PDA

View Full Version : Pitas, Pitas, Pitas!!

Patz
04-24-2005, 03:14 PM
I've become quite the fan of the delicious and healthy flatbread pita lately, and would like to share a few of my current favorite concoctions, along with one picture...

This is the way I prepare them, but, as always, feel free to experiment..

PITA w/steak

1 whole white or whole wheat pita

1 helping of ribeye steak..takes about 12oz

lettuce and tomato

greek hummus--available pre-made at wal-mart, and probably any big grocery

This is quick and easy...
Cut the steak into strips, and cook it in the skillet with some meat tenderizer seasoning (for flavor). Cut the pit in half to expose the pocket, and put it in the toaster over for a medium toast cycle. Spread the hummus against the sides of the inside of the pita halves, add the steak first, then your lettuce and tomato, and top it off with a few more dabs of hummus.

If you've never eaten hummus, it's a Greek food made from mashed chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. It goes hand in hand with pita bread, and happened to be very tasty in these couple of recipes...so much so that I ran out very quickly.

That's it!

PITA w/rotiserie chicken

This is identical to the steak recipe, except that I used leftover rotisserie chicken, and it was fantastic with the hummus. And, of course, no meat tenderizer. I just heated the chicken up in the microwave..the hummus heats up on its own against the chicken, as you're taking it from the fridge to apply it.

PITA w/scrambled eggs

1 Pita, halved and toasted (see above)

4 eggs scrambled whole

2 slices 2% american cheese

cherry tomatoes

Texas Pete Hot Sauce

Prepare the pita the same way. I scramble the eggs, making sure to hack them up into fairly small bits, so I don't have bulges i nthe pita. I added the tomatoes to the scrambled eggs at the last minute so they'd warm up, but not get mushy.

Basically, just layer in the eggs/tomatoes, then a slice of cheese, hot sauce, then the rest of your eggs and more hot sauce. The layers with cheese in the middle gives you a lot of stability, and these things are amazingly well held-together while being eaten.

Here's a pic of the pita w/eggs....enjoy!

getfit
04-24-2005, 03:16 PM
hehe! i like my pita with eggs as well with some cheese and diced tomatoes in there! mmmmmm :)

Patz
04-24-2005, 03:26 PM
texas pete is more of a southern US thing I think, but it's great if you like hot sauce...

getfit
04-24-2005, 03:28 PM
ooooo i thought maybe you'd like this one i roast some eggplant with zucchini a little feta diced tomatoe yum thought maybe you'd like to give that one a go!

Patz
04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
ooooo i thought maybe you'd like this one i roast some eggplant with zucchini a little feta diced tomatoe yum thought maybe you'd like to give that one a go!

I have a "thing" for feta cheese, being married into a Greek family. I love it, love it, love it...eggplant I'll have to lok around for.. Sounds tasty, though..

METALASIAN
04-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I make chicken fajitas with Pitas.. its goooood. Just get some Chicken, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Tomatoes and Onions and you're set.