PDA

View Full Version : New to competition... what to expect

hoser813
04-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I have been lifting reguarly for a couple years now, and Im entering a small regional competition soon. Its a $30 buy in and I think its scored by weight lifted/body weight sort of thing. Now Ive never done anything like this before, so can you guys give me some advice on how to prep, what kind of lifts to expect, and how to lift the most, and any other important information so I can take the pot.

Organichu
04-30-2005, 04:33 PM
What's your weight? Which lifts will be included? All of the big three? What's the age group?

hoser813
04-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Im 150 right now, and I dont know what lifts are being done. What are normally done? Im such a noob to this I have no idea what Im doing. Ages are really 18 and up. Anyone's invited to lift in it, but I think since Im in a lower class, I should be able to do respectively. What are the big three lifts?

Future Marine
04-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Big 3 are bench, squat, and deadlift. You should go I just came back from my first competion and had a good time. How much can you lift?

hoser813
04-30-2005, 05:44 PM
now sometimes could they sub cleans for deadlifts in a competition?

I havent maxed in a long time, but just guessing Ill say bench 225+, squat around 250, and Ive never actually done deadlifts.... looks like Ill have to get busy working on those.

Future Marine
04-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Yea sometimes they'll sub cleans for deadlifts, they did in mine atleast.

hoser813
04-30-2005, 05:52 PM
i read somewhere that to be competitive in most cases that you need to be able to do 1.5x body weight for bench, and 2x bw for squat and deadlift. Is this pretty much right?

So for me, id need to be able to do 225 bench, and 300 for squat and dl.

Future Marine
04-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Yea thats sounds about right, but don't stop there try and go higher if you can. You should win at 240-250 bench, squat 365-400, cleans 225+, deadlift 365-405, if you can get in that range you have high chances of placing 1st depending on the age you compete in. When do you compete?

hoser813
04-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Ive no idea. I heard of plans to have one some time soon yesterday, and now Im trying to get ready for when ever it is. What should I be doing to get ready to do the most I can do, besides working out constantly? Also, whats all this business I hear about bench shirts and deadlift suits?

Future Marine
05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
The shirts and suits aren't manditory some people will use them to help them get higher maxes, but some competions don't allow them because of that, like in mine.

hoser813
05-01-2005, 01:53 PM
how do they help you lift more?

Future Marine
05-01-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not to knowlegded in how they work, don't use them, but I think its the type of material that they're made of. Its a really stiff material so when you change its shape it wants to go back to normal so when you go down on bench press its kind of forcing the shirt to change but going up makes it go back to the orginal shape. Not sure if that made sense or if that is even right.

hoser813
05-01-2005, 02:26 PM
oh, like the bench shirt sort of pushes on your back to help you get the weight up? gottcha.

JAROD
05-01-2005, 06:09 PM
from what i know the shirt's sleaves point upwards and as you push them down with the weight they want to spring up so when you start to push it kinda springs the weight off your chest iv heard they give you around 50lbs more on to your bench same with all the other suits and stuff but im not for sure..and you should start doing deadlift's it would be pretty bad id say to go in to the meet with out have done them before would be bad becuse you want to find which way you want your hands and if you want you legs far apart or not stuff like that and you want to find all your openers wich make sure you can do them!! i made the mistake of haveing a very high squat opener wich screwed everthing up..so make sure on your squat you can go down very very veyr low!!!! becuse you never know how low the will make you go the last meet i was in we had to go below Parrell but the weight class beside us didnt even go Parrell..so make sure you can squat get some deadlifts in and some bench.

Paul Stagg
05-02-2005, 06:58 AM
I have been lifting reguarly for a couple years now, and Im entering a small regional competition soon. Its a $30 buy in and I think its scored by weight lifted/body weight sort of thing. Now Ive never done anything like this before, so can you guys give me some advice on how to prep, what kind of lifts to expect, and how to lift the most, and any other important information so I can take the pot.

The pot? Who is running the meet?

If you are really interested in powerlifting, I would find a sanctioned meet and do it.

What to expect? You'll be nervous, things won't go as planned, you'll be rushed or delayed, hungry.. and you'll have a great time.

As you get closer to the meet, ask more specific questions.

Gutz981
05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah I hear you will get nervous and little shaky...I've never done any competitions so I am jealous...but I hear there are someways to calm down...its always better to calm yourself down...Even if you lift pissed...calm down...then listen to ur tunes and forget everybody...think of an Ex girlfriend you hate...or her b/f that when you knocked out you got phrobation (not that I did that :rolleyes: ) and remeber to breathe man...and it sounds like cash is involved that more motivation right there man...PUSH IT OUT!!