PDA

View Full Version : Would This Cereal Be Ok For Breakfast??

Shobe
04-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Breakfast Cereal, Whole Grain Crunch, from South Beach Diet
Start your day with the whole grain goodness of South Beach Diet Cereals. These flavorful combinations are lightly sweetened and include either sliced almonds or a touch of cinnamon.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size 30g
Servings per package 11
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2g 4%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 21g 7%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Sugars 4g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 15 % Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 4 % Iron 10 %

Ingredients:
Whole Grain Wheat, Almonds, Wheat Bran, Sugar, Soy Grits, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Corn Flour, Rice Flour, Soy Protein Isolate, Fructose, Oat Fiber, Fructose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Sucralose (Sweetener), Caramel Color, Annatto Extract (Color), Bht Added To Packaging Material To Preserve Product Freshness. Vitamin And Minerals: Niacinamide, Reduced Iron, Zinc Oxide (Source Of Zinc), Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D.

Jabberwocky
04-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Looks ok to me, do you not like oats or something?

Shobe
04-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Oh I love oats, but sometimes I just feel like eating something different for a change.

AdmiralDan
04-20-2005, 08:31 AM
if it fits into your nutrient breakdown, you can eat it. the same goes for anything else you want to eat

El Kelio
04-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Try Fiber One of General Mills. 14 grs. of Dietary Fiber with 0 sugars, 10 calories from fat on a same 30 grs. serving.

waynis
04-20-2005, 07:04 PM
splenda in cereal? Throw it out. Try kashi brand cereals.

PS.. you want a good amount of carbs, fats and fiber in the morning.

Built
04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Corn syrup and fructose? Soy?

Hmmm.... not very large quantities of 'em though.

I guess, if you love it.

I don't like carbs in the AM, myself. Makes me too freaking hungry all day.

smalls
04-20-2005, 07:36 PM
splenda in cereal? Throw it out. Try kashi brand cereals.

PS.. you want a good amount of carbs, fats and fiber in the morning.

Why is that?

waynis
04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Why is that?

too which part of my reply?

smalls
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Actually all of it. But specifically fat, fiber, carbs suggestion.

fixationdarknes
04-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I usually eat oatmeal with natty pb and bananas in it for breakfast. But when and if I don't have time to make the oatmeal for some reason I'll eat Total: Protein. I think it tastes like crap so I add bananas and it's not so bad. Also, it has 14g protein and lots of vitamins.

Built
04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
I generally try to avoid having carbs and fats both high in the same meal.

Not sure why you'd want to eat them together. :scratch:

ryuage
04-20-2005, 11:23 PM
not sure why you would try and avoid it either :scratch:

Built
04-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I am venturing out into the realm of "beyond this point there be dragons" in terms of my knowledge, but I understand that when you eat carbs, you stimulate insulin, and this insulin helps shuttle basically everything you just ate into storage, somewhere (ie muscles or fat cells).

Since fat is so calorie dense, eating it with a carb-rich meal means you'll store a LOT of those calories.

Then you're hungry again, when your blood sugar drops...

...Or at least, I'D be hungry again in about 20 minutes if I ate a carb and fat meal like oats with banana and peanut butter.

For me, it's all about the hunger control. I totally understand this is different for everybody, and not something to be particularly worried about on a bulk.

If you have research that refutes my understanding of this, please post it up. I'm going mostly by feel here.

thajeepster
04-20-2005, 11:52 PM

:withstupi

ryuage
04-21-2005, 05:09 AM
my signature would be a start

thajeepster
04-21-2005, 11:03 AM
my signature would be a start

lol

Built
04-21-2005, 11:13 AM
The link doesn't work for me.

Could you post up the summary ruage?

smalls
04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
If you have research that refutes my understanding of this, please post it up. I'm going mostly by feel here.

Even though eating carbs and fat in the same meal most likely would lead not to any more fat gain than seperating them, provided cals are the same. I still think how YOU feel or respond is still very important. I seperate carb and fat meals because it makes me much much less bloated when bulking and makes it easier to eat more, which seems to be the opposite for you. And it helps me plan meals better etc. I think it's funny when people say "carbs make you feel this way and fats will help you feel full" yada, that's why I like your posts, your always sure not to generalize. Everybody can respond differenlty and that is more than enough reason to eat the way you feel is best, it's obviously worked very well for you.

Built
04-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks Smalls.

I've said before, it's all about appetite control with me.

If I can't control that part, I overeat. I suspect this is probably the biggest issue for anyone with weight problems.

Vapour Trails
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I think people should refrain from trying to use "snippets" of knowledge or "feelings" about metabolism to piece together the entire puzzle.

