PDA

View Full Version : Bulking with shakes

HILL
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
im currently just starting my 4th week of proper bulking and ive been hiting 3500 calories a day. i now am upping this to 4000 as im geting bigger and am managing to not put on to much fat. I think im going to struggle getting this many calories in without using shakes alot. ive made a shake out of oats, whey protein, milk,peanut butter,ice,banana it works out as

700 calories
60protein
60 carbs
20 fat

now im thinking of having these 4 times a day one at 6 am then one at 8am then another at 4pm 1 1/2 hours pre workout then one before i go to bed this allows me to get 2800 calories before eating any proper food making my 400 calorie targetseem much easier to meet what do you guys think or is this to many cals from shakes.

as always your info is much appreciated

HahnB
05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I get 75% of my calories from mixed shakes.

Unholy
05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Definatly have the shakes, the more calories you get the better, well to a certain extent atleast. I do not know how you get 700 cals

2 cup milk- 240cal
1 scoop protein- 120cal
1 cup oats-300 cal
1 banana- 120 cal
2 tbl spoons PB- 200 cal

Thats almost 1000 calories from one nice sized shake :) I would have one in the morning, eat normal food all day. And then at night or after you workout have another with an extra scoop of protein. That would make the post workoutone 1100 calories.

Anthony
05-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I have a similar shake for breakfast - milk, protein, oats, and peanut butter ... fits into a normal sized glass and is 980 calories. :D Tastes pretty good too. The key is to blend the oats into a powder!

smalls
05-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I also use a similar shake about 5+ times per day. Milk+oatmeal+whey+egg protein. I get olive oil and pb in other shakes.
Provided you are getting your macro and micronutrient need's taken care of there is no reason to worry about getting most of your cals from shakes.

Teufelhund
05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
man... all that making and blending and stuff... I would have a hard time spending that much time preparing food and cleaning up after myself every day.

I've been getting 2/3 of my calories from what I think is the cheapest bulking powder ever made (serious mass) and protein. Its been about 4 years now I guess, and its done me pretty well.

HahnB
05-02-2005, 05:07 PM
man... all that making and blending and stuff... I would have a hard time spending that much time preparing food and cleaning up after myself every day.

I've been getting 2/3 of my calories from what I think is the cheapest bulking powder ever made (serious mass) and protein. Its been about 4 years now I guess, and its done me pretty well.

I think it's a lot easier than cleaning up after grilling a hamburger. All I do is blend in a blender, rinse out the blender briefley just to get the milk out and then fill it up with water and let it sit until I use it again(2 hours at the most). By then the peanut butter is practically liquid and washes right off along with anything else. I wash it real good about 2 times a week with soap:)

Adam
05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
:withstupi

But i only wash every weeks/10days.

Just be sure to rinse it out thouroughouly

ryuage
05-02-2005, 05:20 PM
but food just taste so much better :)

Max-Mex
05-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Shakes are food, just all mixed together!

ReelBigFish
05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I would starve trying to drink shakes all day. Plus food is awesome.

smalls
05-02-2005, 09:53 PM
:withstupi

But i only wash every weeks/10days.

Just be sure to rinse it out thouroughouly

I have never washed my blender or my protein shaker with soap. Warm water seems to do the trick. LOL.

The 6100 cals I get from shakes fills me up like a mother ****er.

Beholder
05-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Definatly have the shakes, the more calories you get the better, well to a certain extent atleast. I do not know how you get 700 cals

2 cup milk- 240cal
1 scoop protein- 120cal
1 cup oats-300 cal
1 banana- 120 cal
2 tbl spoons PB- 200 cal

Thats almost 1000 calories from one nice sized shake :) I would have one in the morning, eat normal food all day. And then at night or after you workout have another with an extra scoop of protein. That would make the post workoutone 1100 calories.

When you say 1 scoop of protein do you mean from like a flavored protein powder or??
Having 2 of those shakesa day would make my life so much easier ><

HILL
05-03-2005, 05:23 AM
thanks alot guy for the imput i use a mint choc chip whey in mine tastes rather nice

Max-Mex
05-03-2005, 06:15 AM

Well the point of shakes isn't to live off them. IMO, they are meant to be added to regular food. Since shakes are liquified (for the most part), your body will digest them rather quickly. I usually end up feeling hungry soon after a shake.

JesseM
05-05-2005, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=Teufelhund]man... all that making and blending and stuff... I would have a hard time spending that much time preparing food and cleaning up after myself every day.QUOTE]

I try not to deal with the blender more than once a day, lately not at all. I have found that the laura schudders natty peanut butter when left out of the fridge for about 10 minutes shakes up pretty well in one of my sports bottles, no need to blend. The adams natty peanut butter on the other hand I can leave that stuff out for an hour and it will still be clumpy as hell unless blended.

BigMatt
05-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Oats+ whey= Good shake

I want to try this one time

Nattural Oats+ Egg whites(Cooked) in the blender.Maybe add one banana.

Chizniz16
05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
do you need to put the oats and or penut butter in the blender or can it go directly in the shaker cup.

JesseM
05-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Oats definatley have to be blended and even then I've found it easier just to eat them. Certain PB's like the laura schudders brand (a smuckers product) can go directly in the shaker if left out for a little bit. I've tried other nattys and the schudders for some reason is the only one that seems to work directly in the shaker cup.

spencerjrus
05-05-2005, 09:16 PM
I hate food.