PDA

View Full Version : Fasting : Will it have negative impact ?

wshen
05-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I fast once a week. By fasting, I mean I just drink lotsa of water the whole day, no solid food whatesoever. I didn't drink fruit juice too, I know it's good to take juice, but I want to be just relying on pure H20. 'cos I heard fasting is good for your body as it detoxify and also maintain that youthful look. I workout twice a week in the gym and jog once every week. Each time when I managed to fast 24 hours without food, the next day, I'll consumed healthy food like potatoe, eggs, snacks, bread before working out. My whole body felt great after the fasting affect. My question is shall I resume fasting once every week and if so, do you guys had any better way of doing it? Is it better to fast once or twice per week?

The only problem I had with fasting is after fasting for 10 hrs or so, my body starts craving for food and I had to try extremely hard to resist it and remind myself of my objective and benefits of fasting. So I went to bed early , not that I can sleep early, but I just want the hours to pass (24 hrs, to be exact, only then it's considerl fasting, anthing less is skipping meal). Anyone had similar problem like mine? Will it affect my health, bodybuilding and my active lifestyle?

Also, is tuna can really good for health? What other food is considered healthy besides eggwhite, potatoe, nuts, oatmeal brread ? I only take chicken meat twice a week as I do not particularly love meat in my diet. But I know I had to eat some white meat to get protein. I also eat nuts. I know before working out I must drink lotsa water and also eat 4 hrs before doing some workout. I also drink 1 to 2 bottles of 100 plus. I'm trying to stay fit and also maintain my muscle. I'm also trying to look more energetic daytime, in the office. All this with less than 5 hrs of sleep a day before I had to get to the office the next morning. I almost always sleep late 'cos I can't sleep early. But's I'm aready used to it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

PizDoff
05-01-2005, 01:09 AM
You should drink water before working out, but too much will have a detrimental effect.

Fasting is foolish, you could rather be filling your body with beneficial foods.
Keep exercising and feeding your body so it can maintain its systems.
Fasting actually increases aging due to the generation of anti-oxidents which break down the body.

Sorry for lack of detail, need sleep.

I make some diet recommendations here:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=54064

DNL
05-01-2005, 01:17 AM
take a shot of clorox bleach.. that'll detox your body with the quickness hehehe

(disclaimer: not recommended for the sanes)

body
05-01-2005, 06:27 AM
i would be asking the question.

what true benefits are out there of fasting?

getfit
05-01-2005, 06:36 AM
i would be asking the question.

what true benefits are out there of fasting?
some people claim they fast to detox their bodies dunno!!

i tried it once i couldn't last more then a day! just to see if i can actually not eat! impossible for me that is!

tholian8
05-01-2005, 06:57 AM
The body detoxes itself over time, if you give it healthy foods and plenty of water. IMO the only reason to do a total fast or a water-only fast would be for religious purposes, not for health.

Dedicated
05-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Fasting does have very good effects BUT the negative effects outweigh the positive ones. In other words, if you are lifting weights and trying to get in shape, whether it be a cut or a bulk, fasting is probably not a good idea.

Gutz981
05-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Even for relious purposes...I still say...You gotta Bitch smack ur god in the face and be like "Yeah I'm a lifter deal bitch!"

Rolf Eder
05-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Even for relious purposes...I still say...You gotta Bitch smack ur god in the face and be like "Yeah I'm a lifter deal bitch!"
LOL

getfit
05-01-2005, 09:27 AM
lol! well try to explain that to the millions of muslims during ramadan

wrestlemaniac
05-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Detoxify your body with fruit.

are you honestly asking if starving yourself will have negitive effects (and on a website called WANT TO BE BIG)?

Bruise Brubaker
05-01-2005, 10:26 AM
You could have a day when you only eat veggies and fruits instead. Green veggies like broccoli contains a lot of good things for you and contains almost no calories.

body
05-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Detoxify your body with fruit.

are you honestly asking if starving yourself will have negitive effects (and on a website called WANT TO BE BIG)?

fruit is full of toxins.

Paul Stagg
05-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I fast once a week. By fasting, I mean I just drink lotsa of water the whole day, no solid food whatesoever. I didn't drink fruit juice too, I know it's good to take juice, but I want to be just relying on pure H20. 'cos I heard fasting is good for your body as it detoxify and also maintain that youthful look.

This is false.

I workout twice a week in the gym and jog once every week. Each time when I managed to fast 24 hours without food, the next day, I'll consumed healthy food like potatoe, eggs, snacks, bread before working out. My whole body felt great after the fasting affect. My question is shall I resume fasting once every week and if so, do you guys had any better way of doing it? Is it better to fast once or twice per week?
It is better to eat a healthy diet and ensure you get all of the necessary nutrition. Your body 'detoxifies' itself just fine - your liver and kidneys are there for a reason.

The only problem I had with fasting is after fasting for 10 hrs or so, my body starts craving for food and I had to try extremely hard to resist it and remind myself of my objective and benefits of fasting. So I went to bed early , not that I can sleep early, but I just want the hours to pass (24 hrs, to be exact, only then it's considerl fasting, anthing less is skipping meal). Anyone had similar problem like mine? Will it affect my health, bodybuilding and my active lifestyle?
Fasting is more unhealthy than healthy, IMO

Also, is tuna can really good for health? What other food is considered healthy besides eggwhite, potatoe, nuts, oatmeal brread ? I only take chicken meat twice a week as I do not particularly love meat in my diet. But I know I had to eat some white meat to get protein. I also eat nuts. I know before working out I must drink lotsa water and also eat 4 hrs before doing some workout. I also drink 1 to 2 bottles of 100 plus. I'm trying to stay fit and also maintain my muscle. I'm also trying to look more energetic daytime, in the office. All this with less than 5 hrs of sleep a day before I had to get to the office the next morning. I almost always sleep late 'cos I can't sleep early. But's I'm aready used to it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think you should do lots of reading on diet and nutrition.

