PDA

View Full Version : Can't lose weight

EllusiveDream
04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Heres the deal, I lift hard 5 days a week. I warmup with 10 minutes cardio and cool down with 10 minutes cardio.

Twice a week i go back to the gym in the afternoon and do 45 minutes cardio.

I don't eat fast food, drink soda, and for the most part stay away from the sweets.

I just can't lose weight!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dustin

mihorne
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
eat less

post your diet and im sure peeople will be more than willing to give you pointers

Built
04-29-2005, 12:31 PM
It's your diet.

Post it up.

And before you do, go to www.fitday.com and enter a few days' worth of food to get your cals, grams of protein, carb, fat.

Dedicated
04-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Yea use fitday. It always works when you count calories, you will lose weight. The thing is the weight comes off everywhere so it takes a while.

EllusiveDream
04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
I know my body fat is dropping because the vascularity is going up. I have veins popping everywhere.

I will give fitday a try.

Big Bas
04-29-2005, 01:04 PM
losing weight is not necessarily a good thing... muscle weighs 2.5x as much as fat... so, if you are losing body fat, but u are not dropping weight, im not sure what the problem is

PowerManDL
04-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I know my body fat is dropping because the vascularity is going up. I have veins popping everywhere.

Then what's the problem?

Holto
04-29-2005, 03:06 PM
losing weight is not necessarily a good thing... muscle weighs 2.5x as much as fat...

erh ??

muscle is 20% more dense than fat

abwowang
04-30-2005, 04:15 PM
what is ur goal then?.. if ur becoming more vascular (looking more ripped) losing weight isnt really an issue..

i've gained about 5 months in the past month and lookin more cut than ever.. liftin more than ever..

but anyways.. caloric deficit is key to losing weight.. if u dont think ur losin weight.. take out some calories..

Will.S
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah, cut some calories out. remember its the mirror, not the measurement. As Dorian Yates once said 'THE MIRROR IS YOUR SCALE' - a handy motto if there ever was one.

darius19
04-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah, cut some calories out. remember its the mirror, not the measurement. As Dorian Yates once said 'THE MIRROR IS YOUR SCALE' - a handy motto if there ever was one.

Im sure a lot of people have said that :P
Sorry I just had to include this smartass comment.

danlifter
04-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Well if your not eating enough you are not going to lose weight, to lose weight you have still eat so many calories so you maintain your body functions. Post your diet on here so we can help you. Split you meals into 5-6 threw out the day.

danlifter
05-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Well how many calories are you eating in a day, we have to know so we can tell you what the problem is.

EllusiveDream
05-03-2005, 05:41 PM
sorry ive been out of town for a couple of days.

I average about 2643 calories a day. that is an average it varies a little each day.

I eat a lot of chicken, rice, fruits, whole grain cereal and bread. That is the good side of it here is the bad.

I am not going to lie i eat a lot of sweets, frozen pizza, pork, and chips and salsa. I have cut down on this stuff but it's a process.

I drink no soda, take in no caffeine, and i don't eat fast food.

Thanks
Dustin

Shao-LiN
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
So, you're dropping bodyfat, but you're going nuts because your weight isn't going down. Is there a reason why you don't want to gain muscle and lose fat at once?

EllusiveDream
05-03-2005, 08:35 PM
i would like to get down to 185 and be pretty ripped. I guess if i don't drop weight i could just be a ripped 200 :smile:

I was just wondering if there is a good way to cut some weight and maintain my strength gains.

Thanks
Dustin

Shao-LiN
05-03-2005, 08:47 PM
So, you're more concerned about dropping weight than dropping fat then?

no regrets
05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Most people would kill to have the "problem" you're having.

waynis
05-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I have the same problem.. I'am on cut but don't seem to be dropping weight. But I do notice I'am trimming out a bit.. so I guess i'am losing just BF.. :) It's a good thing.

dagr8n8
05-06-2005, 12:40 AM
simple anwser...run.. run as hard as you can for 20 min everyday, when you are running think "the harder i run hte more fat i burn off" and run til lyo ucnat run till you cant feal your body...(dont have a hart atact thoe lol) but thats how i lsot 50 lbs and dint change my diet at all and now i eat a ****laod more than i used to and im 6 2 160 = or - 2lb's soooo thats all you gata do.

Built
05-06-2005, 12:42 AM
OMFG!

The 20-minute-a-day, eat all you want heart attack plan!

Glad it worked for you, bud.

How old are you?

Paul Stagg
05-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I think he's trolling. Pay no mind.

EllusiveDream
05-06-2005, 03:52 PM
The reason i would like to lose weight is that i am entering a powerlifting meet and i feel that i would not look like such an idiot for entering a lower class.

@ 208lbs i would pretty much the laughing stock of the weight class.

