PDA

View Full Version : Clever yet modest journal title

twm
05-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Alright, with the end of the spring semester and the middle of a cut, I'm going to start my first journal; up until now, I don't even know what I plan on doing until I get to the gym. I've been struggling with what I thought was shin splints since January. I finally broke down in March and saw a doctor at who diagnosed it as "severe" tendonitis. 11 days ago, I started a PredniSONE 10 day series (cortisone). I just finished the last of the 10 day series and I feel MUCH better - infinitely better, almost. I was limping around like a pathetic bastard all semester but now I feel much more capable. This is tied in lower down...

Anyways, apart from my leg problems and other BS aside, I had a pretty successful bulk. I gained very acceptable strength in shoulders, gained moderately well in chest/back, but slowly lost a ton of leg strength from tendonitis and as a result, I'm going to be extra strict about form and not moving weights up too quickly to avoid reinjury. I should also point out that I have to ignore my calves until tendonitis is completely gone, I can still feel its presence despite how much better it feels. Now that I'm somewhat rehabbed though, Monday I start my routine I've layed out:

Monday- Legs
------------
Squats: 3x8
BB Lunge: 3x8
Dec. Weighted Situps: 3x12

Tuesday- Chest & tris
-------------------
DB Incline bench: 3x8
Cable XO's: 3x8
Weighted dips: 3x8 (or fail, whichever comes first)

Thursday- Shoulders
--------------
Arnold Presses: 3x8
Upright row: 3x8
Rear db row: 3x8

Friday- Back
-------------
Sumo Deadlifts: 3x8
Bent-over BB row: 2x12
Weighted pullups: 3x[undetermined: I haven't done weighted ones and I'm fairly certain I can't do 12, especially with weight]
Dec. Weighted Situps: 3x12

This doesn't include warmup/buildup sets.

I have a ton more deltoid mass on my front and side than I do on my rears. The rear delt looks and feels really undeveloped, so I'm going to try to put a little more oomph into that and would appriciate any tips, etc. I know my legs are really weak so don't laugh too hard at my expense... please :).

My diet is pretty much out of control and my appetite is tremendous, like most of you. I never measure stuff out but I'm going to make an effort to do so. Please kick my ass if I don't. :cool:

-------------------------------
Here are my vital statistics:
Weight: 190
BF%: ~16-20%
Lifting time: 2 years
Proper lifting: 1 year, arguably no years since I haven't been doing legs all year so far
Tan lines: embarassingly, "keep-your-shirt-on" terrible
Here are my current stats and weights I'm positive I can rep at and will start with next week:

Inc DB-BP: 80x8 :( (very conservative, I usually use the barbell)
Full SQ: 145x8 :(
Sumo DL: 225x8 :(
DB Arnolds: 70x8 :(
Here are my goals for by the end of this summer (2005):

Inc DB-BP: 90x8
Full SQ: 185x8
Sumo DL: 275x8
DB Arnolds: 80x8

I've been plotting all this out for the last 2 weeks and I can't wait to start Monday. I'm planning to crash around 10pm tonight. Here was my meals from today:

Breakfast: 2 cups of cereal, 4 cut up strawberries (too late to measure, already threw the box away). Today I was out of eggs. I usually just have 4 egg whites scrambled and 2 pieces of dry toast (Jake Blues :)).

Lunch:
2 slices of wheat: 220 cal, 20g carbs, 8g protein
4 slices of swiss: unknown content (est: 110 cal/slice, 8g protein/slice)
4 slices of turkey: unknown content (est: 150 cal/slice, 8g protein/slice)
1 cup of cheezits: 160 cal, 8g carbs, 3g protein
Total: ~1420 cal, 60g carbs, 75g protein

Dinner:
6 oz pasta = 600 cal, 126g carbs, 21g protein
6 oz tuna = 175 cal, 0g carbs, 37g protein
2 oz parmesan = 225 cal, 0g carbs, 22.5g protein (what is the deal with parmesan? how can a serving possibly be 2 tsps?)
Total: 1000 cal, 126g carbs, 80.5g protein

Daily subtotal: 2420 cal, 186g carbs, 155.5g protein

twm
05-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I forgot to mention: my main, utmost and final goal is sheer, muscular bulk. I never want to stop and I wish I could lift all day everyday to get there.. damn you sleep and rest :(

twm
05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Monday:

Squat:
135x8
155x8
155x8
155x6

BB Lunge:
95x8
95x6

Weighted Decline situps:
90x12
90x8

Breakfast:
4 egg whites
2 pieces of wheat
1 cup of milk

Lunch:
2 slices of wheat
4 slices of swiss
4 slices of turkey
2 cups of milk

Comments: I feel extremely drained, my neigbors ceiling fan kept on waking me up in the night. I'm going to ask her to stop using it I think. I've never mentioned it before so who knows who this will go. Its so ****ing loud its been ruining my sleep the past few weeks. Other than that, legs feel really worked, although I'm disappointed I can't squat more... such is progress.

