PDA

View Full Version : foreman grill question

AzBboy
05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi all you foreman grill users. I have been concidering purchasing one of these gadgets, they have been all the rage, and I have ONLY heard positive responses about them, but only one question remains. How do you know how much fat to deduct from the label's reading? For example, if 4 oz extra lean pork shoulder contains 5g of fat, after cooking it on the foreman grill, how do I know how many grams to deduct from the original 5? weigh the fat? haha seems kinda extreme, what do you users do?

mihorne
05-04-2005, 01:11 AM
just eat it.

Unholy
05-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Yu, just dont worry about it, but its true I make lean meat like turkey patties and still get a tablespoon of water/fat out of em. And they still end up nice and juicy.

J450n
05-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi all you foreman grill users. I have been concidering purchasing one of these gadgets, they have been all the rage, and I have ONLY heard positive responses about them,

Just to alter the 'against' percentage slightly - Bought one couple of years ago, thinking it would enrich my life - it didn't. I cooked on it numerous times and tended not to enjoy eating dry meat, the stuck on food etc. Not used it for way over a year now, much prefer to oven bake or 'normal' grill, regardless of the extra time difference it may add, when not cooking on the Foreman. Save your money.

leanmuscle
05-04-2005, 11:50 AM
The Foreman is nice for convinience sake, but for flavor and taste I'd much rather fire up the grill. Apartment life though I lived off the Foreman.

Big Daddy Cruel
05-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Oven baking is superior. I have yet to try a real grill, though--apt. liver, and all.

AzBboy
05-04-2005, 06:43 PM
hmm dry meat...thanks for the heads up guys!

Unholy
05-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Marinades, its not dry at all, people tend to over cook on the forman grill. I cook everythign on it and its never dry if you know what you are doing.

Jabberwocky
05-04-2005, 07:27 PM
:withstupi

If the meat is dry your overcooking it, nothing to do with the grill at all.

wrestlemaniac
05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
really though, the forman doesn't "remove" fat. It just makes it so the food isn't cooked in the fat. You would most likely get the same effect from BBQing (even the "crushing" effect you get from closing the grill can be stimulated by simply pressing down on the food with a utensil while cooking).

Edit : but yeah, they are nice for preparing a quick no hassle chicken breast or what not.

Unholy
05-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Yup, you are right, but its better than frying food, and who can BBQ in the winter or even during the summer when they are on the run. This thing heats up in like 60 seconds.

METALASIAN
05-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Moral of the story: Foreman Grills rock.

Hard.

JesseM
05-05-2005, 08:23 AM
At first I liked the foreman grill, but really if you have a frying pan and a stove its quite unecessary. The top of my steak/chicken/salmon/whatever always seems too cook faster than the bottom on the foreman. I also find a frying pan easier to clean too.

J450n
05-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Marinades, its not dry at all, people tend to over cook on the forman grill. I cook everythign on it and its never dry if you know what you are doing.

If the meat is dry your overcooking it, nothing to do with the grill at all.

Oh ok, i made it all up and i'm mentally and physically unable to cook meat, be it based on if it looks cooked or if you follow cooking guidelines step by step :rolleyes: .

The only time i have ever had fairly 'moist' meat on the grill is when i undercooked it. It doesn't dry it out totally but compared to a normal grill or oven it does by far. I'm right this minute eating a turkey steak which i grilled on your basic oven grill - it's moist and has a decent taste to it - compared to when i used to cook it on the Foreman - dry, tough, chewy and almost tasteless. (Oh and definately not due to overcooking). Just one example of many. Take it or leave it.