PDA

View Full Version : protein waste

tsungwei
05-03-2005, 03:36 AM
i usually like to make a protein shake
2 scoops whey 3 scoops casein
mixed with about 24 ounces of milk.

i will sip on this at random times during the day

this consistency is almost as thick as a milkshake.

how much of this 150+ grams of protein will be absorbed ?

is it bad because i am not mixing it with enough water/milk?

lets say i drank it all at once. how much would be absorbed?

also... is it necessary to mix 2 scoop whey with 3 scoop casein for slower digestion? since i am using milk would it be ok to just use 5 scoops whey? casein is expensive and mixes harder.

thanks

TheGimp
05-03-2005, 04:12 AM
All of it will be absorbed

Not all of it will be used for muscle building

Shao-LiN
05-03-2005, 07:11 AM
also... is it necessary to mix 2 scoop whey with 3 scoop casein for slower digestion? since i am using milk would it be ok to just use 5 scoops whey? casein is expensive and mixes harder.

thanks

You know milk has casein, right?

endoplasm
05-03-2005, 07:59 AM
All of it will be absorbed

Not all of it will be used for muscle building

Should it count as 150g (or whatever) of the daily protien intake then? I drink some whey with every meal, but am wondering if that just isn't a waste too. Would more of it be utilized if it were from food sources, or is it too much at once?

TheGimp
05-03-2005, 10:30 AM
These kinds of questions are very difficult to answer.

The fact is, with the recommendation of at least 1g / lb of bodyweight in protein, it is unlikely all of that will be used for muscle building, it is simply to ensure that there is enough.

I would absolutely split that much protein out over the day, not because it won't be absorbed, but because only a proportion of it will be used for muscle building and the rest for energy.

Your routine of drinking whey with each meal is not necessarily a bad plan, depending on how much it is, because it will ensure that each meal has a great amino acid profile