twm
05-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I've been contemplating the training I've done over the past few years and I think that my biggest shortcoming (besides not eating enough, intially) was not giving a program enough time. I am going to stick to this until the bitter, bitter end when some results finally come together.

twm
05-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Ok, dinner last night was:
6 oz pasta = 600 cal, 126g carbs, 21g protein
6 oz tuna = 175 cal, 0g carbs, 37g protein
2 oz parmesan = 225 cal, 0g carbs, 22.5g protein

Breakfast:
4 egg whites and a partial yellow that broke
2 slices of wheat

I just took my econ final today... pretty easy. Only 1 more important final to go an I am done for the semester. Today, chest! Leaving for the gym in about an hour and 15. I'd leave earlier, but my secret girlfriend doesnt workout until 10:15ish :) I'm probably gonna walk my dog for 30-40 minutes since I have nothing to do until I goto the gym. He had an ear infection for the past 2 weeks but it is looking really nice now. He is peppier too, which is good and bad.

My legs feel extremely worked today and my tendonitis is pretty good. I didn't feel any discomfort at all yesterday which is fantastic. I was secretly expecting the worst. I can't wait until I am fully healed and I can re-add calve work to leg day.

twm
05-03-2005, 09:16 AM
5/3/05: Chest
weight: 192

rating: 3/5
DB Inc
70x8
85x8
90x6
90x4
85x5

weighted dips:
35x8
35x6

cable xo:
42.5x8
50x8

Felt really weak today.. probably a combination of cutting and feeling so drained from legs yesterday. I'm debating dropping DB inc press in favor of flat BB press since my shoulders have their own day and DB incline press is no doubt sapping some shoulder strength prematurely.

My sunburn is clearing up but as a result, my chest broke out the worst since I can remember. My cutting goal was 175lbs, but I am losing confidence as my lifts get weaker and weaker from cutting. I weighed in at 192 but this was after breakfast, milk and a bunch of water. I think my actual weight is somewhere in the neighborhood of 188-189. Slowly, I'm getting to 175 - but I'm trying not to get discouraged too much since I've already lost 26lbs on this cut since I started in March. Clearly, this cut is working out very poorly strength-wise due to not being careful enough with counting calories.

twm
05-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Also, I slept through the night completely, I think.. I have vague memories of waking up but I can't really remember if I did or if it was lucid dreaming. I'm buying some swimmers wax earplugs today. If those won't keep noise out, nothing will. And now, lunch:

2 slices of wheat
4 slices of turkey
4 slices of swiss
2 cups of milk
1 cup of cheezits

twm
05-05-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm switching back and shoulder day. My hamstrings didn't feel good enough to do deads today. Right leg started feeling worse. Went to the campus health facility 2 days ago and the same doctor as before put me on 500mg Naproxen for 2-4 weeks, depending effectiveness etc. 1 more final today at 6:30 then I'm done for the semester.

5/5/05 Cinco de Mayo
Weight: 194
sleep: 8 solid hours

DB arnolds:
50'sx8
70'sx8
70'sx7
70'sx7

upright row:
95x8
105x8
105x8

Rear delt db row:
45x8
45x8
45x8

twm
05-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Date: 5/6/05
Weight: 194 (actually 195, I ate a sandwich latenight because I was so hungry :(, but I'm pretending I'm 194)
Sleep: 9 solid hours
Rating: 4/5

Sumo deads:
135x6
185x6
225x5
225x5
225x5

Pullups:
2x8xBW

BB Row:
115x8
115x8
115x8

Weighted situps:
90x8
90x8

Comments:
Overslept today in honor of finishing the semester with a 3.2 after almost not being able to dig myself out of a hole. Deads felt ****ty today, I tweaked my back a bit last night sleeping somehow. Pullups felt good, I think I'm going to add 10lbs to BW next week. Each peak and trough had a solid pause, I felt real strong doing em, especially in front of the 20 odd elliptical machines filled with hot girls - motivation at its best :). BB row was a different story. Previously, it was my main back exercise, but as deadlifts are now, I dropped the weight to 115x8 from 155x8 and holy cow, was I right on the money. I did them with a pause at the peek and trough totally controlled and they worked me pretty well. Next week, I'm plan to do 125, but I will feel it out. Weighted situps were easy, adding a 25lb plate next week. In my first set though, I definitely let loose a huge fart in the middle of my set.. I had my headphones on so I dunno if it was silent or not.. but it sure didn't feel silent hahah. Fortunately, it didn't smell so I finished up that and the next set and left. Sunburn is done, going tanning in a few minutes in hopes of losing this ****ing farmers tan.

twm
05-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Date: 5/9/05
Weight: 194
Sleep: 8-9 solid hours
Rating: 4/5

Squat:
135x8
155x8
165x8
175x7

BB Lunge:
-

Leg press:
1pps x8
2pps x8
2.5pps x7 (2 45's, 1 25)

