PDA

View Full Version : My wife to be needs help!

DavyRen
04-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Right here goes boys and girls my wife to be needs help losing weight, i've felt the benefit from the experience of all on this site and thought you may be able to help. She is 22 5ft 3" and currently weighs 154lbs, a few years ago she used to weigh 112lbs. She has a very sensible diet, very rarely eats any crap and goes to the gym 3 times a week (does circuits and weights). I know in principle she should burn more calories than she eats but it doesn't seem to work. Her arms and lower legs have very little fat but it's her stomach and upper legs which need to lose a bit. She's looking better as people are commenting on it but she's starting to get demotivated. I know at large nutrition have some products which help to burn fat but I want to be sure before she tries anything. She seems to get enough protein in her daily diet as it is.

Any help would be most appreciated.

memo7flex
04-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey bro, what's her diet like?? how much cardio does she do?? Is she taking any supps, and if not what were you thinking about getting her?? Post some of her meals and her workouts so we can help you out a little better!!

DavyRen
04-23-2005, 03:42 AM
Hey bro, what's her diet like?? how much cardio does she do?? Is she taking any supps, and if not what were you thinking about getting her?? Post some of her meals and her workouts so we can help you out a little better!!

As stated before eats health and very little crap, everything she buys she has always checked the fat content and other ingrediants. She goes to Circuits (mixture of weights,cardio and toning exercises, apparently burning 750 cals or so) on a Monday and Friday for 1 hour each visit and the gym on a wednesday (treadmill,bike,cross trainer).
She's taking no supplements (i thought by taking the right product it could help, possibly Thermocin from at large nutrician).
Some of the things she eats
pasta,chicken,rice,vegetables,beans,ommelettes,cheese,salad,tuna,jaked potatoes

spencerjrus
04-23-2005, 04:42 AM
As stated before eats health and very little crap, everything she buys she has always checked the fat content and other ingrediants. She goes to Circuits (mixture of weights,cardio and toning exercises, apparently burning 750 cals or so) on a Monday and Friday for 1 hour each visit and the gym on a wednesday (treadmill,bike,cross trainer).
She's taking no supplements (i thought by taking the right product it could help, possibly Thermocin from at large nutrician).

go and immediatley find out her mainteance calories, subtract 200, make a new diet.

Isaac Wilkins
04-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Given how young she is, that's quite a lot of weight gain in few years. What has changed? There must be something different now considering that she's 22 and 154 pounds and was only 112 in her late teens or around 20 (I'm assuming on the age?).

Figuring that out will help us plan the best method of attack for her.

muscle chic
04-23-2005, 08:13 AM

Pasta, ommelettes, cheese and jacked potatoes. Could be pert of the problem.lol !! Post her diet throughout the day along with the amount she's eating. I don't think pills are going to help. She needs to "CLEAN" up her diet.

Isaac Wilkins
04-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Well, maybe yes, maybe no. There certainly could be healthy amounts and recipies of all of those foods.

I'm not actually sure what a "jacked potato" is. If it's a baked potato covered in sour cream and jack cheese, then that's not so healthy. ;)

tholian8
04-23-2005, 08:40 AM
I think that's meant to be "jacket potato," which is what a baked potato is called over here.

Isaac Wilkins
04-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Ah. Well, a baked potato (minus all of the **** I mentioned above) can be healthy enough.

Shark
04-23-2005, 09:12 AM
A lot of my female friends in college gained weight after they hit 21-22. It seems like with some women that's when their metabolism begins to slow down a bit. I can tell you that if she is 5'3" and buring 750 cals three times a week then her diet is wrong. Just because she eats pretty good foods doesn't mean she doesn't eat too many of them. She needs to start eating about 1800 cals a day IMHO and that food should be slightly lower carb then what she is eating now. That would be my recomendation.

