PDA

View Full Version : Help finding maintenance

AzBboy
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi. In order to find my maintenance, I have decided to start off with 2,000 cals a day. Now, how often should I weigh myself? Should I weigh myself after a few days? Most say a week, but if my number is off, and visible weight changes happen in a few days, won't that save me time and I can adjust it then and there? Also, does anyone have any other tips, that may help me find my maintenance? Thank you

ReelBigFish
04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Weigh yourself after a week. Do it at the same time of day (preferably in the morning), wearing the same clothes...etc..

HILL
04-27-2005, 01:09 PM
i saved this off a similar thread it really helped me so it might be useful

have the exact formula if you want it.

1. You weight in pounds divided by 2.2

2. Your height in inches X 2.54

3. 9.6 X # from step 1

4. 1.8 X # from step 2

5. 4.7 X your age in years

6. 655 + the # from step 3 + the # from step 4 - the # from step 5 = your resting metabolic rate.

7. Multiply your RMR by your appropiate activity factor
sedentary X by 1.2
slightly active X 1.375
moderately active X 1.55
very active X 1.725

RMR X activity level = amount of calories to maintain your weight.

plus 500 calories to bulk
minus 500 calories to cut.

AzBboy
04-27-2005, 06:11 PM
thanks for the replys you two. And hill, it was a formula like that one that got me in this problem to begin with. I got it from a wannabebig nutrition article, got my ''maintenance cals,'' put 'em into play, and within a few weeks, my body was in starvation mode, burning muscle and storing fat. Thats why i'm gonna do it this other way, and if you used that formula to find your maintenance, and are working with it, be careful man.

Built
04-27-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't like formulas to tell me how much I should be eating to maintain MY weight.

Personally, I'd suggest going to www.fitday.com and tracking your food for a week.

Get a MEASUREMENT, not an estimate, and go from there.

getfit
04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Weigh yourself after a week. Do it at the same time of day (preferably in the morning), wearing the same clothes...etc..
yes morning is always best! but IMHO without clothes is better

ReelBigFish
04-27-2005, 09:17 PM
yes morning is always best! but IMHO without clothes is better

Yeah me too i was just trying to get the point across. :)

threatmix
04-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I've had a lot of problems getting my maintenance through formulas(a lot of widely varying answers). How exactly do you get it without a formula, by just weighing yourself(as I guess AzBboy was asking about)?

spanky33
04-28-2005, 09:53 AM
i dont think that formula is for resting metabolic rate. i think it's for BASAL metabolic rate. there is a difference.
resting metabolic rate includes the energy required to digest, adaptive energy expenditure, etc... it's usually BMR *1.4 or 1.5.