I am going to compete no matter what, i just didn't want to be humiliated so bad :)

Thanks
Dustin

waynis
05-07-2005, 04:06 PM
simple anwser...run.. run as hard as you can for 20 min everyday, when you are running think "the harder i run hte more fat i burn off" and run til lyo ucnat run till you cant feal your body...(dont have a hart atact thoe lol) but thats how i lsot 50 lbs and dint change my diet at all and now i eat a ****laod more than i used to and im 6 2 160 = or - 2lb's soooo thats all you gata do.

IT's VERY important to monitor your HR. You can run.. run.. but make sure your not running very close to your max HR for too long. Don't wanna find yourself waking up in the hospital.

ryuage
05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
uhm ok

eric1214
05-19-2005, 12:44 AM
you say to measure your heart rate.
what % should ones heart rate be at, and for how long??
what if your doing hiit??
im 5'9 160lb trying to lose some much hated fat right now

Max-Mex
05-19-2005, 04:09 AM
I find it hard to believe that at almost 6 feet tall, 160, you have any fat on you.

waynis
05-19-2005, 03:10 PM
you say to measure your heart rate.
what % should ones heart rate be at, and for how long??
what if your doing hiit??
im 5'9 160lb trying to lose some much hated fat right now

Get me your resting HR. First thing in the morning. Count up to 30 seconds. Get the Heart beat count and multiply it by 2. Then i'll tell you what percentages will benifet you. Usually 50-70% is recommended of your heart rate reserve. You don't wanna be above 80% for too long.

If your doing Hitt your Hr will probably shoot up soon so don't go too high of intensity if your just starting up. Also you probably won't have to do it for long. It's important to monitor your HR not only to get results but also to know that your not over doing it.

carlossalsa8
05-19-2005, 04:07 PM

I agree with you. I think that if a guy/lady is trying to lose weight ( get in shape) he/she has to work harder. That's why many soccer players, or runners can't get that much fat even if they want to. They train everyday, run, weight lift ( some ) and some of them eat better. To be honest with you, I don't have a clean diet. I eat pretty clean most of the time, but I exercise too much, so my body needs more food ( My body likes more fatty food than clean, but I try to give it both.) I haven't gained weight for a long time. Again, I run everyday till I can't anymore. I don't have that weight problem yet. I just wanted to add my thought.

Built
05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I disagree.

I ran 10k 3x a week for almost 10 years, and I got fatter and fatter every year doing it.

It wasn't until I got my diet under control that I got my weight under control.

Ever see fat women in aerobics classes and on treadmills, day after day? How about a middle-aged man out jogging with a gut and skinny legs?

You can't exercise off a sh!tty diet. Trust me. I've tried.

I hardly do any cardio now in comparison to what I was doing. Lifting changes the shape and composition of your body. Diet gets the fat off. Cardio lets you eat a little bit more while that's happening.

carlossalsa8
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
I disagree.

I ran 10k 3x a week for almost 10 years, and I got fatter and fatter every year doing it.

It wasn't until I got my diet under control that I got my weight under control.

Ever see fat women in aerobics classes and on treadmills, day after day? How about a middle-aged man out jogging with a gut and skinny legs?

You can't exercise off a sh!tty diet. Trust me. I've tried.

I hardly do any cardio now in comparison to what I was doing. Lifting changes the shape and composition of your body. Diet gets the fat off. Cardio lets you eat a little bit more while that's happening.

I agree with you with the diet. Diet takes most of the results. But I think that it all depends on the person's metabolism ( based on my friend's experience and my own). You are saying dat you used to run 10k 3x a week ( Which is a descent running) and got fatter every year you were doing it. Could it be cuz you where overeating, or could it be cuz of ur metabolism? It could be both. I overeat, but again I know i am gonna be using all dat energy at soccer practice, and I have a high-high-metabolism. I don't diet and don't count calories. As I said before, I haven't gained a pound. All I am saying is dat by running, bycicling or doing any other kind of sports, will be a good idea to start in order to get in shape ( of course giving all u have, 100%). And with a clean diet will work better of course. This is my opinion.

Built
05-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Lots of people are able to exercise off extra weight when they are young. This is particularly true of young men.

I gained weight because my particular combination of diet and exercise (low fat + cardio) stimulated too much hunger (hence overeating) and all that running (with no lifting) catabolized my muscle mass, slowing down my metabolic rate. I ended up on type II diabetes medication in my late thirties, and very overweight.

I turned it around by fixing my diet, quitting running and taking up weight lifting.

But the solution wasn't obvious.

And I could not have achieved success without changing and carefully monitoring my diet.