Shao-LiN
05-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Unless you are fasting for some religious purpose, I really don't see the point.

Bruise Brubaker
05-01-2005, 11:15 AM
fruit is full of toxins.

Fruits are not full of toxins. Especially those with a skin that you do not eat. They contain much more things that help in detoxification (that helps the liver, kidneys, etc.) than they toxify you...

Meat, by definition, contains more toxins.

monotone
05-01-2005, 11:45 AM

i would hope that no one would substitute their religion for weight lifting, you are an idiot.

ReelBigFish
05-01-2005, 02:29 PM
That's one of the things that makes me against organized religion. No one is gunna tell me how to live my life, especially when, what and if i can eat.
But seriously, think about it, would starving your body of the necessary nutrients and calories it needs to survive, be better than fueling your body and keeping it energized....I dont think so.

TheGimp
05-01-2005, 03:15 PM
But seriously, think about it, would starving your body of the necessary nutrients and calories it needs to survive, be better than fueling your body and keeping it energized....I dont think so.

Well, a calorie deficit is the only thing proven to prolong lifespan.

Sc00t
05-01-2005, 03:32 PM
i would hope that no one would substitute their religion for weight lifting, you are an idiot.
And yet some sociologists would say that this is just what the younger generations ARE doing. Giving up on religion and moving to more social religions such as the gym.

Whoopie, a bit of a cultiral debate on the WBB forums~!
-Sc00t.

Built
05-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, a calorie deficit is the only thing proven to prolong lifespan.
Really? There's no other way to improve your odds?

Strange that our lifespan is longer now than it was 500 years ago ...

:D

spencerjrus
05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you are fasting for any reason OTHER than religious beliefs, you are an idiot.

TheGimp
05-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Also check out the results of a day-on-day-off diet (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3668).

Really? There's no other way to improve your odds?

Strange that our lifespan is longer now than it was 500 years ago ...

:D

You are referring to modern medicine and sanitation? I guess I should have put it something like delay biological aging.

monotone
05-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you are fasting for any reason OTHER than religious beliefs, you are an idiot.

i also agree with that aswell

Canadian Crippler
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
i would hope that no one would substitute their religion for weight lifting, you are an idiot.If someone substitutes their religion for weight lifting, all it means is that they don't take their religion very seriously and weight lifting is a higher priority for them. What is wrong with that?

cosmicdebree88
05-01-2005, 06:44 PM
:withstupi

Since this went onto page two I just wanna clarify that I'm agreeing with CC. :burger:

Unholy
05-01-2005, 07:52 PM
"From worms to mice, virtually every kind of animal fed a reduced calorie diet has been found to live longer - up to 40 per cent longer in some cases. But it has yet to be shown that such a diet extends human life."

TheGimp
05-01-2005, 08:19 PM
And how would you propose testing it? :)

Paul Stagg
05-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Longer doesn't mean better.

Further, there isn't 'proof' of this. No study has 'proven' anything WRT caloric intake and lifespan. One can certainly tie caloric intake to obesity, which could be tied to longevity (and quality of life), however these studies essentially define the 'norm' - what's where in a normal distribution.

How many of them address body composition? Don't you think it possible one who eats a lot, but has low body fat might also live longer/healthier? Is that addressed inthese studies?

Bottom line, there is no reason to regularly fast like this, and it is counter productive to anything related to improving your physique or improving strength or fitness.

Ritzol
05-03-2005, 09:31 PM
a 24 hour fast will not detoxify your body... there is no way. There is too many toxins in the body to rid in that amount of time.

Why don't you just go have a foot bath or something? There are holistic ways, the foot bath being one of detoxifying the body which are much more effective and safe than a 24 hour fast. Besides.... what's the point of fasting for 24 hours? So on the 25th hour you start putting toxins back into your body?

All whey protein contains toxins......phytotoxins... found in dairy products. It also encourages mucus growth which can begin to overwhelm the lymphatic system and cause problems. Detoxifying the body and keeping it realitively clean is a lot more difficult than you would think.

Vitalize
05-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Dosen't drinking lots of water flush out all impurities anyway?

body
05-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Fruits are not full of toxins. Especially those with a skin that you do not eat. They contain much more things that help in detoxification (that helps the liver, kidneys, etc.) than they toxify you...

Meat, by definition, contains more toxins.

what definition of meat do you use? I have a feeling it will be different to mine and most peoples.

Fruits may contain substance to help remove toxins from your body. However this does not change the fact that there are lots toxins in fruits.
Fruit has evolved over the years so it can get through to spread the seeds. A way to do this is to get through you as quick as possible. But other times they have added toxins to prevent animals from grazing on them.
See the huge long list of poison plants? eg nightshade
How long is the list of toxic mamals?
which list is longer?
plants contain things like phytates, glucosinolates, thiocyannates, solanine, cycasin. spices in large dose besdie giving you a burning mouth can effec the nervous system.
This list can go on.
the amount of people who are allergic/intolerant to foods. see peanut allergy.

How many people are allergic to a big juicy rare sirlion steak?

body
05-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Dosen't drinking lots of water flush out all impurities anyway?

depends on the impurity. water more likely to have a effect on water soluble substance.
But e.g. DDT its not going to have any effect on.

leanmuscle
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
fasting??? on a muscle board? NEVER, must have food to grow