PDA

View Full Version : confused with GI...HELP!

Prelude
12-03-2001, 10:26 AM
Ok according to this Oatmeal has a GI of 49 and Ice Cream a GI of 50. If Oatmeal is good and ice cream is bad why then would they have almost the same GI. I know you're not supposed to eat carbs w/ fats. So what if it's a fat free Ice cream with a scoop of protein? Sorry for all the ?s I just love Ice cream so much?

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.html

Reinier
12-03-2001, 10:33 AM
just since when is GI a measure to indicate how good/bad a food is for you?

PowerManDL
12-03-2001, 10:41 AM
Fat-free ice cream really isn't that bad.

Prelude
12-03-2001, 10:46 AM
I'm planning to cheat and just want to make sure it's not gonna set me back a few weeks. Thanks!!!

CBates
12-03-2001, 11:04 AM
Yeah, the fat free ice cream isn't that bad and is not going to set you back really. I had a whole container Saturday (sugar craving bad!!) and by looking in the mirror I don't think it set me back any. Now last night I had cookies though and I do believe those set me back a few days tuttut but oh well, I had a bad sugar craving this weekend and it was well worth it..

Reinier
12-03-2001, 11:08 AM
i havent had any cravings since i started the diet...
does his make me an alien?

Prelude
12-03-2001, 11:10 AM
I had a whole container Saturday

Whole container meaning half a gallon? DAMN!

What kind of fat free IC did you have? All I could find at Albertsons are Blue Bunny Fat Free Yogurt Ice Cream. Is that
the same thing?

syntekz
12-03-2001, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Prelude
I'm planning to cheat and just want to make sure it's not gonna set me back a few weeks. Thanks!!!

A few weeks? You could eat an entire pizza from pizza hut and it isn't going to set you back a FEW WEEKS.

Prelude
12-03-2001, 11:14 AM
i havent had any cravings since i started the diet...

~smacks him in the head~

...lucky bastard! :D :D

I have cravings everyday!

Prelude
12-03-2001, 11:17 AM
A few weeks? You could eat an entire pizza from pizza hut and it isn't going to set you back a FEW WEEKS.

....Oh boy! this is getting better and better! :D

CBates
12-03-2001, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Prelude

Whole container meaning half a gallon? DAMN!

What kind of fat free IC did you have? All I could find at Albertsons are Blue Bunny Fat Free Yogurt Ice Cream. Is that
the same thing?

It was Blue Bell, banana split favor... I know, I couldn't believe I ate that much. I was surprised my tummy could hold that much food.. I'm usually pretty good about holding out on my cravings, I can go months at a time without cheating on my diet.. I just figured that I had no reason to take my shirt off in the next few weeks to impress anyone so what the hell, I'll cheat this weekend..

the doc
12-03-2001, 11:58 AM
just one more reason why gi is greatly over-rated for its usefulness

think about it. ice cream is loaded with SUGAR.

would you eat a cup of sugar on your diet?

Tryska
12-03-2001, 12:01 PM
word.

Prelude
12-03-2001, 12:11 PM
My original post was not referring to Ice cream being part of my daily diet but rather, as a cheat meal.

syntekz
12-03-2001, 12:12 PM
Thank you doc!

Someone else who agrees.

body
12-03-2001, 02:13 PM
the ice cream is going to be more empty kcals and not have the vitmains, minerals and fibre of the oatmeal.
did you get the GI off the same scale as people often mix the white bread =100 against the glucose =100 scale.

look more for the glyceamic response rather than the index.

When looking at the GI or GR. you also have to take into account it took to get through the stomach as well. Some foods go through the stomach quickly giving it a higher GI index than other foods that take a while to get through the stomach even though they may have the same carb profile as each other.

Also for oatmeal it will depend on ho runny the oatmeal is, as the runnier the oatmeal the more quickly it will go through the stomach, but at the same time it will have a lower carb% so will take longer, when it reaches the intestine to get the same amount of carbs absorbed.

There are more than just type of carbs that effect GI. water, fat, fibre, protien content, your level of hydration, have you just been exercising etc will all effect it.

Reinier
12-03-2001, 02:53 PM
he was just asking if it would be kool to have some of his cheat day.
btw i think a CHEAT day is called that cuz you get to CHEAT.
so just whatever the **** you want.

Reinier
12-03-2001, 02:54 PM
*flames self for being an undedicated little bitch with baby lifts who needs to get some shuteye*

im a sleep now.

MWB
12-03-2001, 03:16 PM
Keep in mind that the Glycemic Index is diffrernt from the Insulin Index. GI measures how fast blood glucose levels rise. Insulin Index measures how much insulin is released. Granted, most things that are high GI are also high II, but some things aren't, like milk. Milk has a fairly low GI but on the II it's higher than oats. Certain fruits are like this as well.

I lost the link that explained all this, but if I find it again I'll post it. I just think that if you are dieting, avoid sugars of any kind regaurdless of what they measure on the GI.

the doc
12-03-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MWB
...I just think that if you are dieting, avoid sugars of any kind regaurdless of what they measure on the GI.

:nod:

Tryska
12-03-2001, 05:25 PM
wait...shouldn't milk be lower on the Insulin response scale?

MWB
12-03-2001, 06:24 PM
Tryska, you would think that since milk has a very low GI it would have a very low II. It doesn't, I don't know the science behind it, but I remember the chart and there was an actual study on this very point posted on another board. This was a while ago and I'm having trouble finding it.
Is a glass of milk going to make or break your physique? No way. But like I said before if you are dieting, limit your intake of all forms of sugar, fructose, lactose, whatever.
A green apple every few days might be a good idea just to help out your thyroid from claorie restriction though.

the doc
12-04-2001, 05:48 AM
lactose fructose and sucrose are all low on the ii because they are processed in the liver in a different way than glucose (that which is responsible for causing insulin release). THis is why they favor liver glycogen replacement over muscle glycogen

MWB
12-04-2001, 09:29 AM
There you go doc, that's what I was trying to get across.