PDA

View Full Version : plz help, lost weight but bf increased

AzBboy
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone, please help me out here. I am on a cutting diet and I just weighed myself and took my bodyfat %. All has been goin swell, but last week I was at 135 with 9% bodyfat, now this week i dropped 5 pounds yet gained to 11% bodyfat. Is this a muscle loss? Maybe a waterweight loss? I can't figure out what went wrong, I followed my diet, I eat 1513 cals (my AMR) every day, I use the simple 40%pro 40%carb 20%fat ratios, get about 20g over my bodyweight in protein each day, take flax and fishoils, eat lots of veg and healthy carbs, drink tons of water. The only difference in this last week is that I increased my calorie consumption by 100 cals because I was losing over a pound a week. Another change I had made in my diet was I eat my carbs seperate meals from my fats (high carb low as fat as possible for one meal, then the next meal high fat low as possible in carbs) and I began doing that because I read in a wannabebig nutrition article that it will burn fat easier that way. Should I stop doing that? In the week that I dropped 5 pounds, I only trained once that week, so I don't see how I lost so drastic weight yet gained 2% bodyfat. Can anyone help shed some light on what happened here? Also, my training is usually cardio 2 times a week and weights 1 to 2 times a week. Thanks a million every body.

thajeepster
04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
unless your a 5 foot tall female... 1513 is probably too little cals to cut with, i'd say your body is going into starvation mode and is holding on to every ounce of fat possible to survive. And yeah, its probably alot of muscle loss.

Unholy
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
?? Both Little jake and myself eat abotu 1500-1600 callories, and both of us are loosing BF succesfully. As long as the food you are eating isnt empty calories you should be loosing BF

AzBboy
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
holy sh*t jeepster your post makes perfect sense I didn't even think of it like that. It does explain perfectly why my bf% went up yet weight went down. Thats scary sh*t. I don't understand though, the few months I been cutting, I been losing bodyfat smoothly, on only 1406 cals, but last week is when I increased by 100 cals, and NOW my body is going into starvation mode even though I'm eating MORE? Or do you think it has been comming and it finally kicked in? Trust me, I'm like dyin' to increase cals, but I got my AMR using formulas from wannabebig articles, so if I'm undereating by any means, it's due to faulty information on the websites articles. By the way, speaking of starvation mode, is there symptoms of going into starvation mode? Because all last week (the week where the loss was taking place) I was tired and groggy and no energy even though I'd sleep 9 hours and eat every 3 hours for 6 meals. jeepster your post is so true sounding that its scary, and I can't thank you enough for bringing that to my attention.

Built
04-25-2005, 11:41 AM
The best way to tell your cutting cals is to find YOUR maintenance cals.

This is NOT a calculation, it's a measurement.

You track your maintenance food for a few days or a week on www.fitday.com

Once you have your numbers, you drop 'em by 10-15%.

Calculators are fine for ball-parking, but I wouldn't rely on one to tell ME how much MY BODY should be consuming.

Best of luck.

TheGimp
04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
I find it highly unlikely you just dropped 5 lbs of muscle. Most likely to blame is the method of measuring your bodyfat, fluctuations in water weight, and food sitting in your gut.

Like Built says I suggest you determine your maintenance calories using a better method than a generic calculator.

crcj
04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
can anyone tell me how i can get whey protein into my body without using any supplements?

Canadian Crippler
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Milk.

AzBboy
04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
ok thanks a whole lot built and the gimp. Rather than going by the formulas for finding your amr from wannabebig articles, I will attempt to decipher my amr by recording everything I eat for a week then seing what I weigh in at, and adjusting accordingly. I normally eat 1513 cals a day my ''supposed" amr according to wbb articles, so how many cals should I begin eating? It's really a shot in the dark right now I guess, so like I'm guessing like 1600-1700 to start? Also, being that I am trying to find my maintenance cal numbers, should I not exercise at all for the time being, since my goal is to find how much cals my body takes to stay the same weight on a typical day, and if I exercise, I will burn cals and make finding my amr more confusing? Thanks again everyone for helping me through this frustrating ordeal

Built
04-25-2005, 05:40 PM
My maint cals are 2300.

You'll just have to see.