PDA

View Full Version : Protein/Calories

trfe
04-28-2005, 10:25 AM
What happens if I eat as much as i expend. My BMR is about 2100. So if I eat around 2000 cals a day, but i keep my protein up there about 1-1.5 of my bodyweight? Will i just get cut(i'm lifting hard of course)? If i have a lot of protein will it help to strengthen my muscles even if there aren't extra calories to make them grow?

Maybe i don't understand the correlation of protein/calories and how they relate to muscle growth/strength. Does protein make your muscles grow or do calories. Obviously calories are energy, but that's as far as i know.

Built
04-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Do you mean the cals required to keep breathing and keep your heart pumping (basal metabolic rate), or your maintenance cals (the cals you need to neither gain nor lose weight)? A lot of people get these confused.

If you eat below basal metabolic rate for extended periods of time, your body will eventually shut down.

If you eat a little below maintenance cals, you'll lose weight. If you keep your protein up and lift hard while doing it, you'll have an easier time preserving muscle.

If you have more calories going in than going out, you gain weight. If you lift hard while you do this, you will make your muscles bigger.

trfe
04-28-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm trying not to die these days... so my maintenance cals are what i mean...

Thanks Built. As usual right on the money with the answer...

danlifter
04-30-2005, 09:51 PM
High protein will preserve the muscle but you wont build any, to build muscle you have to eat more caloires then you expand which means you will gain a bit of bf in the process but nothing you cant work off later.