PDA

View Full Version : Regular lifter: Eat at night?

DannyboyXJ
04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
I've always heard it's "not good to eat at night/before you go to bed."

My only concern is, what affect would doing so have on my lifting? Is this statement geared solely towards those trying to lose weight; cause that's certainly not me. I lift 4-5 times a week (usually 4); I'm going to mass gains so I find myself eating frequently.

In my eyes, it only makes sense to eat *something* before going to bed.

What do you guys eat at night?

--Dan.

Shao-LiN
04-20-2005, 11:15 PM
There's nothing wrong with eating at night. In fact, it is recommended that you do consume a slow digesting protein before bed in order to combat catabolism. There are people who believe in the myth that after some magical time your body automatically stores fat.

DannyboyXJ
04-20-2005, 11:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with eating at night. In fact, it is recommended that you do consume a slow digesting protein before bed in order to combat catabolism. There are people who believe in the myth that after some magical time your body automatically stores fat.

Well, I'm usually tired/lazy at night; would a bowl of whole-grain cereal + skim milk be fine to eat and still be somewhat beneficial?

I mean, the milk has a good deal of protein (2+ cups = 16g).

-Dan.

shootermcgavin7
04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
What do you guys eat at night?

Usually a can of tuna and a shake witha whey/casein in it.

ReelBigFish
04-21-2005, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't say cereal and milk is a good choice. Go with some cottage cheese and pb. or some kind of lean protein and a little fat to slow it down. Your body grows when you sleep so you want a slow, steady stream of protein through the night.

lowry383
04-24-2005, 01:38 PM
see my problem at night, i start eating the pb outta the jar, pretty soon 1/3 of the jar is gone. some advice, eat something at night that you can actually stop eating.

wrestlemaniac
04-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I've often wondered about the catabolism of *not* eating at night. I mean, yeah I eat my cottage cheese but our bodys are in a state of growth when we sleep which kind of contradicts the whole catabolism idea imo. Plus you don't *do* anything at night so you don't need the calories. I'd just like to see the studies is all cuz even though I do follow these "rules" I've oftened questioned them personally.

getfit
04-24-2005, 02:08 PM
i usually have yogurt with protein and fruit or pb and a tall glass of soya milk

ReelBigFish
04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
i think the whole "not eating at night" thing comes into for most people beacause most people dont count calories and probably consume the amount they need in all in their other meals. It all comes down to calories in v.s. calories out. and most people will sit in front of the t.v. and mindlessly consume half a bag of potato chips cuasing a huge calorie surplus which cuases their weight gain.

ryuage
04-24-2005, 02:21 PM
i think the whole "not eating at night" thing comes into for most people beacause most people dont count calories and probably consume the amount they need in all in their other meals. It all comes down to calories in v.s. calories out. and most people will sit in front of the t.v. and mindlessly consume half a bag of potato chips cuasing a huge calorie surplus which cuases their weight gain.

:thumbup:

ill sit with a jar of peanutbutter and my finger haha next thing you know the shows over and the peanut butter jar is empty :cry:

spencerjrus
04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
I think the majority of my weight gain can be attributed to gorging at 3am while less than sober.

Mexican food *droool*

hoser813
04-24-2005, 04:12 PM
try taking a protein shake with about a tsp of olive oil before you go to bed. The olive oil will help slow digestion, and your body can break it down over the period of the night.

fixationdarknes
04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
I eat cottage cheese and PB, and maybe some fruit.

ReelBigFish
04-24-2005, 10:35 PM
:thumbup:

ill sit with a jar of peanutbutter and my finger haha next thing you know the shows over and the peanut butter jar is empty :cry:

LOL that's why i stopped eating Peanut Butter all together. Ever since i was a little kid i've loved the stuff. Of course that was the sugary kind but even then i would eat heaping tablespoons at a time. So instead of going that route now, i just gave it up. :(

Shao-LiN
04-24-2005, 11:04 PM
If you're cutting, it may be a problem, but if you're bulking...have at it.

MM
04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Eat something. Eat something you want to eat that isn't junk food. I think the cereal and milk is fine. Eat it. Eat some more.

I've been eating a natty PB & Jelly sandwich, lately.

danlifter
05-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I eat cottage cheese and peanut butter right before bed every night so my muscles have a slow digesting protein to build off of.

Sc00t
05-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I'll not lie. Before bed, i usually bite down on about 6 candy bars. Until like, this week - I just started to try and bulk up. (I'm a n00b.) Now I eat oatmeal with fruit in it. YARR!