It's far more complicated than we can imagine. I have a poster in my lab that shows how all the pathways merge and interact, which is only half the story anyway, because various hormones are constantly changing the ebb and flow.

Besides, half the things people believe now will be disproven 10 years down the line. Just pick up a bodybuilding book from the 70s or 80s, they are full of diet/metabolism fallacies.

smalls
04-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I think people should refrain from trying to use "snippets" of knowledge or "feelings" about metabolism to piece together the entire puzzle.

It's far more complicated than we can imagine. I have a poster in my lab that shows how all the pathways merge and interact, which is only half the story anyway, because various hormones are constantly changing the ebb and flow.

Besides, half the things people believe now will be disproven 10 years down the line. Just pick up a bodybuilding book from the 70s or 80s, they are full of diet/metabolism fallacies.

No one is trying to piece the entire puzzle together homie. Nor would doing so even be beneficial. Just giving my reasons for the way I eat. Science is overated anyway, lol.

ryuage
04-21-2005, 12:47 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2350

Built
04-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Still doesn't work Ruage - I'm not a member.

Built
04-21-2005, 12:50 PM
No one is trying to piece the entire puzzle together homie. Nor would doing so even be beneficial. Just giving my reasons for the way I eat. Science is overated anyway, lol.

See, that's just it. I WISH I had the whole puzzle solved, but then, so does everybody else.

I'm just glad I've pieced together the bits I have so far, in as much as to say "at least it's working, now, for me".

Yanno?

waynis
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Why is that?

artificial sweetners can affect the way the body reads sugar.

Carbs, fats, fiber in the morning to jump start your metabolism.

Slim Schaedle
04-21-2005, 01:17 PM

Proof or studies, etc?

Max-Mex
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh I love oats, but sometimes I just feel like eating something different for a change.

Have some Frosted Flakes!! MMM........ :evillaugh

waynis
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Proof or studies, etc?

http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news-NG.asp?id=53188

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/nutrition/hb040915a.htm

Khar
04-21-2005, 03:04 PM
:withstupi

Manveet
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Even though eating carbs and fat in the same meal most likely would lead not to any more fat gain than seperating them, provided cals are the same. I still think how YOU feel or respond is still very important. I seperate carb and fat meals because it makes me much much less bloated when bulking and makes it easier to eat more, which seems to be the opposite for you. And it helps me plan meals better etc. I think it's funny when people say "carbs make you feel this way and fats will help you feel full" yada, that's why I like your posts, your always sure not to generalize. Everybody can respond differenlty and that is more than enough reason to eat the way you feel is best, it's obviously worked very well for you.

You should try having a tablespoon or two of vinegar with your high carb meals, definately takes away the bloating, at least in my experience.

Slim Schaedle
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news-NG.asp?id=53188

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/nutrition/hb040915a.htm

Well, those articles are great and all when relating to the general public who doesn't put any effort into counting their own calories and just goes by if they are hungry or not.

The articles address pyschology, not the body's metabolic processes and how it uses, or better, doesn't use, artificial sweeteners as energy.

Basically, those articles say if you use artificial sweeteners, you may eat more than you need.

Seems like a good idea to include them if someone is trying to gain weight.

Also, neither article says that "artificial sweetners can affect the way the body reads sugar." Obviosly sugar contains calories, but the article discusses the effect of sweeteners and calorie consumption in general.

One more thing, if we used those studies based on the information in the articles to change habits, then we should all start making our protein shakes very thick, as viscosity seems to affect our body's intuitive ability to regulate calories. But on second thought, if you are trying to bulk, make your shakes nice and runny :rolleyes:

Slim Schaedle
04-21-2005, 06:12 PM

I'm not trying to have a "bash waynis" session, but why not include protein in your list?

smalls
04-21-2005, 08:38 PM

I would like some backup to both these claims, and no those articles dont count for ****. Try pubmed or search some peer reviewed journals, maybe some physiological explenations of how the brain senses or the body processes these artificial sweetners. Your addressing bodybuilders not your parents overweight friends, articles that talk about what "may" occur according to texture and sweetness are a joke.
But the jump start your metabolism thing is just fookin crazy. Your BMR is based on many things, food being one of them. Getting no food will slow down your metabolism (over a period of time). But waking up in the morning and eating carbs, fats, and fiber will not effect your metabolism differently to any great extent, than anything else you would eat.

Again, just like slim, I'm not trying to rip on you. It just seems we've been disagreeing on some points lately and i'm trying to keep this site from falling into the pits of hell. . . fast. This is not a personal attack, I may come off harsh but I'm trying not to.

danlifter
05-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Get some protein cereal. or high fiber, not processed.