PDA

View Full Version : Cardio for Bulking???

Doubles
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I was wondering if it is a good idea to run about 20 mins. before you begin lifting? Im trying to bulk up and I heard that getting oxygen into your blood by running is better than just starting right up and lifting.

Built
05-02-2005, 09:02 AM
No. You'll have sh!tty lifts.

Do it after, or at a different time.

Or not at all, while bulking.

TwiloMike
05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Why would you want to spend so much energy on running? If anything, like Built said, use whatever energy you have left after you lift to run. This is not to say that you should not warm up... but 20 mins of cardio a priori lifting is counterproductive if you're trying to bulk.

Built
05-02-2005, 10:29 AM
...or cut.

Doubles
05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
ok, so you think I should run after I lift? Or should I just run on different days. Because I want to bulk up, but at the same time I want cut.

Built
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
You can't do both.

Sorry

Doubles
05-02-2005, 02:39 PM
that sucks

Wild Cat McCane
05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
may I suggest a very clean bulk?

Isaac Wilkins
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
You can't do both.

Sorry

You certainly can, but it's a long and complicated process.

To the original poster:

The reason they're telling you not to run before you lift is that it'll tire you out for lifting. If you wanted to do a light five minute jog or something like that to warm up that would be fine.

Doing cardio while bulking is also fine. One just needs to account for the calories burnt up while doing the cardio, so eat more. If you naturally have a very fast metabolism this can get difficult and in that case one should ease down on the cardio.

Built
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
You certainly can, but it's a long and complicated process.

To the original poster:

The reason they're telling you not to run before you lift is that it'll tire you out for lifting. If you wanted to do a light five minute jog or something like that to warm up that would be fine.

Doing cardio while bulking is also fine. One just needs to account for the calories burnt up while doing the cardio, so eat more. If you naturally have a very fast metabolism this can get difficult and in that case one should ease down on the cardio.

Hmmmm... perhaps I should have been more clear.

You CAN add LBM while cutting, particularly if you're a new lifter and carrying excess bodyfat to begin with.

I know this is true, because I've done it myself.

But I would hardly call that BULKING while cutting.

And eating extra to make up for the cardio seems like a lot of work just to eat more, not much like a bulk at all.

Unless I'm missing something here... :scratch:

Isaac Wilkins
05-02-2005, 04:42 PM
The cardio helps some people control their bulk and give them some more dietary freedom. Not every bulk is an all-out free Willy bulk.

Some people (not me) like to do cardio. If they like it, keep doing it.

A lot of people who post these types of questions don't really know what "bulk" means, or misapply it despite their actual goals.

Built
05-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Ah. Thanks for that Borris.

Personally, I hate cardio, so the though of doing it on purpose seems alien...

:D

Doubles
05-03-2005, 02:05 PM
I dont like cardio either. But here is the look I am going for right now: I want to have a lot more muscle than I have now. In addition, I want to burn off the disgusting body fat on me. So basically, I dont just want to be huge, I want to be huge in muscle only, and have very little body fat. DO i just need to watch my diet, or is it possibl for me to bulk up in muscle, but cut my fat down about 15-20 lbs at the same time?

D Breyer
05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
do it in steps bud,

cut until you are comfortable with your bf% then bulk.

Built
05-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I dont like cardio either. But here is the look I am going for right now: I want to have a lot more muscle than I have now. In addition, I want to burn off the disgusting body fat on me. So basically, I dont just want to be huge, I want to be huge in muscle only, and have very little body fat. DO i just need to watch my diet, or is it possibl for me to bulk up in muscle, but cut my fat down about 15-20 lbs at the same time?

I added muscle while dropping fat when I first started lifting. Newbie lifters can often achieve this. But if you've been at it a while, no.

And I'd hardly qualify what I managed a "bulk". I did do some recomposition, but I think of a bulk as considerably more mass getting packed on.

My .02

shansen008
05-05-2005, 12:42 AM
So basically, I dont just want to be huge, I want to be huge in muscle only, and have very little body fat.

Im pretty sure this is everyones goal.

Zygote
07-23-2005, 06:06 AM
I find running very relaxing. Theres a sort of zone you get into thats kinda like meditation. So I run everyday even when bulking, keeps my heart healthy and my metabolism elevated for twice as long as if I just lifted alone.

I think one extra benefit is when it comes time to cut, I'm so fit that the pain usually associated with running (burning calves, burning lungs etc) just doesn't exist for me.

Zygote