btw, I don't have a decline bench so I can't do that.

have you been keeping up with it? i think i'm going to do this routine for a while to see how it pans out.

Maki Riddington
10-12-2005, 12:36 PM
What do you think Maki ? Best way to train to minimise fiber damage / doms but maximise strength so I can still punch / kick / slam my friends without being in agony the next day ? lol

The BJJ training itself will build up your anaerobic and aerobic capacity. Your gym training should revolve around low reps and high sets using varying percentages of your 1RM.

If you train in the gym 2-3 times a week a sample template would look like this:

Day 1: Whole Body (focus on the concentric portion of your lifts)
Day 2: Whole Body (slow eccentrics with 70-85% of your 1RM)
Day 3: Whole Body (isometrics, holding the movement in three positions of a lift for 4-6 seconds)

Use only compound movements.

Another example would be:

Day 1: Push Explosive
Day 2: Isometrics
Day 3: Pull Explosive

fixationdarknes
10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
have you been keeping up with it? i think i'm going to do this routine for a while to see how it pans out.

I did it for a little while, and made some gains, but after trying it, I personally don't like it that much anymore because of the really low reps. I like doing stuff more in the 4-8 rep range, except for deadlifts. I usually work with 1-5 reps with deadlifts.

Vita
10-14-2005, 09:00 AM
I did it for a little while, and made some gains, but after trying it, I personally don't like it that much anymore because of the really low reps. I like doing stuff more in the 4-8 rep range, except for deadlifts. I usually work with 1-5 reps with deadlifts.

yeah, since i posed i decided i'm going with the single factor 5x5 routine and just stick with it until i don't see gains anymore (strength and size). i'm not in it for 100% BB, more for strength which comes with size.