Isaac Wilkins
04-23-2005, 09:15 AM
A lot of my female friends in college gained weight after they hit 21-22. It seems like with some women that's when their metabolism begins to slow down a bit. I can tell you that if she is 5'3" and buring 750 cals three times a week then her diet is wrong. Just because she eats pretty good foods doesn't mean she doesn't eat too many of them. She needs to start eating about 1800 cals a day IMHO and that food should be slightly lower carb then what she is eating now. That would be my recomendation.

It's been my experience that that coincides with a) stopping high school sports, and b) discovering girlie drinks.

getfit
04-23-2005, 09:53 AM
It's been my experience that that coincides with a) stopping high school sports, and b) discovering girlie drinks.
it must have been all the girlie drinks that slowed down my metabolism! ;)

Built
04-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Nothing much to add - it's mainly her diet.

Going by personal experience here (same thing happened to me at the same age), she's probably not eating enough protein, and if she's eating a lot of carbs, it might be stimulating her appetite too much. Weirdly enough, her fats may be too low, which compounds the problem.

Additionally, circuits are good cardio, but I'm not sure what her weight training is like. She probably needs to really jack this part up. I had avoided heavy weight training until my late thirties, and I WISH I had realized what ditching cardio and cranking on weights would do for my body and my metabolism.

She is discovering that you can't cardio off the wrong diet. Tell her to post up her macros from www.fitday.com in here, along with how she's training, and we'll be able to help her get it working.

Isaac Wilkins
04-23-2005, 10:01 AM
it must have been all the girlie drinks that slowed down my metabolism! ;)

Well, I don't know what you think of girlie drinks, but I've seen you put a hurting on the tequila and vodka!

;)

Isaac Wilkins
04-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Nothing much to add - it's mainly her diet.

Going by personal experience here (same thing happened to me at the same age), she's probably not eating enough protein, and if she's eating a lot of carbs, it might be stimulating her appetite too much. Weirdly enough, her fats may be too low, which compounds the problem.

Additionally, circuits are good cardio, but I'm not sure what her weight training is like. She probably needs to really jack this part up. I had avoided heavy weight training until my late thirties, and I WISH I had realized what ditching cardio and cranking on weights would do for my body and my metabolism.

She is discovering that you can't cardio off the wrong diet. Tell her to post up her macros from www.fitday.com in here, along with how she's training, and we'll be able to help her get it working.

Right. I'm sure the problem is primarily her training and diet, but until we get a little more information it's hard to give decent advice.

General background info -> general advice -> failure.

Edit: I'm just backing Built up on this to prompt the info appearing.

Built
04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Right. Which is why I suggested going to fitday to check out her diet, and that she post up how she's training so we can make suggestions.

The other stuff is pretty general advise that I'd give almost anyone.

:)

Edit: Oh, okay. I need my breakfast.

Thanks Borris.

:)

spencerjrus
04-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Please let us know what her macro breakdown is once you get it, Im suspicious that her carbs are probably too high and her fats/protein are too low like built said.

memo7flex
04-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Also, did she just get on birth control??? That can play a huge factor in the recent weight gain.

Shao-LiN
04-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Pasta, ommelettes, cheese and jacked potatoes. Could be pert of the problem.lol !! Post her diet throughout the day along with the amount she's eating. I don't think pills are going to help. She needs to "CLEAN" up her diet.

Those aren't "dirty" foods.

spencerjrus
04-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Those aren't "dirty" foods.

Ya those foods are fine, just eat less of them.

DavyRen
04-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Many thanks to all for your help, the foods she eats are all small portions with very little fat content. Maybe she could eat more protein. I'll ask to have a go at www.fitday.com and i'll keep you informed.
To memo7flex yes she is on the pill for birth control, I believe this is the main problem as she's really good with her diet and exercise. She has visited the doctor on several occassions for advice, tried different makes of the pill but she has received very little help.

Built
04-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Cool - it'll be good to see how she's eating. This is really key.

DavyRen
04-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Cool - it'll be good to see how she's eating. This is really key.

