PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it??

WBBIRL
04-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I am convinced I will lose weight so I started implementing cardio into my normal weight training. But the thing is my stamina is so freaking horrible... its very very very very very bad, I mean I can only run at 4 m.p.h on the tread mill for 3 to 5 min max if i really really push myself. So I just do 2 miles at 3 mph and I started doing situps and pushups but I find i cant breath when I do situps because of my gut... so I can only do like 10 at a time. Decline situps are worse and I can only do 10 at a time... So i only end up doing like 3 sets of 10 of each. Is this even worth it??? On every other day I do 6-8 sets of 10 pushups.

getfit
04-29-2005, 01:53 PM
well how's your diet like?

Holto
04-29-2005, 03:04 PM
weight loss diet alone = weight loss

cardio alone = stronger heart and lungs

weight loss diet & cardio = steady weight loss

thats the general recommendation anyway...I lost 83lbs while I was not medically allowed to train at all

diet is key, calorie is king

WBBIRL
04-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Well im slowly but surely weaning out all the bad things in my diet. Ive totaly cut out soda, tea, and any kinds of candies and cakes and things of that nature. No potato chips or any kinds of snack foods. Im also trying to watch the ammount and type of carbohydrates im takeing in. But im noticeing that everything I eat is loaded with fat... like just now i made 4 eggs for breakfast and each had 4.5 grams of fat and only 6 grams of protein. I think thats way to much fat in one sitting. There were like 70 calories per egg and 40 were from fat.

I think im going to need to alter my diet alot for this weight loss to kick in, basically the only ways I can think of to keep eating healthy and avoid so much fats but keep the good stuff is to eat alot of lean meats and alot of fruits (I really dont like to many vegtables) So chicken breasts and cantalope will become a major staple in my diet.

Any food suggestions??? Like foods that have good nutritional value and taste atleast half decent.

EDIT: Plus can anyone suggest a calorie zone that I should be between, keeping in mind that I workout with weights at the gym every week day and that I do pushups situps and run 2 miles every other day.

Gutz981
04-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Cantalope is good stuff...anyway...Your on the right track I think...Before you go to eat something...You gotta ask urself "Does it taste good and is it sweet?" If the answer happens to be yes...You mostly dont want to eat it...Drop chips pop and sugar bull**** and ur well on ur way...

Unholy
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Dude the weight will come off quick If you eat healthy and excersize, Your stamina will build up quickly as your heart and lungs get used to the excersize, There are butloads of foods out there that are healthy, for example instead of eating whole eggs have 2 extra white for every whole egg you have. Drink 99% fat free or fat free milk. Try to space your meals out so you dont get hungry.

Foods like Beef jerkey, cottage cheese, chicken, Learn to eat salads with fat free dressings. Theres tons of stuff out there that tastes great and is pretty darn healthy, just go to the supermarket and start reading labels. I would avoid too much fruit since its high in sugar.

Also If you can stay around 2000 calories a day try it out for a week or two and see how the scale moves.

Im not saying Im in the same boat as you but im in a similar one. Ive been fat my whole entire life and now its time to get rid of 50 pounds of fat, Im tired of looking like crap.

If you stick to this you will loose a ton of weight and more importantly feel much better and live healthier. Just dont do what so many have done before and failed.......give up.

Good luck meeting your goals bro.

Progress
04-30-2005, 10:58 AM
When you eat eggs, most of the fat and cholesteral and a lot of protein for that matter, comes from the yolks. If you eat 4-6 eggs, you should only be eating 1-2 yolks at most. Hard boil them and throw away the yellow.

Shao-LiN
04-30-2005, 11:55 AM
If doing cardio isn't something you've normally done, then your stamina won't be that high. Same idea for weight lifting. You start off with what you can do, then build up.

WBBIRL
04-30-2005, 11:59 AM
When you eat eggs, most of the fat and cholesteral and a lot of protein for that matter, comes from the yolks. If you eat 4-6 eggs, you should only be eating 1-2 yolks at most. Hard boil them and throw away the yellow.

Well then Ill pretty much want to abandon eggs... the protein is mostly what im after and if the egg yolks have both the fat and cholesteral in with the protein then ill just have to do away with the eggs. This seems like its going to be really rough, at least at first. Im goana try makeing it on a 2000 cal diet for the first week or two.

