PDA

View Full Version : sprouted grain breads

manowar669
04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Other than relief for those suffering from Celiac disease or gluten allergies, are there any health benefits to sprouted grain breads? I grabbed a loaf yesterday, tastes good, and the macros and ingredients look good (no HFCS, sugar, honey, molasses, or other sugars added).

TheMachine
04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't know of any other health benefits (other than those you listed). I myself only eat sprouted grain breads, usually sprouted flax bread.

Holto
04-21-2005, 05:54 PM
the sprouting involves soaking which removes most of the phytates

Optimum08
04-21-2005, 07:06 PM
holto is this a good thing or bad thing?

Isaac Wilkins
04-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Other than relief for those suffering from Celiac disease or gluten allergies, are there any health benefits to sprouted grain breads? I grabbed a loaf yesterday, tastes good, and the macros and ingredients look good (no HFCS, sugar, honey, molasses, or other sugars added).

Those benefits alone make it worthwhile to eat them. I would hazard to say they're a bit easier to digest, but you probably won't notice the difference unless you have a particularly sensitive GI tract.

_-_v_-_
04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
They actually tend to be somewhat more fibrous and harder to digest than regular WW bread, at least in my experience.

I tend to get a stomach ache whenever I eat them.

AzBboy
04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
They are very low first-category on the glycemic index, and they are a complete protein. Eat away.

Isaac Wilkins
04-22-2005, 05:29 AM
They actually tend to be somewhat more fibrous and harder to digest than regular WW bread, at least in my experience.

I tend to get a stomach ache whenever I eat them.

What about in relation to other whole grain breads? Regular whole wheat bread is very milled.

Holto
04-22-2005, 09:37 AM
holto is this a good thing or bad thing?

phytates can coat your small intestine and inhibit absorbtion

this is why the chinese *historically* never ate soy without fermentation,ie: tempeh, misu