PDA

View Full Version : Lifting and HIIT for weightloss. When to do in theory and reality?

Behemoth
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
MMkay. Both weightlifting and HIIT increase BMR, right? And to go along with this it's always said that "you'll burn more calories throughout the day if you do it earlier". But in reality would there be any difference in fatloss doing it at 9pm rather than 9am? Why does it matter if you burn the calories if you're awake or sleeping. I don't see why it would.

Beast
05-03-2005, 08:47 PM
When you wake up, your blood sugar is at its lowest point. That means that there is no ingested sugar for you to burn. Instead of burning off the calories from a meal, doing cardio in the morning taps into more of your stored fat. Also, the cardio in the morning increases your metabolism for the rest of the day.

ryuage
05-03-2005, 08:48 PM
but i wouldnt suggest hiit on an empty stomach

MnM
05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
ryuage
but i wouldnt suggest hiit on an empty stomach

Y not?

Behemoth
05-04-2005, 03:15 PM
When you wake up, your blood sugar is at its lowest point. That means that there is no ingested sugar for you to burn. Instead of burning off the calories from a meal, doing cardio in the morning taps into more of your stored fat. Also, the cardio in the morning increases your metabolism for the rest of the day.

Like ryuage said I'm not into HIIT on an empty stomache. I can't really remember the specifics why but it's really not necessary. I wouldn't really even advocate low intensity cardio on an empty stomache because it's just too close to catabolism.

What I'm asking for anybody who really know the science of HIIT is -- In reality would there be an appreciably difference of fatloss doing it earlier in the day as opposed to late in the day?

MnM
05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
If i can't do cardio in the morning ( just started). I'll try to do it at night that way i burned off some calories eaten and i won't eat before i go to bed.

Built
05-04-2005, 10:25 PM
HIIT is more like heavy lifting in sets than it is like regular, steady-state cardio. You wouldn't lift empty because it's catabolic to muscle, right? Same thing with HIIT.

Feed HIIT the same as you'd feed lifting.

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I am not asking for nutritional advice I'm looking for an answer to my original question. It seems like everybody has to chime in their little piece of knowledge to everything but what you asked these days. If you can't answer the question don't try to look smart and answer another.

*sigh* :)

Isaac Wilkins
05-05-2005, 04:09 PM
In the grand scheme of things it won't matter.

When you sleep your metabolic rate slows down some. If you sleep shortly after HIIT you'll keep a few extra calories.

Honestly it won't be enough to make a difference. 50-75 at most, probably.

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
In the grand scheme of things it won't matter.

When you sleep your metabolic rate slows down some. If you sleep shortly after HIIT you'll keep a few extra calories.

Honestly it won't be enough to make a difference. 50-75 at most, probably.

Thanks for answering. But aren't HIIT and weight training more important to weightloss than just calories? At least with HIIT I thought it was supposed to burn far more fat than other activities that burn the same amount of calories. Which is pretty much the big hype of it. That theory also has me wondering, if that is true then that pretty much means that calories in vs. calories out is incorrect.

waynis
05-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't really think it would matter. What I would be a bit concerned about is doing hiit or cardio then going to bed without eating anything. This could realease cortisol if you don't take in anything after running. Would you be eating something after your 9pm cardio session?

PowerManDL
05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for answering. But aren't HIIT and weight training more important to weightloss than just calories? At least with HIIT I thought it was supposed to burn far more fat than other activities that burn the same amount of calories. Which is pretty much the big hype of it. That theory also has me wondering, if that is true then that pretty much means that calories in vs. calories out is incorrect.

It does oxidize more fat.

Unfortuantely, if you're still eating significantly over maintenance, those calories will come from dietary fat. So total calorie is still very important.

HIIT and lifting aren't get out of jail free cards when it comes to eating. They simply increase calorie expenditure and *might* have some limited effect on partitioning calories towards muscle.

I don't think timing it makes that much difference. As long as the activity occurs, it's really not going to matter when.

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Wayneis - Yes I eat after HIIT just as I would weightlifting, regardless of what time it is.

1 - It does oxidize more fat.

2 - Unfortuantely, if you're still eating significantly over maintenance, those calories will come from dietary fat. So total calorie is still very important.

3 - HIIT and lifting aren't get out of jail free cards when it comes to eating. They simply increase calorie expenditure and *might* have some limited effect on partitioning calories towards muscle.

4 - I don't think timing it makes that much difference. As long as the activity occurs, it's really not going to matter when.

2 - This is exercise when calories are below maintenance. However, why is it that if calories are over maintance the body will go for dietary fat rather than bodyfat for energy?.

3 - Isn't this contrary to #1? Do they simply increase calorie expenditure or do they oxidize more fat? Perhaps I'm not comprehending?

4 - Thanks, and since I respect your opinion this is very helpful.