PDA

View Full Version : eating a lot of potatoes

eddie500
04-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm picky with food, but I can always eat potatoes.

My question is, is there any drawbacks from getting a lot of my carbs from potoatoes? Like I eat usually 2 meals a day with meat and a lot of potatoes.

These are normal potatoes not sweet, I don't like the sweet.

Holto
04-21-2005, 01:03 PM
some would call it a white carb but it's not comparable to white bread, rice or pasta

a potatoe was born white while the others I listed are an abomination of nature due to man's intervention

Max-Mex
04-21-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm picky with food, but I can always eat potatoes.

My question is, is there any drawbacks from getting a lot of my carbs from potoatoes? Like I eat usually 2 meals a day with meat and a lot of potatoes.

These are normal potatoes not sweet, I don't like the sweet.

Not a big deal but if you are cutting, those potatoes can add up in cals (are also digested very quickly). For bulking, eat away.

Beast
04-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Baked potatoes have a very high glycemic index, which is why people avoid them.

IZich
04-22-2005, 12:36 AM
just gnaw 'em raw if you're a man.

i'm half kidding.

wrestlemaniac
04-22-2005, 01:46 AM
ever consider switching to Sweet Potatos? Much better GI than just regular potats

thajeepster
04-22-2005, 01:49 AM
make sure your eating the skins as well... and none of that instant mashed potato crap either.

Holto
04-22-2005, 09:40 AM
and this is why GI should be basically ignored in favour of Glycemic Load

if you work it out for a potatoe it's very low

potatoes are great for sustainable energy and great for cutting because of satiety

I believe the potatoe is #1 on the satiety index

carrots have a high GI and a low GL and I think we all know carrots can't spike your blood sugar & insulin

mle_ii
04-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Potatoes are good eat em. If you bake them with the skins on you'll get a bit more of the vitamins in insides than if you cook them without the skins.

Though if you can stomach sweet potatoes they have much more vitamins and minerals. I eat the sweet potatoes and I mix about 6 cups with 1/2 cup splenda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp ginger. Tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Yum!

Veritas
04-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Though if you can stomach sweet potatoes they have much more vitamins and minerals. I eat the sweet potatoes and I mix about 6 cups with 1/2 cup splenda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp ginger. Tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Yum!
http://www.imagestash.com/uploads/32375.gif
Sounds like a great recipe, hmm might be able to fit that in my low-carb diet.

TheGimp
04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
and this is why GI should be basically ignored in favour of Glycemic Load

if you work it out for a potatoe it's very low

potatoes are great for sustainable energy and great for cutting because of satiety

I believe the potatoe is #1 on the satiety index

carrots have a high GI and a low GL and I think we all know carrots can't spike your blood sugar & insulin

Interesting stuff.