Trust me - I love to eat. If I could have avoided this step, I would have. And I tried.

carlossalsa8
05-20-2005, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=Built]
I gained weight because my particular combination of diet and exercise (low fat + cardio) stimulated too much hunger (hence overeating) and all that running (with no lifting) catabolized my muscle mass, slowing down my metabolic rate. I ended up on type II diabetes medication in my late thirties, and very overweight. [QUOTE=Built]

This is new to me. Can you give me some more details about what happened to you. Cuz before, I was running 12 miles 5 days a week , and did not eat enough fat. I had a low-low bf %. I started to get sick more often ( stomach pains, fatigue, head ache, lazyness, flu). I stopped running for a while and ate more fat. I am fine now. It took me a while to get better, but I am just wondering what caused all these. Maybe the low fat intake, or all the running I did? I am still running but less. I also have soccer practice which is a strong program. Any comment.

Built
05-20-2005, 12:37 AM
The fat thing is weird. So is cardio.

Some folks do really, really well on low fat diets, and some folks do well on sh!tloads of cardio.

I got fat and sick on low fat with lots of cardio.

My diet NOW is usually somewhere between 35% and 55% cals from fat, and has been even HIGHER fat in the past, when I was first losing weight and still quite heavy. I seem to be okay on somewhat lower fats now than I was then, but I doubt I'll ever eat a truly low fat diet again. It didn't agree with me. I'm IR, and I have a lot of trouble with hunger (and hence, fat gain) on higher carbs and lower fats.

Now, the running thing - I got every damned cold and flu when I used to run all the time.

Now that I've stopped running, I haven't had a cold in the roughly 4 years it's been since I quit/switched to lifting and changed my diet to higher fats and proteins.

Might just be a coincidence, but I feel better, so I'll stick with it.

Dunno about your case.

There's nothing remarkable or important about the ratios for fat, protein, carb. The trick seems to be in defining "balance". Lots of people will tell you what a balanced diet is based on ratios.

The flaw in this approach, IMHO, is that it looks at inputs, but not outcomes.

I define a balanced diet on the basis of the outcome.

If your diet is working for you - if you're healthy, weight does what you want it to do, you're comfortable and well nourished, then it's balanced, FOR YOU. If not, I don't care what genius came up with your diet - for you, it ain't balanced, no matter WHAT "healthy diet" you're eating.

My .02

eric1214
05-20-2005, 02:42 PM
i have around 30-33 heart beats per 30 seconds.

im 5'9ish 160ish. it may not seem like a lot of weight, but i have fat on my chest, thighs, and torso that ive had for as long as i can remember and one of my main priorities right now is to DESTROY IT ALL and get leaner. my goals in the future is to get up to 175, but for now i want to cut that fat!

i'm designing a diet plan at the moment, but its been hard for me to figure out what to eat for some meals and how to replace carbs with fats and proteins

M1: 1 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop whey
M2: 5 eggs/1 yolk, 1 piece ww bread
M3: romaine salad with 2tbspolive oil + vinegar
M4: protein shake with dextrose
M5: chicken + 1cup brown rice and brocolli
M6: 1 cup cottage cheese + 2 tbs natty pb

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp

this is around 2200 calories, when i need ~1900
40/30/30 ratio at the moment. any thoughts on what carbs i should take out and what should i replace with for more fats?

thanks for all the help!

WBBIRL
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
There is no way possible to lose fat and not lose weight. You cannot gain that much muscle mass that fast, its not godly possible. Say we take person X and do an evaluation. This person weighs 225lbs and has a body fat percentage of about 20%, and is 5 ft 8 inches tall. Now if you make the person do a moderate ammount of exercise, say the ammount Ellusive did... then they should be loseing at least 2-3 lbs per week and there is no way you can maintain a 2-3 lb per week increase in lean muscle mass. This assumes that the person maintains a reasonable diet of anywhere from 2000-3000 calories per day and that his macronutrients are fairly in check. Most fitness buffs would agree that a 10lb increase in lean body mass over the span of 1 year would be outstanding.

Built
05-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Really? It's only 10 lbs for a man?

I would have thought it would be more.

Hmmm...

WBBIRL, I'm not certain it's impossible, but you may have to settle for an EXTREMELY SLOW rate of fat loss to make it happen.

eric1214
05-20-2005, 04:02 PM
im not really sure who you are addressing, but i want to cut first, then build lean muscle mass.

Built
05-20-2005, 08:27 PM
im not really sure who you are addressing, but i want to cut first, then build lean muscle mass.

Join the club.

:D

WBBIRL
05-21-2005, 10:21 AM
10lbs of pure lean muscle mass is alot to gain in one year, unless you have genetics of the gods.

eric1214
05-21-2005, 03:00 PM
im around 70 heart beats per minute. which is about normal if im remembering correctly.
so where should i keep my heart rate at?
man i needa heart rate monitor or something...

WBBIRL
05-22-2005, 09:00 AM
mine averages 56-60 throught the day, that is when im not active. highest ive ever gotten it is 215 beats per min during football camp, my body started physcially failing that day though.. with a blood pressure that went to 225/195.

Generally your heart rate should be from 50-60 bpm when not active, the lower it is the stronger your heart is. My goal is to get mine down to about 48-50 when not active.