PDA

View Full Version : Those who lift and don't take whey protein...

DannyboyXJ
04-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Alright. I've been taking 2-3 servings of whey protein a day for quite some time. The problem: I think it's been the cause of my acne. Before taking it, I rarely had "breakouts"; now they are more frequent.

While I'm not POSITIVE, I'm taking a week or so off of the whey to see if it makes a difference.

My question: I try to get a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day. I'm just having trouble getting the required amounts of protein from a normal-food diet. How do I do it?

I figure an egg sandwich or something for breakfast with a big glass of milk. For lunch, some form of sandwich w/ a lot of meat + milk. Snack after school is usually tuna fish (I actually like the taste, plus it has a lot of protein). Dinner is usually meat/fish and some other stuff.

I think I just *might* get enough protein from eating this way. I'm just finding it hard since each shake was 20g. or so...

UGH! Help.

--Dan.

ryuage
04-20-2005, 04:42 PM
how do you do it.... eat more protein?

Manveet
04-20-2005, 04:56 PM
I think I was easily getting 200g+ of protein a day w/o any shakes. Shouldn't really be a problem, just eat more protein rich foods.

YungLifter
04-20-2005, 06:25 PM
i get like 200g protein from just foods w/o even trying chicken breast's, tuna, shrimp, turkey breast

Built
04-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Milk has whey in it.
Not sure how giving up whey shakes could help. :scratch:

PowerManDL
04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
That whey stuff, it's hardcore. You should cycle off it and let your body recover for sure.

monotone
04-20-2005, 06:58 PM
That whey stuff, it's hardcore. You should cycle off it and let your body recover for sure.

haha always good timing on the smart ass remarks

this is not the first post about Whey causing acne either??? i dunno dude, you are probably doing something else that is causing the acne... perhaps not washing your face after workouts.

Sidior
04-20-2005, 09:33 PM
I hear daily showers help

ReelBigFish
04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
i think some may have a reaction to it. Don't know why, its just protein but i have a buddy who as soon as he starts to take it, he breaks out bad, and hes 23 years old. IDK. it could be sumthing else in the whey like the flavorings or sweetener.

DannyboyXJ
04-20-2005, 09:52 PM
i think some may have a reaction to it. Don't know why, its just protein but i have a buddy who as soon as he starts to take it, he breaks out bad, and hes 23 years old. IDK. it could be sumthing else in the whey like the flavorings or sweetener.

Ditto. I'm thinking the exact same thing. I drink tons of milk and I know that isn't causing it.

It must be the extra crap added to the whey to make it bearable to drink...

We'll see!

BTW, daily showers = done.

I'm just going to concentrate on eating protein-rich stuff this week and see if I really "need" to take the whey supplements.

--Dan.

Shao-LiN
04-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Ditto. I'm thinking the exact same thing. I drink tons of milk and I know that isn't causing it.

It must be the extra crap added to the whey to make it bearable to drink...

We'll see!

BTW, daily showers = done.

I'm just going to concentrate on eating protein-rich stuff this week and see if I really "need" to take the whey supplements.

--Dan.

Here's an easy answer, you don't need to take them. No one does. No one needs to take any supplements. People have been gaining muscle before someone thought up a whey protein supplement. Supplements are just that, supplements to your diet. They are not a crutch that will make or break you.

wrestlemaniac
04-21-2005, 02:08 AM
yeah, you don't need to take them to gain weight.... you need to get more than 100 grams of protien to gain weight though (unless you just ended a career as a 5'4 female model that decided to get into bodybuilding).

mihorne
04-21-2005, 09:46 AM
yeah, you don't need to take them to gain weight.... you need to get more than 100 grams of protien to gain weight though (unless you just ended a career as a 5'4 female model that decided to get into bodybuilding).

lol

MM
04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Actually, I agree with you. I upped the number of my shakes from one to two lately, with servings in the four range. Like you, I noticed my skin breaking out more. I may stop using it once it runs out, and see how my body reacts.

Big Bas
04-21-2005, 12:09 PM
i actually WOULDN'T stop... my body reacts to changes; one of the ways i react is by breaking out (Not bad, but more than i'd like). For example, i drank this past weekend for the first time in a while, and i broke out this week. I think when your body gets used to the change in your diet, you will react normally. Until then, supplement some Vitamin B5 and see if that doesnt help you clear up a bit

MM
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Or you drank a lot and became dehydrated, which will affect your skin.

MM
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Where I assume by "drank" you mean "drank alcoholic beverages".

shansen008
04-21-2005, 12:20 PM
If youre lifting heavy ass weights and drinking whey shakes on a bulk, you probably just have elevated testosterone from the lifting....can cause acne too.

Suck it up.

DannyboyXJ
04-21-2005, 02:55 PM
i actually WOULDN'T stop... my body reacts to changes; one of the ways i react is by breaking out (Not bad, but more than i'd like). For example, i drank this past weekend for the first time in a while, and i broke out this week. I think when your body gets used to the change in your diet, you will react normally. Until then, supplement some Vitamin B5 and see if that doesnt help you clear up a bit

Vitamin B5, hmm. I've never heard of this before. What exactly does it do to clear your skin? How long/how much should I take a day to see if it does anything?

--Dan.

Den Fisher
04-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Vitamin B5, hmm. I've never heard of this before. What exactly does it do to clear your skin? How long/how much should I take a day to see if it does anything?

--Dan.

pantothenic acid.. www.swansonvitamins.com (http://www.swansonvitamins.com)

always keep taking them, and I currently take 2,000mg a day (4 pills a day)

if you do purchase any from there.. the 500mg 500 tabs is a steal.

abwowang
04-21-2005, 03:54 PM
geez 4 pills a day wow!!!