PDA

View Full Version : Carbs and Cutting

CBates
12-04-2001, 03:34 PM
I have a question regarding cutting and carbs. I have been reading a lot of previous posts on the subject, but now I'm more confused then before because of different opinions. Before on my cutting diets I would eat high protein, med fats, and low carbs. Well after about a month I would lose way too much muscle mass, but I would be cut. I'm looking for type of carbs I can eat on my cutting diet now so I won't lose as much muscle, but still lose the fat. For example, fruits, vegs., oatmeal, pasta, breads, or rice?? Thanks for any advice.

Jane
12-04-2001, 04:53 PM
to tell you the truth i am not too wellread on this subject, but in my honest opinion, i dont understand how carbs could help you preserve muscle mass. they are used for energy and are burnt up by the body, right? so i think the best ways to try and preserve muscle is to get plenty of protein and keep lifting.

PowerManDL
12-04-2001, 05:10 PM
They can spare muscle because, when carbs are low, muscle tissue is a prime source of aminos to be converted into glucose. This is especially true in those of us with excess (from a metabolic standpoint) muscle mass.

Jane
12-04-2001, 05:16 PM
ah...i see. but still, wouldn't it be better to have protein rather than carbohydrate?

PowerManDL
12-04-2001, 05:28 PM
Can you consume that much protein in a day? Better, would you *want* to?

ElPietro
12-05-2001, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Can you consume that much protein in a day? Better, would you *want* to?

mmmm....steak...

gopro
12-05-2001, 07:51 AM
How high do you keep your protein? When I diet for a show, where the main goal is to lose fat and spare muscle, I will go as high as 2 grams per lb of bodyweight of protein and as low as 1/4 grams of carbs per lb. I keep my intake of EFA's quite high as well ( fish oil, flax oil, olive oil). This plan always seems to get me ripped while keeping much of my muscle size.

CBates
12-05-2001, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by gopro
How high do you keep your protein? When I diet for a show, where the main goal is to lose fat and spare muscle, I will go as high as 2 grams per lb of bodyweight of protein and as low as 1/4 grams of carbs per lb. I keep my intake of EFA's quite high as well ( fish oil, flax oil, olive oil). This plan always seems to get me ripped while keeping much of my muscle size.

I'm only taking in a little over 200 grams of protein per day. My body weight is 170 lbs, so I probably need up my protein intake quite a bit then. The only thing kind of hard about that is my work shift, I work 13 hour shifts so every break I get I eat protein meals (chicken, tuna, protein shake, cottage cheese), but to be able to get the correct amount I'll probably have to add some meals in between my breaks.. Far as carbs, I know I need to add more of them to my diet. The only carbs I intake a day is a banana before my morning working, what little carbs that are in my skim milk that I take with my protein shakes, and some veggies that I usually eat at night when I get home from work. As far as either cutting or just trying to maintain my body fat, what would you recommend as some more carbs that I can add into my diet? As far as the protein, I'll probably just take 2 extra cans of tuna with me to work and snack on those when I'm not busy to increase my protein intake. Thanks for the input.

Reinier
12-05-2001, 10:19 AM
how do you eat twice your weight of P every day?
I mean damn all that protein powder or whatever your taking...
protein is the most expensive macronutrient most of the time isn`t it?

just what is cheap and is loaded with protein?

codei
12-05-2001, 11:15 AM
tuna, 2 cans for 98 cents, 32g of protein/can. that seems pretty cheap to me and if i go through a 10lb bag of protein in a little over a month thats about $46, which is also not bad. i think if you are careful its probably cheaper to eat healthy instead of like a slob.

gopro
12-06-2001, 06:47 AM
I eat 4 meals and 4 MRP's with extra protein added in each day.

As for good carbs...oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, barley, wheat pasta...BUT NOT FRUIT...fruit sugar, or fructose, is not conducive to fat loss. This type of sugar is easily turned into triglycerides and stored as fat. Good complex carbs...early in the day, veggies as the day goes on...thats your best bet.

PrimeTime
12-06-2001, 06:59 AM
Damn, if that's the case I've been eating too much fruit over the past few months!! If I had known that awhile back I wouldnt be eating so much fruit, only a banana after my workout!! And I thought fruit was a good thing to eat while trying to lose that last little bit of weight!

the doc
12-06-2001, 07:05 AM
*agrees w/ gopro*