PDA

View Full Version : Spelt Bread

waynis
04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Anyone on here eat spelt? I'am pretty positive i'am allergic to wheat gluten and spelt might be the best alternative bread for me. It's also suppost to carry higher amino acids then wheat. Any eaters here?

getfit
04-30-2005, 02:04 PM
i've had spelt bagels before bought them in a natural food store pretty good

thajeepster
04-30-2005, 02:13 PM
spelt is actually better for you, lower gi, and a complete protein.. that is if you get sprouted spelt bread... try food for life its called ezekiel bread... good stuff :D

www.foodforlife.com

neartaigh
04-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I <3 spelt. I have a wheat allergy as well, and have found that spelt doesn`t bring it on. You should note that spelt is a type of wheat product however, so if you have a wheat allergy, spelt may not work for you. Also, spelt also has gluten, so you wont be free of that either.

Give it a shot though. I think spelt is yum. I actually used to make my own bread with spelt flour. Spelt also makes lovely blueberry muffins. :)

getfit
04-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I <3 spelt. I have a wheat allergy as well, and have found that spelt doesn`t bring it on. You should note that spelt is a type of wheat product however, so if you have a wheat allergy, spelt may not work for you. Also, spelt also has gluten, so you wont be free of that either.

Give it a shot though. I think spelt is yum. I actually used to make my own bread with spelt flour. Spelt also makes lovely blueberry muffins. :)
neartaigh do you have your recipe for blueberry muffins would like to try that? :)

Holto
04-30-2005, 04:47 PM
love it...

neartaigh
04-30-2005, 05:20 PM
neartaigh do you have your recipe for blueberry muffins would like to try that? :)

Hey GF-- I`ll dig it up. I think I just used your standard blueberry muffin recipe, and replaced the regular flour with spelt flour. I`ll post it later though.

Spelt flour is entirely interchangeable with regular flour, FYI. No wierd effects or anything-- and it isn`t quite as heavy as oat flour.

getfit
04-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey GF-- I`ll dig it up. I think I just used your standard blueberry muffin recipe, and replaced the regular flour with spelt flour. I`ll post it later though.

Spelt flour is entirely interchangeable with regular flour, FYI. No wierd effects or anything-- and it isn`t quite as heavy as oat flour.
ok thanks hun whenever you can :)

waynis
05-01-2005, 10:08 AM
yeah.. i'am going to buy a loaf this week. I was also eating oatmeal every morning for over a year but even days I don't eat wheat I still experience some allergies. Then I was just reading a article the other day saying OATS have gluten. DAMN!! That's probably what was causing some of my allergies the whole time. I didn't know Oats had gluten. It must be it's own form of gluten. I'am hoping the gluten in spelt will be much more tolerable.