Unholy
04-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Thats the key here, find foods that a low calorie but filling, There are tons. Chicken Breast, Cottage cheese, vegetables. Also you need fats in your diet. If you follow the rule of thumb and do 3 whites for every yok you will get plenty of protein and wont really miss out on the taste. If you pick the right foods you can never go hungry on 2000 calories.

Shao-LiN
04-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Pretty much all of the fat and cholesterol is in the yolk. Half of the protein is in the yolk, the other half in the white. Eating yolks is perfectly fine if it fits into your caloric needs. Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on your body's cholesterol levels. And fat is good for you.

fat2fit
07-15-2005, 01:03 PM
cardio is definatly worth it, ESPECIALLY if your stamina is bad. You wont believe how much difference improved stamina makes to just general everday life (climbing stairs, running for a bus, running from the police etc.). And if your unfit you'll find you improve quickly and start to notice the difference in no time.

Unholy
07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah gotta be able to give the cops a run for their money ;)

YungLifter
07-15-2005, 01:22 PM
isnt each egg white lik 5 or 6g of protein? I did a search on it and a large chicken egg white has 6g of protein.

Unholy
07-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Yes, try eggbeaters, they are a great product.

YungLifter
07-15-2005, 01:28 PM
to expensive one carton of that stuff is like 4bucks or something I rather get 6 dozen eggs and just boil them hehe.

bigsethmeister
07-15-2005, 01:30 PM
WRT to cardio - if you can't run then walk, bicycle, or use an elliptical machine.

WRT to calories - do a fitday entrry and see what you are actually averaging for calories each day. Then work on getting 300 - 500 calories less than that.

Built
07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
weight loss diet alone = weight loss

cardio alone = stronger heart and lungs

weight loss diet & cardio = steady weight loss

thats the general recommendation anyway...I lost 83lbs while I was not medically allowed to train at all

diet is key, calorie is king

Diet alone: weight loss, for a while. Too much of it will be muscle. End result: slower metabolism, soft flabby body that requires fewer calories than before.
Cardio alone: if your diet stays the same, weight loss, for a while. Too much of it will be muscle. Stronger heart and lungs. End result: slower metabolism, soft flabby body that requires fewer calories than before.

Diet and cardio: faster weight loss, for a while. Too much of it will be muscle. End result: slower metabolism, soft flabby body that requires fewer calories than before.

Diet, heavy lifting: fat loss, no/very little muscle loss.
Diet, heavy lifitng, moderate amount of cardio: fat loss, no/very little muscle loss, cardiovascular health, and you won't have to diet so hard.

YungLifter
07-15-2005, 01:35 PM
I pick the last option. Not now thought im bulking :strong:

P-Free
07-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I am convinced I will lose weight so I started implementing cardio into my normal weight training. But the thing is my stamina is so freaking horrible... its very very very very very bad, I mean I can only run at 4 m.p.h on the tread mill for 3 to 5 min max if i really really push myself. So I just do 2 miles at 3 mph and I started doing situps and pushups but I find i cant breath when I do situps because of my gut... so I can only do like 10 at a time. Decline situps are worse and I can only do 10 at a time... So i only end up doing like 3 sets of 10 of each. Is this even worth it??? On every other day I do 6-8 sets of 10 pushups.

To the original poster of this thread,

Never quit and never let the bastard grind you down. In April of 2004 I could hardly run a half a mile without stopping, my knees ached, and my chest hurt. Today I run 4-5 miles every night. Just keep going when the pain sets in, that is the only way to overcome it. Just add small increments whenever you feel ready. You will improve if you are committed to improvement. Running is 10% physical and 90% mental. Just shut out the mental messages. When you feel the pain setting in, you are only about 20% of your maximum, you can run along ways after so just keep going.

If you reach your bodys maximum you will pass out and roll off the back of the treadmill :evillaugh

End of messsage.