Cheers built i've just logged on to the site, it looks mighty impressive. I might even have a go myself.

Built
04-24-2005, 02:37 PM
It's interesting.

I don't fitday every day when I'm bulking, but I absolutely HAVE to keep track when I'm cutting.

It's like accounting - when your finances get out of control, you do an audit.

Same thing with food - when what you're doing isn't working, and I don't care WHAT genius came up with your diet, you're out of balance somewhere, for YOU. You have to see what's NOT working so you can fiddle with it until it DOES.

DavyRen
04-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Your very wise, i like the custom foods part. It's just gonna be the case of asking my misses to remember what she has eat each day and what nutritional values were in it.
Keeping the packet would be a good idea.

Thanks again it's most appreciated

memo7flex
04-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I know how that goes, my wife has the same problem. She's tried all sorts of different kinds, the one that she likes best is Yasmin. I don't know which one your girl takes, but she might wanna ask about that one

Built
04-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm SO glad I got off the pill.

Helllloooo sex drive! I've MISSED you!

memo7flex
04-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that's definitely the great downside to her being on the pill

Built
04-25-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't think the pill actually prevents pregnancy. I think it just leaves women so disinterested in sex it's a moot point.

DavyRen
04-26-2005, 06:37 AM
I don't think the pill actually prevents pregnancy. I think it just leaves women so disinterested in sex it's a moot point.

Tell me about it! I'm sick of the numerous conversations I've had with her as she really can't be bothered.

After inputting the food info into fitday for a couple of days can you let me know what % you should have for protein,fat and carbs.

DavyRen
04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Another quick question. How many calories should I be getting? I'm looking to increase my muscle size but would like to stay quite lean as it's almost summer and to be honest i've never really been fat or big. I'm more interested in being defined than being large. I've also been thinking of trying Opticen from at large to supplement my daily intake of nutrients.

IRN-BRU
04-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Whether cutting or bulking, it's all a case of finding your maintenance calorie level, and either subtracting some or adding some. Everyones metabolism and daily activity is different so the only way to really find out is to count them up, and check if you're gaining weight or losing weight. Adjust it so you're gaining or losing around 1 to 1.5lb per week.

That's news to me about the pill, I didnt notice a correlation between the two, but I'll keep it in mind ;-)

Built
04-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Tell me about it! I'm sick of the numerous conversations I've had with her as she really can't be bothered.

After inputting the food info into fitday for a couple of days can you let me know what % you should have for protein,fat and carbs.

There’s nothing magical about the ratios.

The key players are protein, calories, and how to manipulate carbs and fats to produce the least hunger. For many people, carbs are more hunger-inducing. This is the case with me, at any rate.

Fats are more satisfying, but I need carbs around lifting, so I have a strategy that’s working well for me.

The way I do it is as follows:

Basic carb cycling plan, for bulking OR cutting.

Find maintenance cals by tracking on www.fitday.com for about a few days or a week to get a rough idea.

Go a bit OVER on calories for bulking, under for cutting.

Usual guidelines for bulking are to add about 200 daily cals for a week or two, then another 200 daily cals for another few weeks, and monitor fat gain (if you increase all at once, you get excessive fat gain).

For cutting, cals drop by 10-15% from maintenance - basically the reverse of bulking.

How to set the parameters:
Protein should be about 1.0 -1.5g per pound bodyweight ( I err on the high side)
(For very overweight people, use their goal weight)

Fats for satiety and as a caloric ballast.

Starchy carbs in the meals near weightlifting workouts, and nowhere else (again, for hunger control more than anything).
My plan
I'll give you a couple of "typical" days - one training, one cutting.
My maintenance cals are 2300 a day. I'm cutting now, so my current cals are lower.

Basically, it's structured around the protein - 1.2-1.5g per pound, roughly, fats for satiety and as a caloric ballast, carbs added in around lifting.