Comments: I feel great today, I started taking ETS last friday and while my opinion is not scientific in any way, shape or form, my tendonitis in my right calve is gone. I can't say if this is because of ETS, as this is a fallacy, but ETS in conjunction with Naproxen, natural healing time, and perhaps some other factors, I feel 100%. Squats felt great, I didn't go quite ATF today but I was below parallel by more than a bit. My hamstrings feel real tight still and I couldn't keep my balance while doing BB Lunge, so I did leg press instead. 1 & 2 pps came really easy but I failed before the first rep on 3 pps to my embarassment. I dropped it to 2.5 pps and did a set of 7 without rest time after I failed. Overall feeling today: very good, except for lunges. I have been doing dynamic stretches 5 days a week for the past 2ish weeks trying to overcome my flexibility and hopefully that will continue to develop well. I think I will be ATFing around 225 by late July/mid August at the latest. My quads have lost a lot of size but I think it will come back to me fairly quickly to a point. It seems as if I'm making beginners gains again in my legs.. 155 felt really heavy on my legs (sadly, I can easily shoulder press this) last week but this week, the weight was moving fairly easily.

In other news, I saw one of my favorite girls at the gym. She is straight up incredible looking. Fantastic abs and ass.. and loves to wear spandex. I like how she has her hair in a tight and high pony tail too. Something to hold on to :)

twm
05-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Date: 5/10/05
Weight: 191
Sleep: 7ish solid hours
Rating: 3/5

BB Bench:
138x8
165x8
185x8
185x8
185x7
165x9
135x13

Cable XO:
47.5x8
50x8
57.5x6

W. Dips:
35x7
35x5
35x6
BWx8

W. Dec. Situps:
45x8
90x8
115x8

Side Bends:
90x8
90x8

Comments: I'm really tired today. So far the pattern has shown that I am drained the day after leg day. I feel much less DOMS today in my legs than last week. Perhaps this is due to ETS, perhaps not. I'm down 3lbs from yesterday. I was a real bastard this weekend and overate the whole weekend. I'm kind of pissed at myself for that since I'm wasting more time than necessary in this cut. I'm buckling down and not eating anymore ****ty snack food until I hit 180. Once there, I'm going to try to bulk as cleanly as possible. Hardly anyone in the gym today except this disgusting looking PT. I can't believe anyone hires this woman, she looks like **** - all fat and disgusting looking. How is it possible anyone could take her seriously?

twm
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I've thought about it a great deal today and I am setting a deadline. Whatever weight I am by May 29th, my birthday, OR when I hit 180lbs is the weight I start bulking at until December, when I start cutting again. SO IT IS WRITTEN AND SO IT WILL BE! :)

twm
05-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Date: 5/12/05
Weight: 193
Sleep: 6 ****ty hours
Rating: 0/5

Arnold Presses:
50x8
70x8
70x8
70x7

Upright Row:
95x8
105x8
105x8

Rear Delt DB:
50x8
50x8
50x8

Comments: I drank a few beers last night chilling with some people I havent seen in a while. I feel stiff this morning. Dunno if its from the alcohol or not enough sleep or what. In either case, I didn't get to bed til 1:30 and probably didn't fall asleep until 2 or later. I wokeup at 8:00am though like ****ing clockwork so needless to say I don't feel too hot today. My back feels real ****ty. Tendonitis is present today but not bad. I might take a whole week off next week and just do cardio 3-4 times. I'm tempted to see an ortho about my back. This **** has gone on for too long despite me taking it as easy as humanly possible while still lifting. The answer might be (probably is) to just stop lifting for a while. I don't know if I can come to grips with that, I am just going do light bench and squat 2x/week while resting as much as possible. If I see a doctor, I just ****ing know he'll say something along the lines of "lol lifting weights is bad for you." The uni doctors don't know a goddamn thing about athletics and injuries.. the athletic department must have their own team of doctors/advisors.. I can't imagine them sending their players to the student health facility with the kind of advice they have given me.

All in all, I'm ****ing pissed off that my back is bothering me and it makes me want to bash my everything in my apartment. I'm dropping shoulder day and back day including deads. While arnold presses are more comfortable for my shoulder, all of this overhead and bent over work is ****ing me up bad.. it can't be anything else. I'll miss deads/bb row, but this **** is just not getting better. Its been more than a year since this first started.. xrays have shown nothing wrong with my back and using light-weight and high reps haven't helped. I'm almost ****ing ready to bite the bullet and pay my deductable to get an MRI taken but I really, really don't want to.

From now on:

Day 1: Squat 5x5 + warmup
Day 2: Chest 5x5 + warmup

Day 4: Squat 8x3 + warmup
Day 5: Chest 8x3 + warmup

No assistance exercises

Probably a ****ty routine, but I don't ****ing care. These are the only 2 exercises that don't irritate my back/tendonitis. This is shaping up to be a real ****ing ****ty summer so far. In other news, cutting sucks and my dog chased down and tore apart a squirrel this morning.. I am very proud of him.