PDA

View Full Version : parkinson's by drinking milk

coffinhenry
04-21-2005, 04:14 AM
I came across this article this morning.
As I know lots of use drink the stuff daily.

Middle-aged men double chances of Parkinson's by drinking milk
08 April 2005

Middle-aged men who drink a couple of glasses of milk each day may be doubling their risk of later developing Parkinson's disease, new research says.

According to a Honolulu study of 7500 men the risk of parkinson's disease increased in proportion to the amount of milk consumed each day.

Results published on the website of Neurology magazine yesterday showed that heavy milk drinkers in the study were 2.3-times more likely to develop parkinson's disease than non-milk drinkers.

The study, Consumption of Milk and Calcium in Midlife and the Future Risk of Parkinson's Disease, was led by Robert Abbott, a professor of biostatistics at Virginia University, in Charlottesville, USA.

The disease is a disorder of the central nervous system that progressively deteriorates when insufficient quantities of the chemical dopamine are produced by the brain. It affects about 7000 New Zealanders, and another 2000 have related conditions.

The second most common neurodegenerative disease (after alzheimer's disease), Parkinson's disease is characterised by trembling, rigid posture, slow movements and a shuffling, unbalanced gait. One of the best-known sufferers was the late Pope John Paul.

The findings published yesterday are from a study of 7504 men enrolled in the Honolulu Heart Programme, who were between 45 and 68 years of age and had their medical histories tracked for 30 years.

AdvertisementAdvertisementDietary intake for all subjects was recorded when the study began in the late 1960s, and a total of 128 participants developed Parkinson's disease, according to Dr Abbott.

A statistical analysis of the study showed that though the risk of Parkinson's disease doubled, the actual number of cases involved was small.

The researchers calculated that, annually, 6.9 cases of the disease would be expected among 10,000 people who drank no milk each day. By contrast, 14.9 cases would be expected if each of those 10,000 people each drank more than 16 ounces (about two cups) per day.

But the researchers found no evidence that calcium, either from dairy or non-dairy sources, had any effect on the risk of parkinson's disease.

This suggested that some other component of milk was responsible for the pattern seen, possibly by acting as an environmental "trigger" in people with a genetic susceptibility.

But the researchers said further studies were needed to determine what the ingredient was.

While the causes of parkinson's disease are not clear, it has in some previous studies been linked to viruses, toxins, and drugs.

Oxidative damage has also been thought to contribute, and some studies have found that antioxidants can protect against the progression of the disease. Other dietary factors investigated so far include total energy intake, coffee, dietary fats, carbohydrates, chocolates, and a variety of vitamins.

A study published two years ago by Dr Honglei Chen, of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health in Massachusetts, found that dietary intake of dairy products was associated with an increased risk of developing Parkinson's in men, but not in women.

TheGimp
04-21-2005, 04:30 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63160

coffinhenry
04-21-2005, 04:48 AM
When I seached this via seach, it turned up with nothing.
This is way i posted it sorry if I have stepped on your feet.