Rygel
07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Man , im purty much in the same boat as you- what i've been learning is to just not give up. I have lost around 30lbs now. I mess up all the time! So i just start back the next day. What i found (for me) so far is if i stay really strict i dont lose any weight. But if i have a higher cal day then 2 or 3 strict days i seem to atleast lose. I do think i was eating way to less for my daily needs though. If all you can do is 10 sit ups DO THEM! then do 11 tomorrow, then maybe 11 the next maybe 12 in 3 or 4 days. So long as you do them......just please dont think that sit ups make you skinny. I havent added any cardio "yet" and am losing or staying around my same weight... The reason i say "staying around"the same is that my arms,shoulders, legs and back are actually starting to get alot bigger---I think im gonna have some sick tri's one day! so i really dont feel to bad if the scale stays the same for a week!!! My wife laughs at me cause i flex in every mirror i see now! And i am starting to see some viens in my forearms now! so see all you have to do is JUST DO SOMETHING! as long as you try and then try it again you will be able to DO it , just not over night! hope this helps alittle.

Sc00t
07-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Seriously, if you want to lose weight you have to stop eating saturated fat, don't cut out tea, that's not the problem. A smear of butter on your sandwiches rather than a slight layer or light margarine is what keeps your weight on. Chocolate bars, bags of crisps (chips, if you're American) all that rubbish.

Stick with the cardio. As a runner I know that cardiovascular excersize definatley keeps weight off me (thats why i've cut all cardio apart from the occassional jog when I just can't resist) so for someone with excessive fat percentages I'm sure it would just drop off, if you cut out the saturated fats and basically just the ****ty stuff that you're eating. Drink diet soda, tea won't make you fat in fact I was always under the impression that tea helped keep weight off? (May be wrong there)

I have a few questions for those that are overweight here;
1.) What are your cholestorol levels?
2.) Do you find yourself eating when you are bored, but not neccassarily hungry?

...Just two random questions.

P-Free
07-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Your diet doesn't really have much to do with your stamina. Jogging will make your heart stronger, and speed up your weightloss but you can get the same weightloss without cardio, it will just take longer.

If running isn't working for you, try something else, walking, cycling, swimming. Swimming is one of the best cardio workouts, you don't sweat and it is a full body workout as well.

Built
07-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Seriously, if you want to lose weight you have to stop eating saturated fat, don't cut out tea, that's not the problem. A smear of butter on your sandwiches rather than a slight layer or light margarine is what keeps your weight on.
Is this some sort of joke?

Margarine is made with hydrogenated fat. Butter is natural saturated animal fat, and a small amount of it can be beneficial to your endocrine system (monounsaturated and saturated fat support testosterone production).

Saturated fat is HARDLY what is responsible for overweight. I eat a tablespoon of butter a day while I'm CUTTING.

Chocolate bars, bags of crisps (chips, if you're American) all that rubbish.

Stick with the cardio. As a runner I know that cardiovascular excersize definatley keeps weight off me
You can't cardio off a sh!tty diet. Trust me. I've tried.

(thats why i've cut all cardio apart from the occassional jog when I just can't resist) so for someone with excessive fat percentages I'm sure it would just drop off, if you cut out the saturated fats and basically just the ****ty stuff that you're eating. Drink diet soda, tea won't make you fat in fact I was always under the impression that tea helped keep weight off? (May be wrong there)

2.) Do you find yourself eating when you are bored, but not neccassarily hungry?

I used to be quite fat, so I'll answer these questions.

1) My cholesterol levels were high when I ran and ate my lowfat diet. I no longer run, and I no longer eat a lowfat diet. My cholesterol has dropped from 6.0 to 3.5

2) I never ate out of bordom. Just hunger.

Shao-LiN
07-16-2005, 01:30 AM
I eat cus I love food. Damn those italians and their pizza.

Rygel
07-16-2005, 07:19 AM

1.) chol lvl's were high before i started dieting, I really have no idea what they are now. I've got to the point where i have no health insurance and am trying to diet to curb the higher lvl's while i'm unable to get the meds i need. So i do figure I'll be dead before I'm 50.

2.) I cant say i eat while bored. I eat if I'm like on the computer playing a game or watching tv. This is my weak point. I can diet perfect all day at work and when active but if i sit to long my body just gets up and grabs somthing. Is one of the things I'm going to work on this cycle! I'm gonna break out the ducttape and tape myself to the chair!