Baseline supps:

Calcium citrate: 750 mg daily
Glucosamine, 1000mg daily
MSM, 1000 mg daily
Fish oil 10g daily
Selenium 200 micrograms daily
Cod liver oil
Vitamin D3 1000 IU daily
vit E 400 IU
Multi B-50
Gram vit C
Caffeine tablets as required, and before all workouts

Maint cals for me: 2300 daily, and I weigh roughly 140 lbs (and shrinking…)

Trying to maintain 10-15% calorie reduction
********************************************************************************

(4 days a week, lifting days)
Sample lifting day menu:

M1: 5 hard boiled egg whites with one yolk, tiny pat of butter, salt
M2: ¾ cup cottage cheese, half an apple, level tablespoon natty PB
M3: romaine, homemade dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices), half avocado, 4 oz chicken breast
M4: 4oz chicken breast, broccoli, small pat of butter.

Afternoon snack: protein waffle, possibly some fruit or jam depending on my remaining calories available.

1-2 hours later: train (no cardio)
(during training: 20g protein with 40g dextrose in 1L water if you like)

M5: whey shake, one scoop (24g protein) no dextrose, just creatine (if you're going to use dextrose, do it here. I can't afford the calories. A guy would use at least twice as much protein for the post workout shake.) followed by protein waffle, might have dab of jam if I have the calories to spare

M6: steak, broccoli, multigrain pasta, tiny pat of butter

source grams cals %total
Total: 2034
Fat: 74 663 33%
Sat: 19 167 8%
Poly: 9 85 4%
Mono: 30 266 13%
Carbs: 141 500 25%
Fiber: 16 0 0%
Protein: 212 850 42%

********************************************************************************
(2-3 days a week: AM empty cardio: 20 mins fast walking outside)
Sample non-lifting-day menu:

M1: 5 hard boiled egg whites with one yolk, tiny pat of butter, salt
M2: ¾ cup cottage cheese, quarter of an apple, level tablespoon natty PB, 2 walnuts
M3: romaine, homemade dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices), half avocado, 4 oz chicken breast
M4: 4oz chicken breast, other half avocado, broccoli, small pat of butter.
M5: steak, broccoli, pat of butter
M6: ¾ cup cottage cheese, quarter of an apple, level tablespoon natty PB, 2 walnuts

source grams cals %total
Total: 1756
Fat: 96 865 50%
Sat: 23 206 12%
Poly: 20 180 10%
Mono: 38 339 20%
Carbs: 53 163 9%
Fiber: 12 0 0%
Protein: 177 708 41%

AllUp
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
First thing that came to mind was Nutrient timing. The times at which she eats, and what she eats (i.e if she eats pasta in the AM and does no physical activity until later in the PM opposed to consuming it around workout time) as well as Fat content as Built said.

Post her diet! :D

DavyRen
05-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Right here goes my missus was in tears this morning as we're getting married in 8 weeks and she's getting weighed all the time and gaining. She's not gonna fit into her dress apparently. I know it's a stressful time. She has completed fitday for a couple of days so here's the info.

She has only completed 2 days but here average is as follows, probably quite typical over time as she eats mostly the same stuff with no junk.

Average Calories
source grams cals %total
Total: 1360
Fat: 19 168 13%
Sat: 5 47 4%
Poly: 2 15 1%
Mono: 2 18 1%
Carbs: 202 781 58%
Fiber: 7 0 0%
Protein: 98 392 29%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Built
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Okay.

Protein is not too bad, but could be about 50g higher.

Carbs are too high - she must be hungry ALL the damned time.

Fats are INSANELY low. This is NOT good.

And unless she's five feet tall, her calories are weirdly low.

Has she had her thyroid checked? These are pretty darned close to starvation calories.

DavyRen
05-05-2005, 05:01 AM
Cheers built she's actually 5ft 3". She is on purpose eating barely any calories or fat and is still not losing weight. If she eats more she'll more than likely put on more weight